• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

It would also be nice if a Colts competition could be developed to support the NRC - particularly in the larger centers. Obviously too much cost to run in tandem with the NRC, but I'm not aware of a lot of Rep opportunities aside from the State U20s program for Colts. These are the players you want to have multiple weeks of rep footy under their belt to progress to the next level.

I think that there could be Colts programmes run by the NSW (4 or 5), Brisbane (2), and ACT franchises. This would feed into the State U20 competitions for National U20's.

Games would be for local derbies in Sydney or when the Vikings play the Sydney Franchises (travel is bus or private car based and the trip is 3 hours or less with no need for overnight accommodation). Possibly arrange for 1/2 way games for the Brisbane v Sydney clashes (Coffs Harbour or Armidale), maybe games at Wagga Wagga or Albury for ACT & Sydney v Rising NRC Colts.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Give free tickets to clubs / superugby franchises to get people to a game and see / trial the product....

Think long term.....need to build awareness and trial of the product....

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think that there could be Colts programmes run by the NSW (4 or 5), Brisbane (2), and ACT franchises. This would feed into the State U20 competitions for National U20's.

Games would be for local derbies in Sydney or when the Vikings play the Sydney Franchises (travel is bus or private car based and the trip is 3 hours or less with no need for overnight accommodation). Possibly arrange for 1/2 way games for the Brisbane v Sydney clashes (Coffs Harbour or Armidale), maybe games at Wagga Wagga or Albury for ACT & Sydney v Rising NRC Colts.

Well, the JGC sort of provides a solid format in terms of centres. Sydney Nirth, South, West and N-West. Brisbane 1 and 2, ACT and Melbourne. If the money could be found then Perth.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Increased NRC marketing at Shute Shield and Premier Grade rugby matches, including advertising on the Shute Shield Grand Final broadcast on 7 Mate.

For what purpose, anyone that follows the Shute Shield knows about the NRC. It's those they don't they have no idea about it.

T

TOCC

For what purpose, anyone that follows the Shute Shield knows about the NRC. It's those they don't they have no idea about it.

Why advertise the Wallabies upcoming tests during the later parts of the Super Rugby season or why advertise the State of Origin during NRL broadcasts?

Its a basic marketing strategy of segmentation and undifferentiated/concentrated targeting. Psychographic and demographic concentrated targeting is suitable when there are limited resources and a niche market.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone with high hopes for the NRC to take the Australian sporting scene by storm should take a look at the latest Cricket Australia 2015/16 schedule and the format of the domestic one day series.

You could arguably equate the international cricket season to the Wallaby season (from a level of play at least) and then the Big Bash to Super Rugby.

That makes the Shield and the "Matador BBQ One Day Cup" our NRC. Obviously it has had more history, and numerous sponsors and has had some fairly high highs. But look at it now.

This year it will be played over a 20 day period only in Sydney. Now I think this structure started a couple of seasons ok and last year was played largely in Brisbane (or perhaps split with Sydney and/or Vic). But no games in Perth, Adelaide or Tassie.

No idea what the broadcast will be, but games are crammed in. 3 games on the first day, and then a lot of double ups from there on.

It shows that the logistics and costs behind these national events, in a country the size of Australia with such limited resources, is significantly limiting. Don't go expecting any dramatic expansion in teams or under 20s for the foreseeable future (and I hope the ARU feel the same).

T

TOCC

Maybe as a forum/website we could come up with a dossier on how the ARU should improve the NRC, i think suggestions need to be realistic(i.e. spending cash which doesn't exist isn't realistic), maybe keep it to 5 or 6 key points to maximise the effect and likelihood it is noticed. ..

Im going to set out that since this is my idea ;) we exclude the issue of the point scoring and law variations because its an even split of pros and cons and a contentious issue which has been done to death on this forum.

So heres some of my ideas, in no particular orders..

