• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anyone here know if Scots are already training on the water which is what i have gathered.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Where is it set in stone that a winning junior VIII crew automatically becomes a winning 1st VIII crew? Each school would know who is leaving this year and who is coming up - but I sincerely doubt that sort of detail would be revealed on this forum.

I am going to sound like a broken record - but pulling a good erg does not necessarily mean you have great technique on the water. I think you could train a monkey to pull a good erg - but on water technique is a skill and working as one with precision blade work and direction from the cox - nine monkey's or cattle - or young men - Different story.

Having a legend as a coach consultant sounds impressive - but he can only work with what he has got - and like Major Rennie said - poor cattle - poor crews. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Personalities of each of the boys and the relationship they have with their coach is again a contributing factor.

I have heard rumours that Shore parents are very confident and they might be choking on their humble pie - but again if they push to hard the boys might just slip up. Again it might come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes on the day as to who wins.

I really think it is to early - I think it will be very interesting season. Watch this space.

What I will share with you - is that I an overjoyed that some ex GPS Rowers are heading to Rio. Last year I was worried that the boys stopped rowing after leaving Yr 12. I was pleased to "Support the Crew" and find out that young men who started rowing in GPS schools were selected.

Off to Rio they go - go the mighty Aussie's. :):):):) I cannot stop singing when my baby smiles me I go to Rio - to much red wine for a Monday night. :p

LBA I agree with most of what you say, especially the ex GPS rowers heading over to Rio, it truly is great news!

Having said that, a winning 1st Junior VIII usually does give some indication of what that year group is capable of achieving in year 12. Look to the Grammar crew of 2011 that won the Rennie, they won the 1st Junior VIII two years earlier. Another example is the Kings 1st Junior VIII of 2005, where they went on to win the Rennie in 2006 and 2007. Shore have been proving this as well for the past couple of years as well. Although Kings 1st Jnr VIII last year won and this year they came 6th in the 1st VIII at HotR, I wouldn't rule them out, especially with a change of coaching if I recall correctly.

L

LBA

Luv to Ro - do not assume anything because you run the risk of making and ass out of u and me. I believe the GPS boat sheds are open on some days allowing the boys the super keen boys to have a paddle - I do not think that Scots have picked their 1st VIII already and they are full on training.

I think if you get up and go for a paddle yourself you will see what is happening on the water - JB Sharp series I have heard - only heard not physically seen with my own two eyes - more GPS boys have turned up to have a little paddle. That is what my sources are telling me.

Liam Robertson - appreciate the discussion. Depth in the shed - I understand that but - but I would like it confirmed that the exact same crew including the cox remained unchanged from winning the 1st Junior VIII to winning the AAGPS HOR 1st VIII for both Grammar, Kings and Shore. I would put money on the fact that there were changes. The growth rate and the ability to bulk up is different for each individual. Each year group would be approx 40 boys not 9.

Bottom line is that - I just think it is to early - all the coaches the consultant coaches - the consultants to the consultant coaches - will have to wait for the summer sport selections to be made - see who actually rocks up to the shed and then start the selection process. Even then changes will be made right up to the day of the race - depending on health of the boys etc....

Until the bow ball crosses the line - it is open - hot contenders - previous wins all play are part - but it is not over until it is over and the hooter is sounded and the race is clear.

What about if a boy has to change sides to - he is a great rower but has only rowed stroke side - yes you can change but it takes time to get the feel of a different side. We all have preferred sides.

KT is not the only coach hunting hardware - every coach likes to wins and I am sure will be trying their very best to do just that. But their are also quiet achievers - I heard on the grape vine that last year a new younger coach hit the GPS circuit and had two wins at the AAGPS HOR.

And it is a small small world - MM is a legend but so is Bob Shirlaw and that other person whose name I cannot remember - everybody knows everybody - you cannot train an VIII on Sydney harbour and not get noticed by somebody. If you know what the coach boats look like - you know who is out - or if you get a coffee at the right place and keep your mouth closed so your ears work - you hear what is going on.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
The other legend surely is Gary Uebergang. Very humble man. He and Bob Shirlaw were the foundation for Shores success over the last 30 odd years. Gary still teaches German at Shore as I understand and the school is lucky to have had him for over 30 years.

As an aside, I think the speculation is just a bit of idle fun, not to be taken too seriously.

