• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
You want a growth area. Then put in in the Macarthur area. I live in Camden council area with a population of around 80,000. Over the next 15 years that figure is expected to triple. There are new suburbs and towns going up all over. It would be perfect. It's also an area that is underserved with only two clubs for the 230,000 people living here at present. I should also highlight that the Campbelltown area is expected to add another 30-50,000 people in the same timeframe.

I like that idea too.

But no matter what, we are way behind soccer, league and AFL in all the populated areas of Sydney.

At least balmain would be competitive, that wishful thinking of a parra/penrith merge just doesn't seem to want to happen.

Wasn't there chat of Parra moving up into the hills district to play??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
If memory serves me correct, the Emus actually beat the Wicks in 1st grade at Coogee in 2011 or 2012.

Yep. Unfortunately I played in that loss (off the bench). Not good. But penrith were on fire, full credit to them, gave 110%, dug deep.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Parramatta move to the Hills has been discussed a page or two back. Not gonna happen.

Talk of Parramatta merging with Penrith isn't wishful thinking. It is a complete ignorance of geographical realities so often found in folk from the East and lower North Shore. It would achieve the same thing as cutting Penrith.

For those advocating the merger/takeover of Emus by the Mighty 2 Blues, here are some more distances from Google Maps to consider:
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to No 1 Oval Sydney Uni is 21.3 km
Manly Oval to Coogee Oval is 22.1 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Woollahra Oval is 30.0 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Forshaw Rugby Park is 30.6 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Coogee Oval is 32.0 km
TG Millner Sportsground to Forshaw Rugby Park is 32.3 km
Rat Park to No 1 Oval Sydney Uni is 32.7 km
Rat Park to Concord Oval is 34.6 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Manly Oval is 37.7 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Nepean Rugby Park is 37.9 km
Manly Oval to Forshaw Rugby Park is 38.2 km
Rat Park to Coogee Oval is 38.6 km
Nepean Rugby Park to TG Millner Sportsground is 48.1 km
Rat Park to Merrylands RSL Rugby Park is 48.9 km

Marlins and 2 Blues Merger anyone? It is closer than Emus and 2 Blues.

Hobbits and Woodies are 5 km closer than Emus and 2 Blues.

Merge the Hobbits and Marlins. It is only 300 metres longer.

Sydney's West does not begin at the ANZAC Bridge.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
^^^ Pretty sure it was two (Wainwright and A.N Other). Maybe four max.

Finau Makamaka who went from the Wicks to Balmain a few years ago and I'm fairly sure was a regular in 1st grade at Balmain, has returned to the Wicks and is playing 3rds and 4ths. Which adds to my concern that Balmain wouldn't be any more competitive than the Emus.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep. Unfortunately I played in that loss (off the bench). Not good. But penrith were on fire, full credit to them, gave 110%, dug deep.

And resulted in a few Penrith players moving to Randwick eg Toa Asa and the other front rower who moved to France.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You want a growth area. Then put in in the Macarthur area. I live in Camden council area with a population of around 80,000. Over the next 15 years that figure is expected to triple. There are new suburbs and towns going up all over. It would be perfect. It's also an area that is underserved with only two clubs for the 230,000 people living here at present. I should also highlight that the Campbelltown area is expected to add another 30-50,000 people in the same timeframe.

I've suggested that before and it was pointed our to me that Cambelltown have moved back to Illawarra because they couldn't compete at Kentwell Cup level. I still think that one of the NRC teams should have been based at Cambelltown Stadium.

Back to SS - we need to learn the lessons from the past. Drummoyne didn't work because it didn't have the player or population base to succeed long term. Penrith didn't work because it was largely left to a core of volunteers who were simply overwhelmed by the task of moving from subbies to the top level.

Any new club needs to be in a growth area and for it to be funded and developed by NSWRU (for a few years until there is some structure in place)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Parramatta move to the Hills has been discussed a page or two back. Not gonna happen.

Talk of Parramatta merging with Penrith isn't wishful thinking. It is a complete ignorance of geographical realities so often found in folk from the East and lower North Shore. It would achieve the same thing as cutting Penrith.

For those advocating the merger/takeover of Emus by the Mighty 2 Blues, here are some more distances from Google Maps to consider:
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to No 1 Oval Sydney Uni is 21.3 km
Manly Oval to Coogee Oval is 22.1 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Woollahra Oval is 30.0 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Forshaw Rugby Park is 30.6 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Coogee Oval is 32.0 km
TG Millner Sportsground to Forshaw Rugby Park is 32.3 km
Rat Park to No 1 Oval Sydney Uni is 32.7 km
Rat Park to Concord Oval is 34.6 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Manly Oval is 37.7 km
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park to Nepean Rugby Park is 37.9 km
Manly Oval to Forshaw Rugby Park is 38.2 km
Rat Park to Coogee Oval is 38.6 km
Nepean Rugby Park to TG Millner Sportsground is 48.1 km
Rat Park to Merrylands RSL Rugby Park is 48.9 km

Marlins and 2 Blues Merger anyone? It is closer than Emus and 2 Blues.

