• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I hope the Wallabies and the ARU do something special for Richie's last game on Australian soil. As much as he's been there to rain on our parade for so faaaaarking long, he is an incredible competitor - possibly the best ever - and deserves the appreciation of the Australian rugby and sporting community.

Maybe have Cooper kick him in the carjolies. After all, this is war.:)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I hope the Wallabies and the ARU do something special for Richie's last game on Australian soil. As much as he's been there to rain on our parade for so faaaaarking long, he is an incredible competitor - possibly the best ever - and deserves the appreciation of the Australian rugby and sporting community.

Yeah me too. Despite the (at times) bitter rivalry between the two sides, the All Blacks have shown in the past that after the final whistle they are a very gracious side that greatly respect longevity in the game. They have made some touching gestures to some of our greats of the game and we should indeed return the favour.

After the game though. Nothing before.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
part of me is tempted to go with a 6/2 bench, removing Giteau and adding Palu. It's a bit risky but we need to take some risks if we are going to beat NZ.

I will be very surprised if Cliff Palu doesn't get time off the bench in this match. He is probably a definite for the RWC, so now needs to get good, hard game time beforehand.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Absolutely cannot see this happening. One player Cheika has clearly not been interested in during the lead ups, and another he has said he only sees him as a 10.

Most importantly the 3rd 10-12 combo in 3 games with not a single player maintaining the same position is pretty insane.

It's the old logic that Cooper and Foley didn't do great at 10 so Giteau must be better since he wasn't there to look bad.

Why? Lilo was HUGE in the last Bledisloe match, especially in defense. We don't have an undisputed #10, so we must prove all the combinations before the WC. Even I want to see Lilo at 10 in the Decider Bledisloe match.

To'omua must rest because he's the best option at 12 for the WC and has a long history of hits to the head, I'm even worried about his career that could end early as McCabe's career

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Absolutely cannot see this happening. One player Cheika has clearly not been interested in during the lead ups, and another he has said he only sees him as a 10.

Most importantly the 3rd 10-12 combo in 3 games with not a single player maintaining the same position is pretty insane.

It's the old logic that Cooper and Foley didn't do great at 10 so Giteau must be better since he wasn't there to look bad.

Agree with you about the 10 spot. I would not want to see Matt Giteau put there, and he has said himself that 10 is not his best position. Need to stay with either Foley or Quade atm, but really can't make up my mind about who I'd prefer.

At 12, however, I would really like to see Christian given a go, and he was brought into the squad last week when Matt Giteau pulled out. Christian is most like-for-like with Matt To'omua. He runs to the line, can break the line with a step, is very strong in defense (a must for a 12 against the likes of Nonu or Fekitoa), and can play as a second distributor when required. Probably offers a slightly more reliable goal kicker than either Foley or Cooper atm also.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Kiwis are beatable, but it won't be easy. One positive is that the Springboks had them on toast for much of the match on Saturday, but they switched off at critical moments, and then were a bit unlucky with the uncontested scrums.

We absolutely must select our strongest available side, as this is not the time to experiment with untried players.

I'm not saying the Kiwi scrum and lineout are bad, but I think the Wallabies could get some benefit from putting a lot of pressure on Coles - the South Africans did. Also, Allende and Kriel had a lot of success running through (and sometimes around) Kiwi defenders (including Nonu and C Smith). Most importantly, we have to play with maximum aggression whilst also completing the individual skills well (passes, tackles, kicks, clean outs).

Kicking a few penalties and conversions wouldm't hurt either.

Without To'omua and Hooper at the time is impossible. To'omua is the best #12 and Hooper is a great impact player for the second half. Even with both is almost impossible.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
What about this team? Fark I hope we rip in and give it to the All Blacks - no doubt Cheik will have them revved up.