MR

L

LBA

Thank you MR - yes Gary Uebergang is the name that I could not think of.

I sincerely agree with you - I hope it is all just a bit of idle fun. Unfortunately
I have witnessed not so idle fun about GPS Rowing. Which is why I sort to increase my knowledge about it.

You are lovely. Thank you for remembering that name for me. It has been bugging me.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
LBA Thanks. I know it is not wise to assume but i'm just speculating.

On the subject of 1st Junior VIII's Shore will be extremely strong and have a lot of depth through from the eights to the fours with about 8 or 9 year 11's from the eights and i think at least three from the 1st and 2nd fours. However there is always the chance that a year 11 wants to focus on Rugby or whatever other reason that has already been discussed.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Gary still teaches German at Shore as I understand and the school is lucky to have had him for over 30 years.

MR

I believe Garry is more your classical type of guy. Still holds the record for winning your trophy (7), albeit DJ is hot on his heels (6).

rowbuddy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can confirm that Mike Doyle is heading over to View to be the head coach.

To my knowledge MD will take on the 1st VIII at View. He actually coached Dan Noonan as a school boy including 1997 world juniors. I think he can make a much needed difference at the View sheds.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Being a Shore old boy and coxswain. I can imagine the influence MD will have in the Riverview shed on knowing how to win.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't think I would refer to the members of any shed as "cattle".

That said, I think coaches make ALL the difference.
I remember growing up around Ryde when Forbes Carlisle was the coach of swimming at Ryde pool.....amazing how many world champions lived within walking distance of Ryde pool in those days.

A quality coach can turn a group of competent rowers into a champion crew but a competent coach cant turn a group of quality rowers into a champion crew.

The most successful school by far over the 40 years 1975 to 2015 has been Shore. Most of that I would call the "Shirlaw" factor. In recent years that factor has been transferred to Joeys and Scots, with immediate success.
( of course it still remains live and well at Shore)
This year we will see the effect of MD going to Riverview, whether they adopt the "Shirlaw" wow factor or not.

So assuming Riverview do adopt a more Shore like approach that will leave 4 of the schools using the same approach.

I think that leaves the next big improvement in GPS rowing in the hands of Kings and Newington, both whom are rowing schools when you consider the Rennie results over the 1975 to 2015 period, and both whom have chosen new coaching programmes for next year led by successful coaches.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
A very true point you raise there GPS Observer.

Does anyone have any possible 1st and 2nd VIII crews based on year 10 and 11 rowers from last year? This isn't that reliable, however a few people on this forum have already messaged me asking for possible Crews.

Thanks,

LR

L

LBA

Just for the record - it was MR that used the word cattle - and I would not speak on his behalf but I think it was more of a comment of breeding and depth in the shed. For "a quality coach" to turn "a group of competent rowers into a champion crew" you need to have boys who are competent to start with the raw talent pool so to speak.

I would never be disrespectful to any young man who puts in the training and hard work that is required to be part of any rowing crew. But you have to be honest - you have to start with something.

Who is anybody to stand in judgement of what crew anybody is in - 1st VIII or 3rd VIII - it really does not matter. Every young man would be trying his best and hopefully enjoying the sport.

So much for speculation and a bit of fun.

I think it would be very wrong for anybody to start naming names of any crew of any school that may or may not be selected. This forum is open for anybody to read - fancy a parent or a boy reading his name on this forum or NOT reading his name.

The "Shore" approach - what ever the hell that is - yes has the runs on the board but for goodness sake what about a fresh approach from somebody trying something different. Three or four Ferrari's all lining up to race - one will still be the winner. All have big powerful engines - all maybe have the same approach - but on that day - like I have said before it might be the driver that makes the least amount of mistakes on actual race day that wins.

Have been enjoying watching the first broadcast on You tube of Henley - it is not over until it is over.

I tried to start a conversation about coaching last year and nothing came of it.

Maybe only men get liked on this forum and you are all set in your ways not really open to discussion or speculation or a bit of fun.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but who is the coach of the Shore 2nd VIII?

L

LBA

This old cow might know - but I am not going to meow I mean moo :)

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
What are people's thoughts on Pathways for rowing? I think Shore has a student returning in the 1st VIII, as well as Scots. Newington had one last year I think as well?

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks oarsome!!. I know for a fact that Shore have a student returning in the first VIII not sure about Scots and Newington?

Status
Not open for further replies.