• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A lock would probably be best, but failing that tala would be a very handy pick up.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder if there'll be many Vics signed. We need 2 props, Fereti might get a go as the 6th one. Tuipolotu might too, but he might still be viewed as immature physically. Lots of teams need to recruit a halfback, so maybe one of the rising boys will get lucky and find themselves with a contract.

Ah well. Speculation. Lets see when the next signing is and go from there.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
When the Rebels first started thats when Tala G should have come home to Melbourne. It is my understanding that he didn't want to at that stage. Anyway is his body in good shape, lots and lots of injuries and surgery since about 20 years of age.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
in terms of the players they have stated are going, does that mean Radike is staying?

That is a good question. IIRC he was on a one-year deal to 'have another tilt at the world cup', which now looks extremely unlikely. He seems to be investing himself more in the off-field side of things, such as the Island Breeze program.

Having said that, we'll keep him :)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I have no idea. Inagaki isn't listed either.

Think Inagaki will be primed to play for the Japanese Super Rugby team. Whoever that is.

BTW - has there been any further announcements on the team? Who is playing? Who is coaching? What's their name?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as far as i know Eddie Jones is Director of coaching, both the Super team and Japan. no name, no players as yet.
ps might be fun to see "DK" running around in the Rising

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No news on the Japanese team. They're all over the place. Eddie Jones is the director of Rugby, they should have a name by the end of the month, and the Japanese season has been modified to finish before the start of Super Rugby season, but nothing on players or structures.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
That is a good question. IIRC he was on a one-year deal to 'have another tilt at the world cup', which now looks extremely unlikely. He seems to be investing himself more in the off-field side of things, such as the Island Breeze program.

He's trotting out in QPR at the moment. If he was sticking around he would be playing in the Dewar Shield.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Rebels have got to do what they have got to do and I respect that. I wish they could find another lock and play Tamani at 8. From a Wallaby POV he could be what we need into the future.

Did no-one else see Jeffries in that final Force game? I was bloody excited! he's a big ugly bruiser, why wouldn't you have a Jeffries Jones 4-5 pairing with McMahon, Ried and Timani in the back row. That pack would scare the crap out of a lot of teams. Jeffries needs to spend the NRC getting noticed and fit. Then you'll have your forward pairing.

Reactions: daz

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Regardless, we do need about 3 more players across that lock/6/8 area for next season.

If 1 or 2 of them is best 23 material, it means we don't have to rely on Jeffries or Cummins standing up to be as or more competitive than last year, and if they still do, all the better, competition for spots is a good thing, especially when quite a few are locked in for 2 more seasons.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
You must've been watching a very, very different game to me. Jeffries is everything wrong with talent ID in this country.

What I noticed was plenty of good hard hits in defence and a couple of carries. obviously the 60 minute stint left him gassed by the end, but he was nevvr meant to play that long. With some work I think he'd be a good starter with Jones.

D

daz

So I see the ARU (Cheika) are trying to lure Kane Douglas back yo OZ. For elegiblity into the RWC he'd need to land into a Super Rugby Team.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...from-irish-rugby/story-fndpt9s1-1227431243687

I can't imagine Cadeyrn Neville would be jumping up and down about the news.

Agree, but Reddle-Neville's predicament seems to my far from expert eyes a predicament of his own making.

He was starting games, having an impact, getting a Wallaby camp, big future.

Then, overnight, he just fell off the cliff; either taking it for granted or loss of appetite for hard yards. Pyle overtook him and Neville never really recovered.

I hope the Reds re activate his hunger as Oz rugby always needs big bodies who can do damage to the opposition. And he is a really nice bloke as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

daz

You must've been watching a very, very different game to me. Jeffries is everything wrong with talent ID in this country.

Harsh. I think Sam is a real rough diamond and hopefully TMcG is the right bloke to polish him to true Super Rugby level.

Loads of potential and I'm happy to have him in the squad.

Cummins on the other hand, worries me. His sprint is not much more than a dawdle, and he seems well out of his depth. Hope I'm wrong, but not sure he is a long term prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)

Why? I mean, Radike was a bit of a legend for the Wallabies & Reds, but I don't see why we need to humour him in his retirement at the Rebels. He takes up a spot and presumably gets paid, things that are in scarce supply that should be invested in our youth. Not to disrespect the guy, but bringing him down to Melbourne never made any sense to me, and even less so as time goes on.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Why? I mean, Radike was a bit of a legend for the Wallabies & Reds, but I don't see why we need to humour him in his retirement at the Rebels. He takes up a spot and presumably gets paid, things that are in scarce supply that should be invested in our youth. Not to disrespect the guy, but bringing him down to Melbourne never made any sense to me, and even less so as time goes on.

While I do agree with you to an extent, he does offer a wealth of experience that i think would of benefited the guys this year. Might be a bit unnecessary next year

Reactions: daz
Status
Not open for further replies.