-Social Media Consolidation
Greater focus on social media, firstly there needs to be a centralised NRC Facebook page/Twitter account which 'shares' all videos, fixtures, photos, news reports which are released by the relevant NRC teams.. There also need to be an improved presence by the Wallabies and Waratahs across the social media platforms. I'd even suggest that the Rebels cut away having an individual page for the Rising and bring it back under the Rebels banner to maximise the reach. Reds did it the best out of the NRC organisations, but there is room to improve.​
Marketing
Flowing on from the 'social media consolidation' point, marketing through the social media channels needs to increase 10fold especially at the ARU and Super Rugby social media level. Cross promotion at the end of the Super Rugby season leading into the NRC needs to improve to improve the awareness of the competition:​
-Foxsports advertising the NRC during the later rounds of Super Rugby​
-Promoting the NRC clubs at the local grade competitions throughout the season club season, have a stall, players, information etc.​
-Promoting the game at the Super Rugby games during halftime, include advertisements in the match day programs.​
-Where possible, have NRC matches as curtain raisers for Wallabies Test to improve the chance of exposure to the casual observer​

- Derby Day's(Match of the Round):
These would be identified as the 'match of the round' and should be the game to be broadcast for that week.
- Sydney Derby Day- 4 Sydney teams play each other in a double header​
- QLD Double Header - Brisbane City and QLD Country play a double header against two other teams out of Ballymore​
- QLD Derby - Brisbane City vs QLD Country​
- GF Re-Match(Round 1), Brisbane City vs Perth Spirit​
- Themed Rounds
In line with Omar's comments, some themed rounds should be introduced..
- Womens Round​
- Club Rugby Round(players wear there club socks)​
- Heritage Round(these are new teams but the have links to historical ones)​
- Team Colours
Deconfliction between the teams over the team colours needs to be done, each team should have a distinct and unique colour/colours to represent their team. Take note of the vibrant colours the BBL used which allows fans to easily identify the teams.​

I still think the derby round concept has merit, especially the Sydney derby day where all 4 Sydney teams play at the same ground with both matches televised... Also, endorsing the 'QLD Derby' name and marketing it as such would be a nice marketing ploy.

The GF re-match will be a good way to kick off the comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Australian XV heartland 2 game series against NZ is great idea and concept to help promote the NRC (best NRC non aligned Super Rugby players selected)

Playing it in NZ also makes sense as will get more TV interest and crowds. Great initiative and don't think there is one magic silver bullet here to grow NRC but lots of initiatives....heading in right direction...more could be done but as long as trying new things it will get there...but will take time

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wrote last year in a pre-season blog that the NRC would be heaps better in five year's time than it would be in 2014.

We can already see that players have been discarded from some 2014 teams and some coaches also. Whilst those things don't automatically indicate improvement it does signal that some adjustments have been made.

There have been tweaks to the laws also.

I think we have seen enough to say that in 2019, its sixth year, we will have a mature tool to work with.

Amongst other things, we should have seen enough of the variations in point-scoring and other NRC law variations to strike a balance between not only entertaining the public, but also preparing the players for playing in the real world of the standard laws.

And we have to be able to assess them in the law environment closer to what they will be playing under in Super Rugby.

I realise this is a minority opinion but it is not the first windmill I have tried to attack.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thinking about this - we need a NRC team of the week and have this published (e.g. have on each NRC franchise website as well as all usual rugby websites - those with connections with the administration should float this as would help create interest

Would not be hard to create and not cost much to do to help create interest as doesn't have to be perfect

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thinking about this - we need a NRC team of the week and have this published (e.g. have on each NRC franchise website as well as all usual rugby websites - those with connections with the administration should float this as would help create interest

Would not be hard to create and not cost much to do to help create interest as doesn't have to be perfect

Could then also by the way float NRC team of the quick as basis for discussion for who are standout / form players in NRC on rugby HQ on Foxtel etc....

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well, put your thoughts here and I can throw together a blog post and we can promote it through the sites.

15 Junior Laolifi (Brisbane)
14 Harry Jones (Sydney)
13 Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane)
12 Tom Hill (Rays)
11 Alex Gibbon (Brisbane)
10 Jono Lance (NSW Country)
9 Ben Meehan (Rising)
8 Angus Cottrell (Spirit)
7 Liam Gill (Brisbane)
6 Dave Dennis (Stars)
5 Ned Hanigan (NSW Country)
4 Steve Cummins (Rising)