• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I agree. There is definitely a risk and the batting is theoretically weakened. Theoretically as the batting all-rounders Aus has had recently can only be described as such somewhat tenuously.

The form of Haddin could be the thing that makes or breaks it. If he has another summer like he did last Ashes then the risk is a lot lower. His consistency since that time hasn't been there though. But maybe he will approach his innings differently knowing he is last of the batsmen. That last Ashes series he was always digging Aus out of trouble and the rest of the order is definitely stronger than it was then.

I think England would hate having the best 4 Aussie bowlers coming at them. All 4 are equal to or better than the English counterparts with the exception of Andersen if he gets it right but he isn't where he used to be.

T

Train Without a Station

I think on a batters wicket the ploy has merit, because you will have to bowl long overs so your 5th bowling option will thrown down plenty of overs. Whether it weakens you much in the batting is the risk.

On a spicy deck you probably weaken your greatest area of risk to provide support for bowlers who may not need it.

To win an opponent will always need to take 20 wickets, but they only have to face one bowler at a time.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Harris in doubt for the first test: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...est-due-to-knee-soreness-20150701-gi2xku.html

Which may not necessarily be a bad thing. The shadow of British WWI generals fighting the last war hovers over so much of modern human behaviour; picking what worked well in the past isn't always the best choice for attacking the future. Starc and Hazlewood are in a rare patch of form and are undoubtedly, injuries notwithstanding, in line to form the spearhead of our bowling attack for the forseeable future. Let it start now.

Have the Poms seen much of these two?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If Harris is even slightly doubtful then we can't pick him. His injury history suggests that he'll pull up poorly if we don't manage his workload. It's not like we don't have other great options.

T

Train Without a Station

Tough call on the line up for the first test.

Since the Windies series we've had players score the following:

Warner: 8, 23, 0, 62, 94 - Runs 187 @ 37.4
S Marsh: 19, 13*, 11, 69, 114 - Runs 226 @ 56.5
Rogers: 84, 45, 21 - Runs 150 @ 50
Smith: 25, 5*, 199, 54*, 111 - Runs 394 @ 131.33
Clarke: 18, 47, 14*, 56, 47, 0 - Runs 182 @ 36.4
Voges: 130*, 37, 49 - Runs - 216 @ 72
Watson: 11, 25, 21, 81, 52 - Runs - 190 @ 38
M Marsh: 30, 101*, 136* - Runs 267 @ 133.5

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Harris in doubt for the first test: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...est-due-to-knee-soreness-20150701-gi2xku.html

Which may not necessarily be a bad thing. The shadow of British WWI generals fighting the last war hovers over so much of modern human behavior; picking what worked well in the past isn't always the best choice for attacking the future. Starc and Hazlewood are in a rare patch of form and are undoubtedly, injuries notwithstanding, in line to form the spearhead of our bowling attack for the forseeable future. Let it start now.

Have the Poms seen much of these two?

"picking what worked well in the past isn't always the best choice for attacking the future."

This little statement says a lot @Lindomer, and imo applies to Rugby as well as cricket. I've taken the liberty of quoting it as my signature. Hope you don't mind.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tough call on the line up for the first test.

Since the Windies series we've had players score the following:

Warner: 8, 23, 0, 62, 94 - Runs 187 @ 37.4
S Marsh: 19, 13*, 11, 69, 114 - Runs 226 @ 56.5
Rogers: 84, 45, 21 - Runs 150 @ 50
Smith: 25, 5*, 199, 54*, 111 - Runs 394 @ 131.33
Clarke: 18, 47, 14*, 56, 47, 0 - Runs 182 @ 36.4
Voges: 130*, 37, 49 - Runs - 216 @ 72
Watson: 11, 25, 21, 81, 52 - Runs - 190 @ 38
M Marsh: 30, 101*, 136* - Runs 267 @ 133.5

Being pedantic @TWAS but if Mitchell Marsh has only been out once, then his average would be 267. He's starting to look the goods for the all rounders spot in the first test.

ABC radio this morning reporting Harris is in doubt for the whole series. Wonder if James Pattinson is fit and ready for a call up? Could ultimately be the best of a very good crop of young fast bowlers.

T

Train Without a Station

Indeed it would. I actually summed it as that, thought I got it wrong then adjusted it haha.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Quite concerning to note the performance of my favourite cricketer, Watson, in the recent game against Kent. Both Watson and Mitch Marsh played in this match, scoring 21 & 81 and 30 & 101*, respectively. Marsh bowled 11 overs in the first innings for 1/35 followed by 6 overs in the second yielding 1/28. Lehmann has always declared Watson's position in the side's conditional on his ability to bowl, in this match WATSON DID NOT BOWL A BALL!

God spare me, can't the selectors put this poor bastard out of his, and our, misery?

T

Train Without a Station

He was specifically rested from bowling for that match. He will bowl this match.

We get it. You don't like him. It's a fucking tour match.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah if the selectors think Marsh can convert that into the test arena surely he'd be now favoured to slot in at 6 unless he has a shocker with the ball.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Essex at 1/287. Not a great sign. I suspect for the first test pitch won't be anywhere near as bat friendly. Clarke's fail in the first dig could be a concern.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Marsh
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Harris (12th)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd be shocked if the pitches aren't flat wickets that offer very little for the quicks. The key will be the effective use of the new duke and the ability to exploit reverse swing.

England have worse spin options than we do. Although their pace bowling stocks are probably considered a strength, they will be far more interested in nullifying our pace attack.

I like that team No4918, I assume you mean Mitch at 6 in which case that's the team I'd also pick.

I have forgotten, who is our back up keeper this tour?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Essex at 1/287. Not a great sign. I suspect for the first test pitch won't be anywhere near as bat friendly. Clarke's fail in the first dig could be a concern.

He got a first baller. Not too worrying, that happens. Rather that then a scratchy 16.

Did OK in the first game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
James Faulkner charged with drink driving in Manchester.

Captain Clarke as good as rules Ryan Harris out because of ongoing knee problems.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BREAKING: Ryan Harris retires from all forms of cricket.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/33394635

Ashes 2015: Ryan Harris retires and will miss series
Australia fast bowler Ryan Harris has announced his retirement from the sport because of a knee injury.
Harris will therefore miss the Ashes series and is replaced in the Australia squad by Pat Cummins.
The 35-year-old missed Australia's final warm-up game at Essex before the first Test against England, which starts in Cardiff on 8 July.
Harris, who had surgery on his right knee last year, has taken 57 wickets at an average of 20.63 in 12 Ashes Tests.

Gah! Fuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.