• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Quick Hands & mst

I am starting to come round to your way of thinking. One huge difference today is Gallop said some time ago he was far more interested in the domestic competition than the national sides. Then he appointed a new team to re build the national team and said results don't matter until the Asian Cup.

Can you see Pulver saying a similar thing.

T

Train Without a Station

Quick Hands & mst

I am starting to come round to your way of thinking. One huge difference today is Gallop said some time ago he was far more interested in the domestic competition than the national sides. Then he appointed a new team to re build the national team and said results don't matter until the Asian Cup.

Can you see Pulver saying a similar thing.

Why would he? It's a completely different situation. Has the Socceroos income been the most profitable arm of FFA?

To talk in business sense, could you have imagined Alan Joyce saying he was going to disregard Jetstar and results don't matter when it was the only profitable arm of Qantas?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Take your word for it. I have no idea about FFA revenue streams aside from some weeks ago they had almost double ARU sponsorship revenue.

What quick hands n mst said and I thinking they may be right is Soccer went broke and started afresh .

I am starting to think they may be right.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would he? It's a completely different situation. Has the Socceroos income been the most profitable arm of FFA?

To talk in business sense, could you have imagined Alan Joyce saying he was going to disregard Jetstar and results don't matter when it was the only profitable arm of Qantas?

Gallop didn't ignore the Socceroos, he said they were less important strategically than growing the A League. I don't know the FFA's financial breakdown but I would be surprised if the Socceroos weren't profitable for the FFA. They get big crowds to their home matches, play in big global tournaments and the FFA doesn't pay the players salaries like the ARU does for most Wallabies. If the A League makes them any money then that would be a very recent thing. The FFA isn't making big profits.

From a business sense sometimes changing strategy, and even cannibalising a traditionally successful product or market is the right way forward. Kodak's failure is one classic case study (despite inventing the digital camera they kept focusing on their traditional film business). And Apple has thrived by disrupting itself (the iPhone turned the all conquering iPod into a niche product for example).

Rugby in Australia relies way too much on the Wallabies winning big trophies. The last 10 years has shown it's not really the best strategy. And international rugby is only going to get more competitive. Soccer used to rely entirely on the Socceroos and cricket on the Aussie team. They have diversified and shifted their focus and are in stronger positions because of it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'd guess the ARU would argue sending themselves broke funding a Super rugby team in Melbourne (and to a lesser extent in Perth) along with two attempts at a national pro "third tier" was the attempt at diversification

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd guess the ARU would argue sending themselves broke funding a Super rugby team in Melbourne (and to a lesser extent in Perth) along with two attempts at a national pro "third tier" was the attempt at diversification

Their attempt or a requirement of the broadcasters? I wonder more and more as the loss making enterprises keep rolling on beyond what appears all reason to many here. All this occurs while less people each year watch the professional level of the game, whether it be test matches or Super Rugby.

Hindsight is wonderful and we can all say that the top down system is a failure, much like trickle down economics theory. What is stupid though is after nearly 20 years of professionalism those at the top do not recognise this, probably for the same reason that nothing is done on trickle down economics, its a bit hard to focus on the big picture when you are fighting your way to the trough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Using Alan Joyce and business sense in the same sentence???????

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, just about everything that he has forecast in the past decade hasn't eventuated, so we'll see.

BTW much of the alleged profitability of Jetstar and alleged loss making of the international arm was a result of cost shifting and interesting accounting practices. After almost driving the company into the ground and a decade of losses and shrinkage, we're supposed to now laud him as a business guru after "forecast profits"? Bit like the hostages being grateful to the terrorist for finally releasing them.

