• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
HUGE NEWS- 2015 SQUAD ANNOUNCED:
Coach Geoff Townsend has announced the ‪#‎NorthHarbourRays‬ for 2015 including upcoming Waratahs talent Jack Dempsey and Wallaby Scott Sio, and of course Luke Holmes as skipper!

THE SQUAD: Luke Holmes (Warringah, captain), Scott Sio (Wallabies, Brumbies, Northern Suburbs), Josh Holmes (Warringah), Mitch Lewis (Manly), James Hilterbrand (Manly), Sam Ward (Warringah), Ed Gower (Manly), Cameron Treloar (Warringah), Mark Johnson (Gordon), Harry Bergelin (Manly), Jack Dempsey (Gordon), Sam Lane (Manly), Reece Hodge (Manly), Michael Adams (Warringah), Dave Feltscheer (Warringah), Tom Hill (Eastwood), Ruairidh Wilson (Gordon), Harry Rorke (Gordon), Lawrence Hunting (Northern Suburbs), Boyd Killingworth (Warringah), Hamish Angus (Warringah), Richard Hooper (Manly), Alex Northam (Manly), Rory O’Connor (Warringah), Tim Donlan (Manly), Tyson Davis (Warringah), Richard Woolf (Northern Suburbs), John Porch (Northern Suburbs), Dennis Pili-Gaitau (Manly), John Fakai (Manly), James Wilkinson (Gordon), Tyson Davis (Warringah), Nick Palmer (Northern Suburbs), Sione Ala (Gordon), Tim Duschene (Northern Suburbs).
PLEASE NOTE: Three props still to be named.

North Harbour Rays HEAD COACH: Geoff Townsend (Gordon)
ASSISTANT COACH: Damien Cummins (Manly)
ASSISTANT COACH: Julian Huxley (Gordon)
DIRECTOR OF RUGBY: Grahame O’Donnell (Northern Suburbs)
TEAM MANGER: Aidan Baker (Warringah)

Will there be any further inclusions because this squad will struggle to compete with the sides to be put forward by Melbourne, QLD, ACT and Perth. The Rams will look quite strong with the depth of talent in that squad.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Released by Edinburgh at the end of the last season. He'd fallen back from 2nd string to 4th string, after a young lad and a converted backrower both took opportunities over the 2 international windows.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I personally would have higher expectations of this squad than last season Dave do you agree?

They have a training platform this season which for a squad with no super rugby players to call from was hard to form combinations last season.

Saying that 7 of these players have Super Rugby experience excluding Fardy,M.Hooper.

Last years had 6 at that point in time.

The longer this NRC goes on I believe the Rays will become more competitive (meaning the competition is going well) players will choose to spend these 8 weeks at clubs near where they grew up (like the Big Bash) and the Northern area of Sydney produces a huge amount of representative players.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I personally would have higher expectations of this squad than last season Dave do you agree?

They have a training platform this season which for a squad with no super rugby players to call from was hard to form combinations last season.

Saying that 7 of these players have Super Rugby experience excluding Fardy,M.Hooper.

Last years had 6 at that point in time.

The longer this NRC goes on I believe the Rays will become more competitive (meaning the competition is going well) players will choose to spend these 8 weeks at clubs near where they grew up (like the Big Bash) and the Northern area of Sydney produces a huge amount of representative players.

Hmmmm I'm not sure yet.
I think last squad was stronger, however I would have had some of the starting player a little different. The selection last year appeared to ensure all player, and clubs got game time. I know some will say it is club focused but I'll provide two examples;
Porecki & Holmes - both very good hookers, one in nearing the end of his career, one is just starting out and was even with the Tahs this year.
Hingano & Matthews - to be fair I haven't seen enough of Matthews to pas comment, only seen his NRC games and I prefer more games to appraise. But Hingano would have been one of my first picked - i is now a starter in a Top14.
The Halves last year was another one - Lucas is a class act and he should have started every game.

I've looked over the list and there are some must starts in every game, based on form, age, local. I hope it happens, why we have any club players from outa area i dont know.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Hmmmm I'm not sure yet.
I think last squad was stronger, however I would have had some of the starting player a little different. The selection last year appeared to ensure all player, and clubs got game time. I know some will say it is club focused but I'll provide two examples;
Porecki & Holmes - both very good hookers, one in nearing the end of his career, one is just starting out and was even with the Tahs this year.
Hingano & Matthews - to be fair I haven't seen enough of Matthews to pas comment, only seen his NRC games and I prefer more games to appraise. But Hingano would have been one of my first picked - i is now a starter in a Top14.
The Halves last year was another one - Lucas is a class act and he should have started every game.

I've looked over the list and there are some must starts in every game, based on form, age, local. I hope it happens, why we have only club players from outa area i dont know.

Totally agree.
Last seasons squad was much more stronger. This squad to me doesn't have much other teams won't fear. It's sad because the Northern areas of Sydney produce such good talent.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Ale, Daruda, Crawford, Cunningham, Lucas, Jones, Peterson, Porecki, Sefanaia, McNamara, Tagicakibau, Maraki, Melrose, Wells, Hingano, Vaevae, Gukibau, Lah, Fraser, Matthews, Preston, Games all gone from last season's squad for a variety of reasons.

Your three examples are an example of a starting squad that doesn't have a clear idea of it's playing shape and plans hopefully this year it becomes a tad easier.

