• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gunston Nautical
womanthinking.gif

Gunston Nautical
womanthinking.gif
Gunston Nautical
worms2.gif

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I love this : The players' job is to play good rugby - yeah, and its mine to watch..on TV as I am too busy to put myself out to got to games that pay the wage of under performing Wallaby players.
Right, so you're too busy to turn up, even on a weekend.

But not too busy to complain.

players that we employ and pay more than most in society will ever earn are unavailable...
These things are scheduled in the game week leading up to a match or when there's a training camp, as in Qld before the Bok test.

The costs of assembling the team, accomodation, etc., have already been met.

In the mean time if we all just want to to a little thread hopping it seems we cant do enough. The dollars are dwindling, we are struggling with participation numbers, fee's are out of control, the ratings are declining...how much did the ARU lose last FY?

I don't get the benefit of playing in or even winning a WC (if we are that lucky) if no one is watching and the kiddies all off at NRL or AFL training?

Its a once in a four year sacrifice. FFS we are talking about working long weeks for four months to live your dream. Lets compare this to the real word, say I want to join the army - well its 80 days solid basic training away from home for what 60k if your lucky?

All good though, its not like putting yourself out for fans or supporters will make any difference right? Just like me not opening up my business on weekends so I spend time with family wont hurt my business. Its not like we pay their wage right?

I fear the day that we discover that the rusted-on were just ballast on the sinking ship.
A litany of woe and little to do with a weekend fan day. It's a rolled up plea about other things.

If they changed this one event to the Saturday before and then brought the players in especially for it, would it make you happy - or would you still be complaining? Too busy to attend anyway?

The Bledisloe Festival is not the only window for fans or supporters, with players at club matches, signings after Supe games and tests. Even an occasional trip to country areas.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Well here is the full footage. There is a completely sensible explanation. He is demonstrating his divine ability to fly. Clearly. Seens he is a regular in many shows

Thinking of using this tactic in meetings when I don't like a question.

Also I think Dismal may have done the subtitles

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure if this is the right thread, but something that has been discussed a lot here has been the engagement with the grass roots and spreading the gospel of our great game. I'm happy to report that the Force have been doing just that at my kids (state) primary school. Three guys from the Force/RugbyWA junior development staff have been coming to the school to teach the game to boys and girls for about the last six weeks. They mostly play touch but all the basics are covered. My son is an Aussie Rules nut and plays club footy on the weekend, but he's developed a real liking for rugby too (especially after watching Izzy a fair bit).

This is going to be great for him, because he goes to an all boys rugby playing school next year for year 7 and onwards and will be able to hopefully play the game more. Good on the Force for planting the seed in a few kids heads who might not have been introduced to the game until it was too late.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure if this is the right thread, but something that has been discussed a lot here has been the engagement with the grass roots and spreading the gospel of our great game. I'm happy to report that the Force have been doing just that at my kids (state) primary school. Three guys from the Force/RugbyWA junior development staff have been coming to the school to teach the game to boys and girls for about the last six weeks. They mostly play touch but all the basics are covered. My son is an Aussie Rules nut and plays club footy on the weekend, but he's developed a real liking for rugby too (especially after watching Izzy a fair bit).

This is going to be great for him, because he goes to an all boys rugby playing school next year for year 7 and onwards and will be able to hopefully play the game more. Good on the Force for planting the seed in a few kids heads who might not have been introduced to the game until it was too late.
That's awesome, would love to see more of that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well here is the full footage. There is a completely sensible explanation. He is demonstrating his divine ability to fly. Clearly. Seens he is a regular in many shows

Thinking of using this tactic in meetings when I don't like a question.

Also I think Dismal may have done the subtitles

That's what happens when you volunteer for the Gunston Neurosurgery pilot study.

T

Train Without a Station

The Australian Rugby Union should take the lead from New Zealand Rugby and schedule a Test against Manu Samoa in Apia as soon as possible. Even in a Rugby World Cup year, the Manu Samoa-All Blacks Test on Wednesday will remain one of the highlights of the season. It reminded all of the true international flavor of rugby, providing colour, vibrancy and intensity to an often-sterile environment. Australia once upon a time gladly visited the Pacific Islands, but now their schedule is the same old, same old, a repetition of the same airport terminals in New Zealand, South Africa and Europe. The calendar needs variety to reinvigorate it and to provide the opportunity of rewarding those countries, such as the Pacific Islands, upon which Australia and New Zealand have relied so heavily for their talent. Come on ARU; think outside the square, for a change, and work on organising an Apia Test match.

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/268493.html#9PfcRmh18YPtVmVw.99

This chat thrown around by the media is doing my head in. They want to put this idea out in the public that it's a failing by the ARU for not playing tests here. The ARU is losing money every year and the Wallabies already play more test matches than any other major nation so they cannot add more to the schedule.

I fail to see how the same scribes who lament the ARU's lack of income can think it's a good decision to give up a home test that will bring in around 30,000 people or an away test that can net up to $1M to play in front of 8,000 people in Apia. It's just not viable in the current financial state. It would be great to do yes. People want to complain about only looking for profit but ignore that when you are in the red you have to in order to stay afloat.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also why Samoa? Surely you'd go to Tonga and Fiji before going to Samoa again.

You're right, the ABs are the only team that can afford to go.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Also why Samoa? Surely you'd go to Tonga and Fiji before going to Samoa again.

You're right, the ABs are the only team that can afford to go.

We owe Fijian rugby a lot. As I have posted elsewhere, the game was on its knees here in the fifties, and it was rescued by two phenomenally successful Fijian tours.

That said, the political situation in Fiji has been a big problem which has impacted heavily on any sporting cooperation.

Tonga is an economic and political basket case. The export of rugby and other potential sporting professionals will continue apace, as will the export of at least one member of every family. Except for a handful of the relatively rich, any family that does not have a member overseas to send money home is living in abject poverty.

T

Train Without a Station

Wamberal, we may owe Fiji a lot. Perhaps we can look at repaying them when we have money so we can afford to repay them.

Repaying them whilst not making money would be the height of stupidity.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The other thing is that the media is suggesting the Wallabies should give up one of their home tests in June 2017 to play in the Pacific but NZ didn't give a proper allotted home test to play in Apia. They squeezed in a Tuesday evening game a few days after the Super Rugby Final with a makeshift side. It's pretty ridiculous how they are going on about it. Also I hope the players who are calling for a Test in the Pacific are willing to sacrifice their match fees and pay for their flights and accommodation.

T

Train Without a Station

The Fijians did not pay us money. Who said anything about money?

The players who we lose to Europe. The grassroots teams complaining about fees.

Playing a test there is as good as giving them money from our end, because we lose money doing it. Would we even cover the $230,000 in match payments plus logistics from a match there?

Not only would we lose profit, it would probably cost us money.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would IRB (World Rugby) stump up for some form of subsidy for tours of the PI countries?

There are enough players of PI heritage running around in Professional Rugby in Europe, Japan, Sri Lanka (not mentioning Australia and NZ) providing entertainment for millions of spectators and Pay TV viewers.

It is in IRB interests to keep that incubator of talent ticking over, especially when the Dark Code is throwing money at the Islands faster than a sailor on shore leave in Kings Cross after a 6 month deployment to the Gulf blows their accumulated operational allowances.