• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Easts put on a ccold but sunny day with a good crowd as it hosted the Wicks in the TV game.
Fourths ( i am told) were the better team but lacked the urgency of Easts and their kicker was off the mark. Though they scored two tries to one they lost 16-12 in a tight affair.
Thirds had the rub of the green in the first half and led 20-3 against an Easts side that were too enthusiastic and offside. Easts settled in the second half and grew in confidence as the game went on and they pegged back the lead. Easts would have deservedly won this game if their kicker had been accurate. Wicks need to be a bit responsible when they have a good lead. 25-25
Wicks seconds ran out without their usual mojo and this showed with Easts getting off to a good lead in the first half. Wicks lost both Harris and the beetle and things were looking bleak. The change in personnel seemed to lift the side in the second half and a good tussel was on with Wicks running out the winners - just- 22-17
First grade was always going to be a dangerous match for the wicks and nothing was certain until the final whistle. Wicks would get ahead and Easts pull them back. For Wicks , Horwitz had a very good game and found space and the forwards aimed up against a committed pack. Easts winger was very quick and looked dangerous when Easts got width. Kellaway diffused a number of his runs with some excellant positional play one on one which contributed to the 32-24 win.

A most enjoyable day

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Dash Kuate had his best game for the club IMO and there were also good contributions from Mitch Short, Henry Hutchison, Jack Pennington, Mark Baldwin, Jock Armstrong and Tevita Vea, apart from Kellaway who showed his class with every involvement. I suspect he'll be pressing for a run on spot with the Waratahs next year so I doubt the Wicks will see much of him after this year. Best performance by David Horwitz for a few weeks also. Good to see Nick Kellaway get a few minutes at the end of the game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A good game to watch on SevenTwo. Some really good tries.

I have never had high expectations of Andrew Kellaway because of his size, lack thereof. However, he did some very classy things yesterday. If he is strong enough, which is yet to be seen at the elite level, he will do okay.

A nice plug at the end by Adsm Freier encouraging Hoilsey to turn out, I hope he does!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
A very ordinary display against Souths today. Randwick gifted the Rebels the ball 6 times in their own 22 within the first 20 minutes which resulted in 3 tries within the ensuing phase.
Some in the forwards just didn't put in. There were times when no one would take the hit up. Perhaps some of the rep players feel they don't have to contribute at club level.
If second grade wasn't beset with injuries I would be promoting a few of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A fine day put on by Souths as they hosted the whole Wicks playing group.
Fourths played on the back field and as usual did not get into the game until halftime. Souths ran at everything and took a good lead early 17- 0 before wicks fought back. - Souths too good 22-7
Thirds played on the main field and did not have their normal players. The players from 4ths did very well stepping up and the Wicks found a tiring souths to win 52-21.
Seconds had hardly started when the Wicks big young second rower was taken off by ambulance with suspected neck injuries. Thankfully he was given an all clear at the hospital. The ground announcer let the crowd know which was a nice touch. After a 25 minute delay the game got under way and wicks took an early lead with two tries. Souths fought back with two of their own and at 12-12 the grind was on. Wicks were fortunate to win this game at 22-15 with a second grade side decimated by injury and full of lower graders who rose for the occasion.
First grade lost 37-15. They were lack lustre in the first half and with the exception of Baldwin there seemed to be no urgency. It looked like they were tired and they started the game making handling errors normally reserved for the final fatiguing minutes of a game. In one view, they were lucky not to have been beaten by more as you could have regularly covered the teams spacing with a dishrag and any wide ball by souths would have scored.
They will need to lift substantially next week

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Jed Holloway was outstanding for the Rebels.
He scored 2 tries and set another up in the first 20 minutes and the game was virually all over.
Every time I see him play I can't help wondering why he doesn't have a permanent run on position at S15 level.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree Holloway is a good player I think a perception may be that he is very athletic but doesn't seem to be overly physical in contact (which is hugely important in the game Chieka has played). Saying that I hope the Tahs can work on that as he could be something special if he can master that.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
I also see Holloway as a good club player but not able to step up a level.
Played colts at the wicks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Jed came to Sydney for Senior College at Waverley from Yamba IIRC.

He may have played some junior rep footy for a Wicks team, but the odds were stacked against him staying "local" as IIRC his father had played for the Hobbits "back in the day", and you know how fiercely loyal some country folk can be.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Jed Holloway enrolled at Waverley college in his final years , via a Randwick "connection" with that school. On leaving school he played a few games with Randwick colts, but he had no connection with Randwick juniors.
I'm not sure about "the fiercely loyal" influence , as his father played with
Wests before he played with the Hobbits..

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Picture perfect ,though a tad cold at Latham for fourths and thirds.
Fourths turned up but could not deny a committed Eastwood side who managed to build pressure and then convert to points. The fourths coach will be scratching his head on some of the poor kick and grubber options taken by his players just when they were setting up pressure. lost 3-29.
Thirds opened up well and held Eastwood for much of the first half. The second half , Eastwood came over the top to take the win 8-24.
Moved down to Coogee and first found parking before watching the seconds run out on a very well kept Coogee Oval. The Wicks players were still conducting introductions with each other on the way to the kick off. This side is quite different to a few weeks ago and the early minutes showed that introductions to each other were not quite completed at kick off. Three mistakes led to three well taken tries by Eastwood in the space of five minutes. At 19-0 it was going to be a tough road for the Wicks but they showed character as they slowly clawed some points back. Eastwood were never going to loose this game but the Wicks coach will take comfort from the fact that the rest of the grind was won by the Wicks 19-17 and the new promoted players held up. lost 36-19
First grade ran out to clouds rolling in from the sea, promising the forecast showers. The Wicks faithful braved the cold for the last home game determined to show support but not expecting a good result, especially after their performance the previous week . WRONG! The great thing about youth is it don't know what it don't know and so the youth threw caution to the winds and their bodies at anything in blue and white.
They out enthused from the get go and never let up until the final whistle. They were quick to any ball on the ground ( could this be because they were much smaller than their opposition) and hunted as a team. Eastwood felt the pressure and as the heavy rain showers came through, they made some handling mistakes which had the Wicks getting more courageous by the minute and defending as if possessed. At 20 -13 , this was a very good win for the team.
I don't think Eastwood will be sandbagged again this year.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Very impressed with the baby Wicks yesterday. Noticed John Muggleton standing with the coaches - his presence might have had something to do with an outstanding defensive effort. Was surprised that Eastwood's forwards were unable to dominate given the size advantage they enjoyed. Lets hope that consistency can be added to the passion & heart on show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.