• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@RedsHappy, you know you will still buy into it.

We all do.

We are enablers :D

It works right up to the point of collapse. Look at the Tahs membership right through the professional era. It was fairly stable but when the contempt for the fans became apparent and the management divorced from them it collapsed. The woeful game plans and mode of play were the final tipping point.

Where are the Reds on this same road? IMO you have the game plans/play, the disdain and obfuscation from the the management. The collapse of the only viable province in Oz will happen if they don't pull their heads from their rear ends.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The thing I don't get about announcing things at the gala ball is there is no upside to keeping them quiet. All it does is piss Reds fans off.

They've got to have some kind of draw card for people to buy tickets to this Gala. After all, there probably isn't enough players to be seated as a guest at every table

dasduke

Frank Nicholson (4)
The thing I don't get about announcing things at the gala ball is there is no upside to keeping them quiet. All it does is piss Reds fans off.

Could not agree more. They are just building resentment and generating ill will. The signing news will not be able to undo all the damage. They keep trying this strategy and it is costing them dearly.

Whoever is running their PR and Marketing has also finished at the bottom of the table also.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Could not agree more. They are just building resentment and generating ill will. The signing news will not be able to undo all the damage. They keep trying this strategy and it is costing them dearly.

Whoever is running their PR and Marketing has also finished at the bottom of the table also.

They gave us those mascots of the players that dance around the stadium with Rusty. They are a triumph and really add to the whole match day experience.

This year they had superhero cartoons of the players in the big screen, what was Kev's superhero name?

I know they came out of the Rookies to Reds and the kids created them but it is weird to watch superhero depictions of the players only to watch us get owned on the field.

T

TOCC

I disagree, I think the PR and marketing of the Reds is above that of the other franchises in Australia.. In Sydney you would barely know that the Tahs exist, in Brisbane when I visit you hear about the Reds regularly on the news, on the radio and see them on billboards..

At the end of the day the marketing team can't polish a turd, if the product they are trying to market is rubbish then they are already disadvantaged and trying to push shit up hill. I think the player announcements in regards to signings is a strategic decision made by upper management rather then just a decision made by the marketing division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Same effect either way. As far as I am concerned they are all jointly the main part of the turd. Is anyone in marketing standing up and saying something?

The turd is trying to polish itself.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Same effect either way. As far as I am concerned they are all jointly the main part of the turd. Is anyone in marketing standing up and saying something?

The turd is trying to polish itself.

I can just see the new ad campaign from Woolworths coming out describing in detail how they rip off Australian farmers. Apple's marketing team have also gone rogue and will outline how they avoid paying taxes in high tax countries and then apologise for it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I disagree, I think the PR and marketing of the Reds is above that of the other franchises in Australia.. In Sydney you would barely know that the Tahs exist, in Brisbane when I visit you hear about the Reds regularly on the news, on the radio and see them on billboards..

At the end of the day the marketing team can't polish a turd, if the product they are trying to market is rubbish then they are already disadvantaged and trying to push shit up hill. I think the player announcements in regards to signings is a strategic decision made by upper management rather then just a decision made by the marketing division.

Some good points in there TOCC.

I guess what some of us distinguish, and you touch on this, is the difference between 'marketing presence' and 'correctness and balance of content' within that presence.

In my experience the Reds' marketing that I think alienates fans more than motivates them is of these general types:

- highly hubristic statements implying or promising exceptional performances by the team or individual Reds players - we all recall the 'When Greatness Calls' campaign - either before mediocrity or worse is delivered, and when, even more alienating, this grandiosity is all repeated all over again after a long run of awful performances and outcomes just as though nothing's changed

.....coupled with......

- continuous barrages of emails selling endless varieties of Reds products and events (at typically no small cost) when this is not balanced by any messages from QRU management that honestly attempts to explain poor team performance and/or honestly deal with the issue openly and indicate what's credibly being done to improve things for the benefit of fans.

The impression given by these types of poor marketing strategy calls is that either Reds' fans can be treated as fools who'll just always fall for communications fairy floss and/or that their primary purpose is not as a genuine community of QLD rugby lovers but rather to simply serve as a willing database from which the QRU can mount intrusive sales campaigns to sell its other products to.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I can just see the new ad campaign from Woolworths coming out describing in detail how they rip off Australian farmers. Apple's marketing team have also gone rogue and will outline how they avoid paying taxes in high tax countries and then apologise for it.

You want the team from Woolies to be the model for a rugby club?

Talk about mis-direction.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Given how the Reds have confronted their responsibility, how are they defined?

Can't wait for next years genius.
Yeah, I still don't really understand what they were trying to drive home with that slogan. I don't think someone from a marketing background came up with that one. It sounds more like something from a middle management position. It's not a catchphrase at all.

Just don't give it over to accounts department to come up with one:
"*roar* WE ARE QLD
*roar* WE ARE RED
*roar* The fiscal challenges of the first half of this financial year coupled with an unusually large capital expenditure have led to a short term dip in our cashflow... "

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It sounds more like something from a middle management position. It's not a catchphrase at all.
]

This is so true. It is exactly what gets produced from a group whiteboard session to create a departments mission statement.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Have the Reds marketing team announced any big signings to their squad for 2016?

I find some of the stuff stupid as well but lets keep this discussion on the rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.