Hobbits and Woodies are 5 km closer than Emus and 2 Blues.

Merge the Hobbits and Marlins. It is only 300 metres longer.

Sydney's West does not begin at the ANZAC Bridge.

Has anyone seriously suggested Penrith and Parramatta merge though?

And I agree with what you have said in this post.:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Finau Makamaka who went from the Wicks to Balmain a few years ago and I'm fairly sure was a regular in 1st grade at Balmain, has returned to the Wicks and is playing 3rds and 4ths. Which adds to my concern that Balmain wouldn't be any more competitive than the Emus.

It would be worse than the Emus and would no doubt have a negative impact on West Harbour as well.

If NSWRU are seriously considering Balmain they are hopelessly out of touch with reality.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has anyone seriously suggested Penrith and Parramatta merge though?

And I agree with what you have said in this post.:)

You said that the first time I posted the kilometres, and yes @Blindsider said "that wishful thinking of a parra/penrith merge just doesn't seem to want to happen. "

AFAIK no one in officaldom has done so, thus far. That must be a good sign, although going on past history, the goof Burgers at HQ NSW RU and ARU don't appear to have always exercised sound judgement.

edit. That should have read "good burghers at HQ" but the typo from autocorrect and predictive text resulting in "goof burgers at HQ" seems weirdly appropriate. :)

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Rugby doesn't need a different or new club in SS.
Why would that work any better than the current Penrith club?
Penrith is a perfectly logical & desireable area to have a club & develop Rugby.
It's not working currently,so fix it.
That obviously means don't simply expect the local volunteers to fix the problem because, not surprisingly,it's beyond them.
As everybody here knows it requires input from the NSWRU & ARU, etc. to get involved ,support the Club,& develop Rugby in the area.
That might sound trite & obvious,but it's the answer.
If members of those august bodies continue to neglect this situation then it behoves the rest of us, who genuinely want Penrith to succeed,to replace them & get on with it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You said that the first time I posted the kilometres, and yes @Blindsider said "that wishful thinking of a parra/penrith merge just doesn't seem to want to happen. "

AFAIK no one in officaldom has done so, thus far. That must be a good sign, although going on past history, the goof Burgers at HQ NSW RU and ARU don't appear to have always exercised sound judgement.
Although I'm not sure that "wishful thinking" on an internet site equates to "seriously suggested";)

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)

He had played a bit of first grade at the Wicks. Solid 2nd grader, kept up in 1s without being dominant.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rugby doesn't need a different or new club in SS.
Why would that work any better than the current Penrith club?
Penrith is a perfectly logical & desireable area to have a club & develop Rugby.
It's not working currently,so fix it.
That obviously means don't simply expect the local volunteers to fix the problem because, not surprisingly,it's beyond them.
As everybody here knows it requires input from the NSWRU & ARU, etc. to get involved ,support the Club,& develop Rugby in the area.
That might sound trite & obvious,but it's the answer.
If members of those august bodies continue to neglect this situation then it behoves the rest of us, who genuinely want Penrith to succeed,to replace them & get on with it.

I agree with much of what you say here. I feel very sorry for the committed volunteers at the Penrith club who are no doubt doing their best. I think that the club is going to have enormous difficulties in attracting players after what has happened in the past couple of years. I suspect that the club is in real danger of folding and returning to Kentwell Cup and thus becoming competitive and viable in the eyes of the local community might be the only way of saving it as an entity.

It seems to me that rugby officialdom gave them an impossible task when they put them up and then gave them nowhere near enough support. The idea of putting the top ranking club in Kentwell Cup up into the SS and expecting them to make a go of it was naive in the extreme. And IIRC they weren't even the top ranking club in KC, they were up there but were promoted for the obvious geographical reasons.

I think having reached the point where we are now that the best solution is to start again from scratch with a club owned and run by the NSWRU until it can stand on its own.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Which players are we expecting back in the Shute Shield?

Already seen Gillespie and Neville make it back for some reason.

Benn Robinson for the Woods?
Betham, Ryan and Latu, McCutcheon, Tilse for Uni?
Cararro, Hoiles, Potgieter for the Wicks?
Chapman, McKibbin for Easts?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Which players are we expecting back in the Shute Shield?

Already seen Gillespie and Neville make it back for some reason.

Benn Robinson for the Woods?
Betham, Ryan and Latu, McCutcheon, Tilse for Uni?
Cararro, Hoiles, Potgieter for the Wicks?
Chapman, McKibbin for Easts?

Hoiles is apparently on the bench tomorrow

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why?
It has zero chance of succeeding without a huge commitment from ARU/NSWRU.
If they are prepared to commit resources,why wouldn't they just provide that commitment to the Emu's now?

Status
Not open for further replies.