• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v All Blacks, Ellis Park 25/7/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This pic does my heart good !! Long may this attitude continue!
e5l97r0.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
AB 10.png
An entertaining Test which was worth watching 3 times – once for the enjoyment and twice more to gather the Ruck statistics.

The overall stats for each team are fairly even with some noticeable exceptions:
· Springboks made the most runs (125:108) but with fewer metres (436:477)
·Springboks had the most Clean Breaks (10:7) and Defenders Beaten (28:19)
·Springboks conceded the most Turn Overs (17:13)
·All Blacks missed the most tackles (28:19)
·All Blacks stole 20% (3 from 15) of the Springbok Line Outs.
·All Blacks had the most Penalties conceded (13:9) as well as Whitelock’s Yellow Card.

The Springboks won 83 of 86 rucks (96%). The All Blacks won 69 of 75 rucks (92%).

The All Blacks Forwards seemed to actively avoid Defensive Rucks. Defensive Ruck engagements were only 15% of the Total Ruck engagements by Forwards. The All Blacks Backs were involved in 17% of Total Ruck engagements but only 8% of Defensive Ruck engagements.

The Springbok Forwards were more involved in Defensive Rucks. Defensive Ruck engagements were 23% of the Total Ruck engagements by Forwards. The Springbok Backs were involved in 16% of Total Ruck engagements but 26% of Defensive Ruck engagements.

Heinrich Brussow, the Springboks’ OSF, was a pest at the breakdown for most of the match. He earned 3 Turn Overs from his 11 Defensive Ruck engagements. He was very well supported by Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis who both had 1 TOW from their 6 Defensive Ruck engagements.

From the first 4 TWC Tests it is obvious that the Springboks and All Blacks Front Row Forwards generally have more involvement at the breakdown than their Wallabies counterparts.

Not surprisingly, Turn Overs, are most often achieved by players with early arrival to Defensive Rucks >80% of the time. (Brussow early 10 out of 11 Def. Rucks – 91%)

(David Pocock earned his 3 Turn Overs against the Pumas from 16 Defensive Ruck engagements with early arrival for 15 of 16 Def. Rucks – 94%)

Remember:
  1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
  2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
  3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.
Boks Rucks.png

Note: In his 21 mins Flip van de Merwe did not have a single ruck engagement. He did make 3 tackles.

AB Rucks.png

RUCKS – 10-MINUTE BREAKDOWN

The rucks per 10 minutes show those contributing most to the ruck work at key stages during the match.

For both teams the OSF is the key ruck exponent with most involvement in Defensive Rucks.

Both sides have Front Rows which are very active at the breakdown.

Retallack is generally a cut above most Locks. Locks are generally strong supporters of their team's ball carriers.

Broadhurst appeared to struggle at the Test level.

The All Blacks increased their ruck involvement and intensity in the last 20 minutes and had strong contributions from their replacements. Ben Franks had 11 ruck involvements in the last 10 mins. which matched Jannie Du Plessis' opening 10 mins.

Boks 10.png

AB 10 2.png

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Great stats!!!

First thing I noticed was McCaw's 33 rucks. Not bad for a washed up old guy.

And you are right. The Australian front row would have to play two games to rack up the sort of involvement stats for the two best teams in world rugby.

Ben Franks: 13! ruck involvements in less than 20 minutes. Our starting front row would consider those stats good for a whole game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bloody great work ForceFan, a Like doesn't tell you how impressed I am with your work! Thanks heaps for that. It also show what we all saw, the ABs didn't commit players to rucks a lot of the time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez when you look at those stats, you start to get an idea how big Richie McCaws motor is. That is a seriously good workrate!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue, was the previous scrum with the two TH's packing down though?

You mean two bok TH's? No it was Beast and Koch. They got a penalty. I think the next scrum They got a lot of go forward and Schalk picked up from the back. Then there was another knock on and Koch had to go off with blood.

