• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
you are right
and what do we learn from watching accomplished goal kickers kick penalties from in front
stop goal kicks being taken from within 20 by anyone with a number over 3 its not fair.

I can't imagine how any sane individual could even remotely compare the skilful and artistic work of the engine room practising the dark arts with the prancing pirouettes, baton twirling, ball kicking shenanigans of the hairdressers .

Ruggers69

Frank Row (1)
Looking forward to the mouthwatering game of NSW 1 & QLD 1, thought I 'd weigh in on the debate. I think our NSW boys will have too much fire power in both the forwards & backs. I think the NSW scrum will be too dominant, which will give NSW front foot ball for their backs, Goddard & McGregor will control proceedings. Players to watch for NSW tomorrow, 7,8,9,10,15. If QLD 1 fires and there good defence continues we will have a cracker. They have a very good 7 who will be on the ball all day, Number 8 Hard working, 12 been running well & 15 given the ball is dangerous. Also their number 22 when he comes on as an impact seems to straighten their attack & gives space to their outside backs. Do QLD have the ability of an upset tomorrow? NSW by 15.

Rebels rising

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi all, I haven't been able to get down to riverview but just a question as a CAS fan. How has harry mclennnen been playing (NSW 2s number 8), he dominates CAS just wondering if he's a shot at Aus schoolboys? Thanks

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
appropriate for village or school 1stXV yes
this national comp is meant to be a display development opportunity for adept players

Perhaps, but the 1.5 metre push is an IRB/WR (World Rugby) law variation applicable to under 19 rugby worldwide. Any match, competition or tournament that is restricted to players under the age of 19 years must adhere to these laws - or render their insurance cover void.

http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/22/2015 Laws/WR (World Rugby) U19 Laws 2105.pdf

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi all, I haven't been able to get down to riverview but just a question as a CAS fan. How has harry mclennnen been playing (NSW 2s number 8), he dominates CAS just wondering if he's a shot at Aus schoolboys? Thanks

Unlikely. He was dominated by Q1's number 8 and I believe the N1 number 8 is very talented as well. Last year they only picked 2 eights so yeah unlikely I think.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is true about the Under 19 law variation, however there are plenty of players that would be classified as being Under 19s that are playing rugby under Senior Rugby Laws

In Sydney, Colts 3rds competition is played under the Under 19 Law variations, while Colts 2's and 1's are considered to be "senior" rugby.

In 2014, last years Australian Schoolboys team Hooker Ed Craig was playing regularly for Eastwood Colts First Grade team under "Senior" Laws, as were many other NSW State and Combined States players from last year. There are certain assessments that need to be made on players to determine if they are physically capable of playing Senior rugby safely.

More stringent criteria, involving an ARU sign off applies to under age front rowers in senior rugby. Insurance cover is not voided provided the required assessments have been completed satisfactorily.

If they are not already playing Colts 2 or above (Senior Rules) for their club team, most of the NSW based forwards at the National Championships already receive advanced level skill and S&C training through their school programme and/or the Koala Club (or the current in vogue name for the former NTS/NGS), and they would comfortably satisfy the ARU "underage" Senior Rugby criteria if they applied for it.
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/Administration/SeniorRugbyPolicy.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unlikely. He was dominated by Q1's number 8 and I believe the N1 number 8 is very talented as well. Last year they only picked 2 eights so yeah unlikely I think.

Further he did not start in the No 8 position in the NSW II key game against QI. The Coaches selected 6, 7, and 20 as their loose forwards to start in that match.

McLennan did not miss the start through injury because in the second half, he came on from the bench for NSW II. That indicates where he is ranked in the grand scheme of things by his team coaches. In saying that, the Coaches do not always "get it right" with their team selections, substitutions, and game plans but they are in a good position to make a judgement on a players ability to execute their game plan.

@Derick Slater, are you sure that your assessment of being dominated is made based on the short time that McLennan was on the field up against Hewat, and not on the entire N2 game.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
<snip>
@Derick Slater, are you sure that your assessment of being dominated is made based on the short time that McLennan was on the field up against Hewat, and not on the entire N2 game.
I meant throughout the whole game, not just against Mcclennan.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Do you think Meni does enough to put him in front of Gittoes?

They both have a different style of game admittedly, but as a 6 you have to get in to the mire. At least occasionally

i hear Meni and 15 for Qld 1 are playing the house down. A good game today will see them in green and gold

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ASRU squads to be announced later today. By all means debate the relative merits of the selections, but do so objectively.

Use the thread that is linked below if you want to put your tin foil hats on and unravel the details behind the secret masonic deals done by the biased and blind selectors who had already selected their teams before tournament based on an agreed quota, and performance in the Under 16's and in the various Koala Club academies around the place.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...-bias-gold-squads-unfairness-etc.8261/page-35

Status
Not open for further replies.