1) Slipper
2) Moore
3) Holmes
4) Douglas
5) Skelton
6) Fardy
7) Pocock
8) McCalman
9) Phipps
10) Foley
11) Speight
12) To'omua
13) Kurindrani
14) AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15) Folau

Bench - TPN, Sio, Kepu, Simmons, Palu, Hooper, Giteau, Beale

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Kiwis are beatable, but it won't be easy. One positive is that the Springboks had them on toast for much of the match on Saturday, but they switched off at critical moments, and then were a bit unlucky with the uncontested scrums.

We absolutely must select our strongest available side, as this is not the time to experiment with untried players.

I'm not saying the Kiwi scrum and lineout are bad, but I think the Wallabies could get some benefit from putting a lot of pressure on Coles - the South Africans did. Also, Allende and Kriel had a lot of success running through (and sometimes around) Kiwi defenders (including Nonu and C Smith). Most importantly, we have to play with maximum aggression whilst also completing the individual skills well (passes, tackles, kicks, clean outs).

Kicking a few penalties and conversions wouldm't hurt either.

(Quick aside: Great to see you back again Langthorne - memories of our times together here doubting Deans as The Master Coach back in 2010. Come è la voce?)

'The Kiwis are beatable'........oh yes.........interesting at the Reds RWC Long Lunch on July 16 Sir Graham Henry pointed out how very, very close the Wallabies came to winning the BC last year as he highlighted (a) Hooper's multiple decisions in BC1 to not take penalty points but attempt to attack via line outs which did not yield points.... 'you should and could have won that game' and (b) 'your 9's decision to kick the ball back to the ABs in the dying minutes, big mistake, caused the loss in BC3 that you should have deservedly won'.

The smallest of Wallaby errors of inexperience or pressure. Decisive though, in the end. Must do better next time.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree with you about the 10 spot. I would not want to see Matt Giteau put there, and he has said himself that 10 is not his best position. Need to stay with either Foley or Quade atm, but really can't make up my mind about who I'd prefer.

At 12, however, I would really like to see Christian given a go, and he was brought into the squad last week when Matt Giteau pulled out. Christian is most like-for-like with Matt To'omua. He runs to the line, can break the line with a step, is very strong in defense (a must for a 12 against the likes of Nonu or Fekitoa), and can play as a second distributor when required. Probably offers a slightly more reliable goal kicker than either Foley or Cooper atm also.

For me the Brumby combination (Lilo-To'omua) is the best ATM but To'omua needs rest. So I want to prove Lilo-Giteau together

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm leaning towards;
10 Quade
12 Lilo

Quade gets the nod because in Foley's last game for Waratahs, his field kicking was not long enough to relieve pressure when exiting. Quades boot has been very good in the last 2 matches. Foley's lack of height was also exploited when he was defending bombs in the backfield.
Lilo gets the nod as I think To'omua needs the recovery time.

Bench options are complex.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Fly half will be Cooper or Foley and I'll tip Cooper to start.

My own personal take on Chieka's thinking is this.
He knows what Foley offers but thinks that Cooper potentially offers more, whether he can execute within the structures and team around him under Chieka's/Larkham's guidance is the question mark.

Starts Cooper against the Boks at Suncorp. Familiar ground and opponents. If he can't produce the goods there then that probably goes some way to answering the big question above. Start Foley against the Argies as he is reasonably dependable and Chieka would be confident he can do the job.

I don't think Chieka would have been counting on the game in Mendoza playing out the way it did. Quade hasn't played 12 since 2009 or 10 from memory so I don't think Chieka will be placing a great deal of emphasis on his ability at 10 on a unexpected performance at 12. I think the only reason he put Cooper on instead of Beale is just to see if he has that utility value that Beale and others do. Fair to say he doesn't. So he starts at 10 or doesn't play probably.

Cooper will start at 10 in Bledisloe 1.

T

Train Without a Station

I think it would be foolish to just say Quade can't be our best 10 because he's played indifferently in 2 tests. 1 was his 5th game of the season and the 2nd he was playing out of position due to injury.

That being said, I wouldn't consider it a poor decision to end up at Foley.

Status
Not open for further replies.