I honestly would not fault any coach for selecting those 6 discussed over one another although the Holmes football brand can be found out at NRC level. Matthews had some good games and Hingano had an average one I think and didn't get to really show his wares that much.

Both are now in France.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Your three examples are an example of a starting squad that doesn't have a clear idea of it's playing shape and plans hopefully this year it becomes a tad easier.

I honestly would not fault any coach for selecting those 6 discussed over one another although the Holmes football brand can be found out at NRC level. Matthews had some good games and Hingano had an average one I think and didn't get to really show his wares that much.
Both are now in France.

I was concerned about selections last year, now even more concerned that we had as you say "no clear idea of playing shape or plans were communicated".

As i tried to politely allude to - it appeared politics impacted selection rather than best team and structure - it wasn't me who referenced one of the most important aspect - playing structure and plans and the coach has ownership of that role (and possibly some of the selections) - which is the concern I tried alluding to, so appreciate your support in pointing part of it out;)

Another example, I have no intel, and there may be a very good explanation S Ala played 2nd grade at Manly and he's in the squad but were is BJ - he's had class all year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah I accept some of your points I definitely believed he tried to get a buy in from all clubs through the program he ran.

The team was formed a few weeks before hand literally the first few games when playing against some Super Rugby B teams we saw how new these guys were to playing with each other and still working out how they could beat sides with the players they had in the squad.

Sione also played 2nd grade at Gordon this year. He has been very good in some games later in the year especially Warringah at Rat Park.

I think BJ is a good footballer but not as outstanding as Manly fans claim him to be he has also played 2nd grade in the last few weeks and played 2nd grade for the majority of 2014 from memory.

I initially thought it may be Sione has the ability to play 11/14/15 and that BJ may have been injured at the time a critical decision needed to be made.

BJ is versatile as well though and I would have expected him to make this squad.

Porch can play 15/14/11, Hooper and Northam only 11/14, Davis 12/13/14, Hill 12/13/14, Woolf 11/14, Feltscheer 11/14/15 Hodge 10/12/15

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah I accept some of your points I definitely believed he tried to get a buy in from all clubs through the program he ran.

The team was formed a few weeks before hand literally the first few games when playing against some Super Rugby B teams we saw how new these guys were to playing with each other and still working out how they could beat sides with the players they had in the squad.

Sione also played 2nd grade at Gordon this year. He has been very good in some games later in the year especially Warringah at Rat Park.

I think BJ is a good footballer but not as outstanding as Manly fans claim him to be he has also played 2nd grade in the last few weeks and played 2nd grade for the majority of 2014 from memory.

I initially thought it may be Sione has the ability to play 11/14/15 and that BJ may have been injured at the time a critical decision needed to be made.

BJ is versatile as well though and I would have expected him to make this squad.

Porch can play 15/14/11, Hooper and Northam only 11/14, Davis 12/13/14, Hill 12/13/14, Woolf 11/14, Feltscheer 11/14/15 Hodge 10/12/15

Aussie - I'm on your side with rugby in general!!
BJ has been in ones all year and playing a huge role in the back line.
He busted his jaw against Parra and had a number of weeks out.
Returned in 2's against Gordon, and came off early. When he came back on in 1's the same day the function of the back line changed completely.

BJ 2013 he was switching between 10 & 15
BJ 2014 absolutely killed in in 2's and had good games in ones.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Released by Edinburgh at the end of the last season. He'd fallen back from 2nd string to 4th string, after a young lad and a converted backrower both took opportunities over the 2 international windows.

Shame. Being an Adelaide lad I was hoping he would succeed.

That being said I just watched a "Highlights Package" of him on youtube from Edinburgh and the entire clip was of him throwing lineouts......

And i'm pretty sure it was all from the one match.....

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Shame. Being an Adelaide lad I was hoping he would succeed.

That being said I just watched a "Highlights Package" of him on youtube from Edinburgh and the entire clip was of him throwing lineouts..

And i'm pretty sure it was all from the one match...
Interesting he left Manly with good form, and

He's been doing some good things since being back at Manly

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
After yesterdays performances of the Marlins and Rats you'd have to think we'll field a pretty potent back line. My squad it different to Townsends so i can select differently;)
Donlan, Lane, Northam, Hodge, Pili-Gaitau, Feltcheer, BJ

Wicks back line yesterday was filled with PR Campaign players Horwits, Beale, & Kellaway.

I am expecting a response to my team such as there are not enough players from Rats, Gordon, Norths - - - - - - my response to that now is, why have we signed Tom Hill from Eastwood ahead of the players from Gordon, and Norths? I believe there maybe a few Rats players that could challenge the above squad but being honest I don't watch them week in week out, and Manly back line was very good this year.

Further 2 that, why is BJ not in the squad, he's done a number on Waratahs squad player Kellaway 2 weeks in a row now, and has been smashing it all season.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Well after seing the squads Melbourne, ACT, Perth and soon Bris City. I hope the next three players set to be announced by the Rays will bring Super experience.

Johnno40

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree with you Intruder , the 4 sides aligned to super 15 clubs are going to be way to strong.
The Ray's have a great Shute shield side , but will struggle to go the distance with them.
One thing about the NRC it will give players a chance to test the skill againts more pro players.
Good luck to the Rays

Status
Not open for further replies.