• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Great weekend watching the 14's, nothing in it by the end.
Surprise packet was Orange, who were very good.
Pink unlucky in the final, and selections! We'll done boys on 2nd place.

Time to take a break and relax :)

Chris Green

Frank Nicholson (4)

Some very good rugby played by a lot of teams across all the age groups. Orange 14's were very strong and took a big effort from Pink to beat them for a Finals spot. Pink very unlucky in the Final.
16 Blue very good as well, entertaining rugby and great weather over the weekend.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 290

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
green and pink have the best foward personnel and blue and pink the best backs

Lots of big names / reputation players in the forwards from blue , but , I would only look at a one of their forwards at prop and a second rower ( both play in a multitude of different positions at club ) . From Green I Iwould easily take one of their props , one of their second rowers and their No 8 as automatic City selections . From Pink , two of their Props and their 2 xHooker , definitely their No 7 , and two of their second rowers , one of whom can cover 6/8

So that's 7 from pink , 3 from Green and 2 from Blue ..won't work out that way though ( of course ) The Green Prop who should be first Prop picked doesn't have the "name" .Green second Rower who is either No 1 or No 2 as the best
ball running lock .and equal 1 or 2 as best line out man also probably won't get a look , as again , he doesn't have the " name"

Anyway .Blue backline will kill everybody even if they only get sub 50% ball . Can only see 3 from Pink being in the mix ( maybe 4 ) and 1 from Green if he's lucky ( maybe 2 )

Pity Rangers new outside back only came along the week after trials - he's a killer and equal or best outside back in the competition

Not bad at all GO you got a lot right.

I see your Green prop missed out but the second rower made it – Pinks forwards didn’t get much of a look in but you were pretty spot on in the backs.

I thought the halfback was a deserving choice and the Green 15 was great all day his defence was outstanding at times.

The rest were hard to argue with, although a few flew under my radar but nobody else stood out in those positions for me (I was really there to watch the 12's & 14's).

The wheels on the 11 from Blue were very impressive all day and his long range try scoring certainly blew the final wide open.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks BAG

First of all , what a bloody fantastic weekend - weather , organisation of the event , players participation , 99% of parental behaviour :) hats off all round

Second of all , a qualifier , I did not have a lad playing in the Carnival so I come in peace and without prejudice !

Thirdly , congratulations to all the boys across all age levels who participated and further , to those that achieved selection in City or Country teams

In terms of U13 finality - can't really argue too much with 70% of it which was to be expected , but as always - there are surprises and disappointments.

In being as objective as I possibly can - big ups to the following U13 boys who can consider themselves pretty unlucky ( in order )

Green 1
Pink 7
Pink 5
Pink 1
Pink 10
Blue 15

A few of your Terrace Boys in that mix BAG :)

On a layer down - well done to :

Orange 8
Orange 15
Orange 23
Green 3
Green 20
Pink 2
Green 10
Green 21

A lot of boys in this mix are playing Division 2 and Division 3 Rugby and showed that notwithstanding the need for grading in Club at this age level and the limits every team can carry - they absolutely stood up and proved that they are as good as anyone playing Division 1 Rugby

Well done boys

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And yeah the kid I was talking about initially ( in terms of backline selections and from Green making it if he was lucky ) was Green 15 . And he did what he needed to do on the weekend - as he did last year in Met West selection trials and BJRU but miraculously was overlooked in both , and so , wasn't really on anyone's radar.

He is now.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
In terms of the U13 Pink forwards ....that Saturday afternoon game against Blue was probably a Grand Final of sorts in likely how both teams saw it ( in seeing themselves as the two best teams in the age level )

It was an absolute belt fest and both forward packs just gave it to each other - no holes barred. Special mention to Pink 4 who gets my "Kaiser Sozay - Boogy Man Award" for the U13's in this tournament. Copping a hit from this lad is bound to carry recurring nightmares for those unlucky enough to get hit by him.

Anyway...full credit to both packs but I would have given the edge to Pink notwithstanding the score line . As sort of what has happened with Easts throughout the season - the cover lines let them down and I think that some of the bigger guys fall away a bit in coverage after the initial physical contests.

And so ...this probably worked against some of the Pink forwards . Blue seemed to recover better the next day and be fresher than the Pink boys and had an easier run into the Finals , and , maybe had a bit more mobility in and around the paddock.

But take nothing away from the Green pack - outside of a few scrums where Pink seemed to have them - they were not bested in the line out, or in or on and around the park , including their cover lines , and most significantly , getting the ball over the game line 90% of the time.