EDIT: Meant to attach this
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/qanta...many-questions-to-answer-20140828-108wov.html

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

To an extent, but it always seems like the most important thing for the ARU is to improve the depth and the pathways for the Wallabies. The treatment of the NRC shows it's definitely seen mainly as a development pathway. And even Super Rugby to some extent. It would be a better competition if the ARU and SANZAR made decisions on the basis of what's best for the competition itself and not necessarily what's best for the national teams.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure exactly why I'm defending the ARU here, but for the sake of the discussion I think it's worth noting that the government has provided FFA with over $120million since 2004 (that was in Nov 2011). It's not exactly been a bottom up grass roots success story. The owners of the clubs spend (tens of?) millions of dollars more than they earn each year too.

The ARU could do a lot of ignoring of the Wallabies if their other competitions were being propped up by the taxpayer.

Edit - and that's not even mentioning the support SBS gives the code

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure exactly why I'm defending the ARU here, but for the sake of the discussion I think it's worth noting that the government has provided FFA with over $120million since 2004 (that was in Nov 2011). It's not exactly been a bottom up grass roots success story. The owners of the clubs spend (tens of?) millions of dollars more than they earn each year too.

The ARU could do a lot of ignoring of the Wallabies if their other competitions were being propped up by the taxpayer.

Absolutely correct - FFA should get down on their metaphoric knees every night and thank the clowns who sent the code broke and rendered it's administration as something which made the EU look coherent. Out of that rubble came government millions.

T

Train Without a Station

Soccer as a spectator sport also managed to be strongly participated despite poor management. I'm sure this was a huge factor in the government handouts.

Rugby unfortunately does not have that luxury.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
f you want to trawl through the TVtonight TV blog rating archive you could probably get a pretty good idea from around 2011 onwards, maybe oztam have some of the earlier stuff, but it's a pretty massive job..Not something I'm going to volunteer for

I only have this year's data

Hi lads, Im the guy that does footyindustry,com. Ive just uploaded the Australian Super Rugby ratings for 2010-2012 if it helps.

Ive uploaded a spreadsheet with 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015 in it. Im going to attempt to rebuild 2013 from scratch since I didnt do rugby ratings at the time.

you can get that here.

If you have corrections or anything to pass on let me know. Hope this has helped.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Hi lads, Im the guy that does footyindustry,com. Ive just uploaded the Australian Super Rugby ratings for 2010-2012 if it helps.

Ive uploaded a spreadsheet with 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015 in it. Im going to attempt to rebuild 2013 from scratch since I didnt do rugby ratings at the time.

you can get that here.

If you have corrections or anything to pass on let me know. Hope this has helped.

Thanks heaps you have gone to a lot of trouble. Just one question in the 2015 spreadsheet you are missing a few Fox figures. What does that mean.

Once again many many thanks for the effort.

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks heaps you have gone to a lot of trouble. Just one question in the 2015 spreadsheet you are missing a few Fox figures. What does that mean.

Once again many many thanks for the effort.

Fox figures are typically missing almost entirely for matches played in South Africa without aussie teams but also matches that either mediaweel/tvtonight didnt report.

When I calculate an average its done on the reported ratiings and games, with no assumptions. Ive started putting the spreadsheets up at the end of the season so people can make the data do what they need it to.

Crowds for whatever reason are very hard to come by at times.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
What the figures from the Wookie Spreadsheet show is nowhere near as bad as some have suggested.

Below I have put up a simple table . In simple terms, it shows season games played and Fox Australian Average from the Wookie's spreadsheet.

10 - 42 - 85.5
11- 84 – 83
12 – 77 – 90
13 – TBA
14 – 42 – 85
15 – 65 – 64

2015 seems like a bad year but from 2010 to 2014 the average hardly moved. However the spreadsheet in 2015 demonstrates a massive fall in the last third of the season.

This seems fixable and the worry would be if it continues.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Edit - and that's not even mentioning the support SBS gives the code

And without mentioning by far their biggest asset, Frank Lowy.

How many millions has he poured into the game? We will never know.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
FFA are about to post a loss this financial year too.

Newcastle team in dire straights. QLD Roar not far behind.

It's a tough business this running a national team, national competition and national sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.