• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
RE Billy Gray and Ta Hosea, both are pretty green at the moment, having just finished high school last year and the year before respectively. Undoubtly both have great natural talent, just give them a bit of time to grow in size and maturity.

On a slightly related note, one thing that amazes me is how young this squad is, about half of them are fresh out of school. Vic rugby is coming along nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hi all,

last year GAGR covered the NRC better than any other media unit out there. We had the support of a great bunch of supporters who stuck their hand up and either wrote reviews or previews or took photos.

If you are keen to stick your hand up to help out this year, please send me a direct message and let me know (including team and which discipline).

We make it easy with you in terms of templates for match reviews and previews.

Media accreditation through the ARU will also be available.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship – Marquee Player Alignment:

Melbourne Rising
Sean McMahon
Luke Jones
Tom English

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't have time to do the breakdown beyond Rebels v Club. But this is the Rising team as named in the Hun

Rebels:

forwards; Cruze Ah-Nau, Steve Cummins, Colby Fainga’a, Scott Fuglistaller, Sam Jeffries, Luke Jones, Pat Leafa, Sean McMahon, Tim Metcher, Jordy Reid, Lopeti Timani

Backs: Jack Debreczeni, Tom English, Ben Meehan, Jonah Placid, Dom Shipperley

Club Players:

Forwards: Mitch Andrews, Duncan Chubb, Murray Douglas, Sakaria Noa, Fereti Sa'aga, Pom Simona, Sione Taufa, Mike Tyler

Backs: Maradona Farao, Stacey Ili, Justin Marsters, Junior Paila, Taiso Silafai-Leaana, Leo Taliu, Sasa Tofilau, Sione Tuipolotu

Stacked forward pack. Backs less convincing.

D

daz

Christ. Can we please assign 3 letter nicknames to the club backs players. After a few frothy's at the games, there is no way I am gonna remember those fella's names, let alone pronounce them.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
The ones I know off the top of my head.

Forwards:
Mitch Andrews, - Melbourne
Duncan Chubb,
Murray Douglas, - Quins I believe.
Sakaria Noa, - Souths
Fereti Sa'aga, - Uni
Pom Simona, - Quins
Sione Taufa, - Quins
Mike Tyler -

Backs:
Maradona Farao, - Quins
Stacey Ili, - Uni
Justin Marsters, - Quins
Junior Paila, - Endeavour
Taiso Silafai-Leaana, - Uni
Leo Taliu, - Quins
Sasa Tofilau, - Uni
Sione Tuipolotu - Souths

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Chubb is the Sydney Southern Districts I think, Tyler is Power House?

Anyway, if that's correct, then Quins have continued to dominate selection with 7 of the 17 players.

Uni with 4 and Souths with 2. Solitary reps from Melbourne, Hills and House, Chubb being this years fly in and no reps from Box Hill, Footscray or Moorabin.

If all the Rebels are Guaranteed selection, and McMahon's in the Wobbly squad, the side may look something like this:

1. Cruze Ah-Nau
2. Pat Leafa
3. Tim Metcher
4. Sam Jeffries
5. Luke Jones
6. Jordy Reid
7. Colby Fainga’a
8. Lopeti Timani
9. Ben Meehan
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Stacey Ili
12. Sione Tuipolotu
13. Tom English
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Jonah Placid

16. Mitch Andrews
17. Duncan Chubb
18. Fereti Sa'aga/Mike Tyler
19. Steve Cummins
20. Scott Fuglistaller
21. Maradona Farao/Junior Paila
22. Lloyd Johansen
23. Justin Marsters

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Chubb is the Sydney Southern Districts I think, Tyler is Power House?

Anyway, if that's correct, then Quins have continued to dominate selection with 7 of the 17 players.

Uni with 4 and Souths with 2. Solitary reps from Melbourne, Hills and House, Chubb being this years fly in and no reps from Box Hill, Footscray or Moorabin.

