• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
semantics.
Did he plead guilty, or was he found guilty ? no.
Did he have to admit to the offence to enter,and then to successfully complete the diversionary program? Yes
Here's a better link
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/legal-me...ting-disputes-out-of-court/justice-mediation/
The Section 10 is a demonstration that guilt can be found,with no conviction recorded,so you have gone off in a tangent there.

But, back to KHunt.
How should he treated by the court system?
I say no less leniently than his team mate.

The Law is about the wording of the legislation and the procedure. So yes it is semantics.

The fact is Hunt entered a plea of guilty to an offence. Cooper entered no plea and the charges were not tested. Do you know what the contents of the mediation were? Of course not it is strictly confidential.

As for the Tangent of the NSW Sect. 10 you raised it to prove that other people charged can have their matters dismissed with no conviction recorded. I was pointing out for the board that the functionality of Section 10 is significantly different to the Qld diversionary mediation process. Indeed even if matter are dismissed under Section 10 (1) and no conviction is recorded, the very fact that this section was used for the offence is a matter of record, as is the plea of guilty.

Semantics yes, but the differences are important.

T

TOCC

I have friends who do cocaine, if they are going to buy cocaine its usually for a pre-arranged social occasion that involves multiple people, so they offer to buy some of the other people involved. Yes what they are doing is illegal but they aren't scumbags, if they do some cocaine they do it on their holidays or long weekends, its not a weeknight habit nor is it a regular one.

I understand some people don't like those who take drugs, but understand there is a large portion of society who don't see doing cocaine recreationally as been a bad thing.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But sir , it wasn't Coke.... I have a particular Penchant for Crème Puffs your honour , its those "Cockerooaacchheezz" from south of the boarder I tell you !

images

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
ha. i was with you until you let society go to shit.

I think regardless of whether drugs are legal or not you need to invest a lot of money in education and health services to reduce and treat drug use. Your squeaky wheel needs to get the grease.

Legalise it all, sell it like alcohol and tax it, use the tax money for preventative education.

Crime plummets, as a huge chunk of organised crime is about drugs, prisons are then reserved for the one's who deserve it.

Plus, you cut overdose rates massively, as the quality doesn't vary and it isn't cut with god knows what.

Simple. Any company who doesn't want their employees having fun in their downtime, can put it in their company policy and test for it, like the mines do extremely successfully.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think overdose rates plummet as a result of the purity. They plummet if people stop taking too much.

It will be a brave country that legalises all drugs. The ramifications are hard to predict. As with alcohol which has always been legal the long term impacts to society are still poorly understood and handled. It may reduce crime but what about the long term costs.

I'm not particularly anti-drugs, but they should not be legalised.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Cocaine eye drops are currently available on prescription in Australia.
Heroin is available in the UK for Palliative care

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
https://theconversation.com/promoti...ls-lead-to-increased-aggression-in-bars-43539

While the study may not be perfect the general stats involved fit the mould of increasing issues related with alcohol. Numerous studies also show young people are binge drinking at higher rates. The legalising of drugs into this environment is frought with danger. For every person who can manage their use, is someone who is unable.

It is an issue that would need to be extremely well thought out and then managed after implementation. Not something i would trust any political party to get right.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
???

If a user knows how much drug is in each shot, etc. they are less likely to OD.

In a perfect world you may just be correct. Yes, some ODs may not happen. Increase the user base and I doubt the number would actually decrease. We know exactly how much alcohol is in a drink and how many people still OD, get their stomachs pumped, lose all control, lose time and put themselves and others into danger in other ways. People are not clever a lot of the time, even less so when affected by many of these substances.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
https://theconversation.com/promoti...ls-lead-to-increased-aggression-in-bars-43539

While the study may not be perfect the general stats involved fit the mould of increasing issues related with alcohol. Numerous studies also show young people are binge drinking at higher rates. The legalising of drugs into this environment is frought with danger. For every person who can manage their use, is someone who is unable.

It is an issue that would need to be extremely well thought out and then managed after implementation. Not something i would trust any political party to get right.

And yet you say with apparent certainty that drugs shouldn't be legalised. How do you know the risk of doing so is greater than the risk of not doing so? The Internet isn't any more qualified to decide these matters than politicians are.

As a father, I believe the greatest risk by far is adulteration, which can kill people outright. That's a real, current danger. The second greatest risk is criminality, and association with criminals as role models.

But I could be wrong.

I certainly don't see much harm in the recreational use of cocaine, but like alcohol, it's one of those drugs that for some people becomes impossible to not dangerously abuse.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
In a perfect world you may just be correct. Yes, some ODs may not happen. Increase the user base and I doubt the number would actually decrease. We know exactly how much alcohol is in a drink and how many people still OD, get their stomachs pumped, lose all control, lose time and put themselves and others into danger in other ways. People are not clever a lot of the time, even less so when affected by many of these substances.

Mate anyone who wants to, does.

Criminalisation doesn't make it harder to obtain. You could even argue that by taking away the 'doing something illegal adrenaline rush", the rates of use among the young would decrease.

I do love how many people have outed themselves on this thread though :p

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Charges against Beau Falloon dismissed today. No case to answer. I still believe Hunt could have similarly beaten the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.