I think.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
You mean two bok TH's? No it was Beast and Koch. They got a penalty. I think the next scrum They got a lot of go forward and Schalk picked up from the back. Then there was another knock on and Koch had to go off with blood.

I think.

From what I recall, the first scrum after the Whitleock YC, Beast left arm goes to ground first and then B. Franks goes to ground, but Boks are awarded a penalty and advantage.

On the penalty the Boks go for scrum and they get good go forward. Burger sort of miss times the pick up but takes it forward, a ruck ensues and then the pass to Koch which s knocked on.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Damn McCaw is a beast. It's not just the number of break-downs he gets to but how many times he is the first or second player there - just a beast!

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Damn McCaw is a beast. It's not just the number of break-downs he gets to but how many times he is the first or second player there - just a beast!

Just immense. He will become a Sir one day. I think no Saffa dislikes the guy, maybe sometimes the way he is (not) policed at the breakdowns, but that's the officiating lacking, not his fault at all.

By the way, with Le Roux at fullback getting done that easily by a hooker will mean we won't win the World Cup, he's just too incomplete a player. It's not the first time in the last 3 weeks he was beaten so easily.

Not for one moment do I ever want Kirchner near a Bok squad personally, but he was never afraid to tackle, and was a hard nut. Perhaps there was method to the madness regarding the persistence with him.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Franks: 13! ruck involvements in less than 20 minutes. Our starting front row would consider those stats good for a whole game.

He is often a much maligned player, but the guy has for the past couple of years been a superb impact off the bench because he just hits ruck after ruck with some decent force. He's a penalty waiting to happen some times, but he does have provide that spark through his ruck work in the final quarter.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Dewald, I have apologised to the Bokke team profusely in my head, as soon as I realised how it came about:( . Why I was so pissed I never thought they would call it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He is often a much maligned player, but the guy has for the past couple of years been a superb impact off the bench because he just hits ruck after ruck with some decent force. He's a penalty waiting to happen some times, but he does have provide that spark through his ruck work in the final quarter.

I've rated him pretty highly for the last 2 years, gets through heaps of work and put on a hit.
I think I'd take him over his brother to be honest.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've rated him pretty highly for the last 2 years, gets through heaps of work and put on a hit.
I think I'd take him over his brother to be honest.

Owen is better at scrum time though. I thought Owen came up big on Saturday. He made some big tackles, stopping Bok forwards on their tracks. He's continuing to improve and I don't think has hit his peak yet given he's only 27.

Speaking of scrims, Woody was getting worked over at scrum time by JdP.

G

galumay

Isn't the rule in lineouts that if the halfback enters someone in the line must exit? Or is the ruling that the hooker had already thrown the ball before mccaw started his run in?

Your comment got lost a bit in the discussion about the scrums, but McCaw's try was probably illegal on two counts. It seems to me the ABs always have a few 'secret' plays like this that they can pull out of the hat in desperate situations.

I think its one of the ways they win the close ones. No team is better in the world at playing at the edge of the laws and taking advantage of any refereeing inexperience or interpretations.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Your comment got lost a bit in the discussion about the scrums, but McCaw's try was probably illegal on two counts. It seems to me the ABs always have a few 'secret' plays like this that they can pull out of the hat in desperate situations.

I think its one of the ways they win the close ones. No team is better in the world at playing at the edge of the laws and taking advantage of any refereeing inexperience or interpretations.

Technically it may well have been illegal, but I doubt any referee in the world would've awarded the penalty. The only time I can recall teams being penalised for incorrect halfback positioning was way back when they first brought the law in. I, personally, had forgotten about it and I wouldn't be surprised if professional referees had as well.

I also believe that TMO's cannot rule on set plays. Ergo using replays wouldn't be an option, thus making it a split-second on-field call.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
was busy with line walking the last week. Watched only the first half, got all exciting then load shedding struck and dicided to braai and never want to watch the second half. Thought at half time the Bokke played well and the All Blacks were a bit lucky to draw the score. Anyways on we go to the WC, have a feeling this is going to be a llllloooonnngggg WC coming up for the Bok supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.