If all the Rebels are Guaranteed selection, and McMahon's in the Wobbly squad, the side may look something like this:

1. Cruze Ah-Nau
2. Pat Leafa
3. Tim Metcher
4. Sam Jeffries
5. Luke Jones
6. Jordy Reid
7. Colby Fainga’a
8. Lopeti Timani
9. Ben Meehan
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Stacey Ili
12. Sione Tuipolotu
13. Tom English
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Jonah Placid

16. Mitch Andrews
17. Duncan Chubb
18. Fereti Sa'aga/Mike Tyler
19. Steve Cummins
20. Scott Fuglistaller
21. Maradona Farao/Junior Paila
22. Lloyd Johansen
23. Justin Marsters

Lloyd didn't make it. Put Taiso in there, he was dominant over the weekend in the semi final and has been all year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Here's the Official announcement:

http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/2015-melbourne-rising-squad-announced

Contains where they see the players as well, which is useful for theoretical sides. Again, fudging of the numbers to say that all the clubs have reps.

2015 Melbourne Rising squad:
Cruze Ah-Nau (Prop, Footscray & Rebels)
Mitch Andrews (Hooker, Melbourne)
Duncan Chubb (Prop, Southern Districts (NSW))
Steve Cummins (Lock, Harlequin & Rebels)
Jack Debreczeni (Flyhalf, Endeavour Hills & Rebels)
Murray Douglas (Lock, Harlequin)
Tom English (Wing, Melbourne Uni & Rebels)*
Colby Fainga’a (Flanker, Footscray & Rebels)
Maradona Farao (Scrumhalf, Harlequin)
Scott Fuglistaller (Flanker, Moorabbin & Rebels)
Stacey Ili (Wing, Melbourne Uni)
Sam Jeffries (Lock, Melbourne Uni & Rebels)
Lloyd Johansson (Centre, Harlequin)
Luke Jones (Lock, Moorabbin & Rebels)*
Pat Leafa (Hooker, Box Hill & Rebels)
Justin Marsters (Fullback, Harlequin)
Sean McMahon (Flanker, Endeavour Hills & Rebels)*
Ben Meehan (Scrumhalf, Box Hill & Rebels)
Tim Metcher (Prop, Moorabbin & Rebels)
Sakaria Noa (Lock, Southern Districts)
Junior Paila (Scrumhalf, Endeavour Hills)
Jonah Placid (Fullback, Melbourne Uni & Rebels)
Jordy Reid (Flanker, Melbourne & Rebels)
Fereti Sa’aga (Prop, Melbourne Uni)
Dom Shipperley (Wing, Melbourne Uni & Rebels)
Taiso Silafai-Leaana (Centre, Melbourne Uni)
Pom Simona (Number 8, Harlequin)
Leo Taliu (Centre, Harlequin)
Sione Taufa (Flanker, Harlequin)
Lopeti Timani (Number Eight, Footscray & Rebels)
Sasa Tofilau (Centre, Melbourne Uni)
Sione Tuipulotu (Centre, Southern Districts)
Mike Tyler (Prop, Power House)

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Yes linking clubs like Footscray, Moorabbin and Box Hill to Rebels aligned players to the club to count as every club having a player.

BTW for those above saying Lloyd Johansson didn't make it... he did get included in squad.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes linking clubs like Footscray, Moorabbin and Box Hill to Rebels aligned players to the club to count as every club having a player.

BTW for those above saying Lloyd Johansson didn't make it. he did get included in squad.

Yeah just saw that, I was just commenting on what was in the Herald Sun as he wasn't listed there.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Flicked through the article again. He was mentioned in the body of the article as one of 5 full internationals (Jones, Shipperley, McMahon, Marsters and Lloyd), but not in the squads at the bottom, which created the confusion.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Fuglistaller is the logical choice as captain right?

It's a strong squad. Nothing on last years obviously, but definitely good enough to be there at the pointy end with some decent coaching.

Pretty keen to see how Tuipulotu and Sa'aga get on at this level.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With the exception of McMahon, we shouldn't lose anybody to international duties, so we won't be overly impacted by that aspect.

Pack is boss. Even without McMahon, if everybody is fit, we only need an amateur front row to polish it off.

Backline is a bit less polished overall than last year though. No Stirzaker, or Inman. Shipperley in for Telusa is fair enough. But how will blokes like Tuipolotu, Ily and Taiso compare to guys like Kamana and Sefa?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Completely forgot about Kamana. He's in Japan now, right? Bit of a shame.

Jones and Timani have got a lot to prove. They should be playing angry.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What happened to Stirzaker and Harris? Are they injured or in another team for the NRC? Stirzaker was great last year (and for the Rebels this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.