Of note , Green had Blue down 3-0 at half time , but unfortunately faded in outside coverage on 3 critical occasions that led to 3 tries to Blue's go to assassin on the wing. Full credit to Blue 10 for being savvy enough to know this, see the lack of defensive coverage , and move the ball beautifully to him on a big cut out to get him going on his first try - which sort of got it moving Blue's way early in the 2nd half .

The score line of 26-3 does not reflect massive superiority at all . Green manned up and gave Blue a tremendous battle - they just lost focus on defensive positioning on the left wing and the cover lines tired a bit at the end of a long and exhausting few days

Benchwarmer

Frank Nicholson (4)
The rush / sliding defense vanished in the second half which provided 10, 12 & 13 the space and time needed - the first half they appeared a little 'cramped' The individual try by the 'assassin on the wing' was fantastic to watch. Great Carnival by all in the U13 age group - congrats to those who were selected for further duties & good character building for those that missed out this time around. In the end I was surprised by the final GC team placings?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Of note , Green had Blue down 3-0 at half time , but unfortunately faded in outside coverage on 3 critical occasions that led to 3 tries to Blue's go to assassin on the wing. Full credit to Blue 10 for being savvy enough to know this, see the lack of defensive coverage , and move the ball beautifully to him on a big cut out to get him going on his first try - which sort of got it moving Blue's way early in the 2nd half .

What club does 'assassin on the wing' play for? He certainly is dynamic.

Green 15 would have to be on everyones radar now he was terrific.

Was a great day for sure - Top rugby played in all age groups with the 14's semis being the highlight of the day for me.

Now for the Season proper to get underway, big weekend at Tennyson to get it started.

Back to the GPS thread for me.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)

I agree with you Red, Pink had a couple of really unlucky lads, a forward and back from them played very well.
In saying that I thought Orange had a couple of forwards who played extremely well also and, should hold their heads high.
As well I has like a flanker from Blue who ran hard all weekend.
But that's how the dice rolled and we move on.
We'll done to all the lads, It was a great weekend.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
In terms of the U13 Pink forwards ..that Saturday afternoon game against Blue was probably a Grand Final of sorts in likely how both teams saw it ( in seeing themselves as the two best teams in the age level )

It was an absolute belt fest and both forward packs just gave it to each other - no holes barred. Special mention to Pink 4 who gets my "Kaiser Sozay - Boogy Man Award" for the U13's in this tournament. Copping a hit from this lad is bound to carry recurring nightmares for those unlucky enough to get hit by him.

Anyway.full credit to both packs but I would have given the edge to Pink notwithstanding the score line . As sort of what has happened with Easts throughout the season - the cover lines let them down and I think that some of the bigger guys fall away a bit in coverage after the initial physical contests.

And so .this probably worked against some of the Pink forwards . Blue seemed to recover better the next day and be fresher than the Pink boys and had an easier run into the Finals , and , maybe had a bit more mobility in and around the paddock.

But take nothing away from the Green pack - outside of a few scrums where Pink seemed to have them - they were not bested in the line out, or in or on and around the park , including their cover lines , and most significantly , getting the ball over the game line 90% of the time.

The score line of 26-3 does not reflect massive superiority at all . Green manned up and gave Blue a tremendous battle - they just lost focus on defensive positioning on the left wing and the cover lines tired a bit at the end of a long and exhausting few days
Agree with your detailed summary GO and well done on your selection predictions. One small correction - the BB v BP slugfest was played on Saturday morning and yes, it probably took its toll on Pink as the subsequent semi final on Sunday morning took its toll on Green who had to back up 2 hours later to play the final. Green also lost a man to a yellow card and their City rep #8 to a leg injury leaving them in a bit of disarray. They held on bravely before Blue took control to deservedly win the carnival. Six selected was a fitting consolation and as you correctly point out, others narrowly missed out but I'm sure are now on the radar.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
In the end I was surprised by the final GC team placings?
6th and 9th position was really disappointing for the GC. But to be honest, it didn't surprise me and I made mention of a number of reasons in an earlier post why this was going to happen.

It was however interesting to note that the u14's (who were also under the same '2-even-teams' policy) were able to do much better than their younger brothers. There are probably a number of reasons for this including but not limited to the fact that the u14's have greater player numbers at club level and by the looks of it; more depth. I'm not involved with the 14's so I can't really compare beyond that, but here's what I do know about the 13's terrible weekend on their home turf:

• 6 top Nerang Bulls players did not participate (Nerang with only one loss to-date in the Brisbane Div 1 comp).
  • A number of other top level players on the GC not available.
  • Far too many players playing out of position.
  • A philosophy by either GCDRU or initiated by some of the coaches (??) that the State Championships was a Development Carnival and the team/s subsequently managed that way.
  • I'm sorry but... poor coaching by some of the coaches, horrible substitution policies and execution.
  • Extremely dispirited player base (with the exception of a few).
  • Separation of club combinations of selected players (something that all other rep sides did not suffer in this age group).
The echoing words that could be heard repeated amongst the GC parents after what was otherwise a beautifully run and showcased carnival; "I'm not paying $660 for this shit again".

I can only suggest that the GCDRU email out a participation survey and honestly reflect on the feedback rather than just forcing their Will onto the masses.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
I hung around to watch the U14 Final and thought it was a pretty tough game.
It looked like the earlier game may have taken some sting out of the Pink boys, they seemed to running out of fuel in the second half, the GC played smarter in the second half by kicking down field and turning the big fellas around a lot.
On a different note when I got home and saw the City squad for 14`s I was surprise to see who wasn't in. Taking nothing from who got in, but I watched Pink and some other 14 games while we were hanging around. How Pink 16 missed out beats me, he was great, their lock and one center played well also.
Orange lose 1 game and dominanted all but Pink in what was a tough, close game, they were hard hitting and mobile forwards, yet not looked at, couple of them are very unlucky too.
Only saw a little of blue, a good flanker and maybe a back put their hand up, and Green I only saw play Orange and they got totally dominated across the park in that one.
From what I see in the City squad and watched over the weekend, I think they have gone for forwards who are, ball runners in hope they can bust the Country boys open, it may come back to bite them tho, as they have only one or two work horses who will clean ruck after ruck and do the dirty work.
Country have pick some big lads too, but they are offset a little better with workers, ball winners, who get to the break down quick, and I think this is where Country will win, on the back of retaining more possession and giving their very strong halves and backs more opportunities.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
I hung around to watch the U14 Final and thought it was a pretty tough game.
It looked like the earlier game may have taken some sting out of the Pink boys, they seemed to running out of fuel in the second half, the GC played smarter in the second half by kicking down field and turning the big fellas around a lot.
On a different note when I got home and saw the City squad for 14`s I was surprise to see who wasn't in. Taking nothing from who got in, but I watched Pink and some other 14 games while we were hanging around. How Pink 16 missed out beats me, he was great, their lock and one center played well also.
Orange lose 1 game and dominanted all but Pink in what was a tough, close game, they were hard hitting and mobile forwards, yet not looked at, couple of them are very unlucky too.
Only saw a little of blue, a good flanker and maybe a back put their hand up, and Green I only saw play Orange and they got totally dominated across the park in that one.
From what I see in the City squad and watched over the weekend, I think they have gone for forwards who are, ball runners in hope they can bust the Country boys open, it may come back to bite them tho, as they have only one or two work horses who will clean ruck after ruck and do the dirty work.
Country have pick some big lads too, but they are offset a little better with workers, ball winners, who get to the break down quick, and I think this is where Country will win, on the back of retaining more possession and giving their very strong halves and backs more opportunities.

I hear what your saying Red.

I heard some parents/coaches rip into others to boost their own kids and or players to fill their own agenda before and at the tournament.
Poor form people poor form!

Good on the boys playing City V Country, have fun enjoy.
But maybe some of their parents/coaches could show some humility and not brag, put down others, not selected.
You know you talk and word gets around, everyone has friends who tell, I know who you are now.

Just like to say to the young men that missing squad selection, it has nothing to do with you, your ability or skill.
Often it's one mans opinion and if you fit his mindset, not every coach has the same views on players and how the game is played.

Keep standing tall, playing hard and be that great kid the people around you love, and that goes for all of you out there. :)

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very nice Sunny, I'm sure many boys were disappointed after a great weekend.
People we must remember they are still boys and this, as they say is, no world cup.
Your on the money with some coaches, and I will say myself, they don't always see eye to eye. Selection can be hard and you can tend to want to play a certain way, hence you look for specific type of player, been there, seen it all.
Parents, wow you get some hard core, my boys is this my boy is that in your ear. Competitive is a nice way to put it, but yer, I heard some of the mud slinging on the weekend in the U14's, it's hard to bite your you tounge but your right parent chat and word gets around.
I echo your words, boys keep standing tall, nothing is set in stone, play hard have fun.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
"BraveandGame, post: 762031, member: 20727"]Does anyone have link to the City V Country program or a starting line up for the 13's and 14's??[/quote]
Try the Qld Reds web site/ page.

Status
Not open for further replies.