• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

No it's not. At the time many were concerned that his impact didn't make up for his flaws.

Before the test season I was confident he would have that impact this year. Against SA it was still a bit lacking. Hopefully next week he atones for that.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
In all honesty, I think Skelton would be much better coming off the bench for the last 20-25 and just smashing opposition. I think he would be more useful that way that starting. He could be a wrecking ball. I also think he is in danger of becoming a big penalty magnet as well. What advantage he gives in terms of size he loses in the scrum and lineout.

My actual opinion. Not reverse psychology or anything like that. LIke it is over here, your coach will have spent much more time watching him and others and will have his plan. Us armchair warriors have no real idea what he is planning. Much like how Hansen dragged Codie "Who the F**K is he?" Taylor out of relative obscurity to be what looks like a good back up hooker option.

I think Brodie Retallick trumps Skelton anyway.:rolleyes:

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
It's interesting that the discussions about wingers are generally leaving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out. It would seem to me that he's the most certain to be picked in the starting XV at the moment. I really can't see Cheika leaving him out.

I think the other wingers are all fighting it out for one spot. I think Beale will be the 23 in most of our matchday 23s moving forward so realistically only one of Horne, Tomane and Speight will play each test. I'd be surprised if Speight waltzes straight into the team for the first Bledisloe. I'm also not sure we'll see much more of Mitchell. Just too many good options.
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s biggest threat is Mitchell - probably the only two wingers in the squad with quality boots. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is (vc) though so can't see him being punted unless Mitchell gets a chance through injury. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the best utility back cover we have in my opinion - more balanced skillset than KB (Kurtley Beale) for all spots other than 10.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In all honesty, I think Skelton would be much better coming off the bench for the last 20-25 and just smashing opposition. I think he would be more useful that way that starting. He could be a wrecking ball. I also think he is in danger of becoming a big penalty magnet as well. What advantage he gives in terms of size he loses in the scrum and lineout.
I think if we had anyone else at the starting international lock level that's probably how Skelton would be used. But the alternatives just aren't up to it at this stage so we have to get what we can from Skelton over 60 to 80 minutes for all his flaws.

Mumm - mayb, but plyed at 6e? Before last week I would have said no way
Douglas Not fit, and didn't have any form. Wasn't at that level when he left
Horwill. Yesterday's man. I think he could do the job from the bench and probably better at set piece but just can't get around the park for 80 minutes.
Carter - injured
Arnold. Not there yet
Jones/Fardy/Mumm etc - too small for the highest level

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Someone who has watched the Argie match closely or a replay might be able to clarify, but at the time I thought our drift defence fell apart on a number of occasions.

Sometimes it was Kuridrani, but other players defending around the 13 channel switched their defensive line and gang tackled the ball carrier instead of keeping their mark on the outside runner. Argentina didn't exploit it, but a team like the ABs will shred it to ribbons.

Did anyone else notice it? Or were my beer goggles misty?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Someone who has watched the Argie match closely or a replay might be able to clarify, but at the time I thought our drift defence fell apart on a number of occasions.
To'omua going off really messed with the defensive line they would have trained with. When he went off we had two playmakers defending on the wings in QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley, and that meant Tomane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were thrust into the centres in defense. Now AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) obviously knows what he is doing there, but I got the impression Tomane didn't really have things under control and a lot of the problems were down his side.

I don't think Kurindrani actually spends much time at 13 in defense, at first phase anyway. They have him much closer in, off lineouts at least.

QC (Quade Cooper) seemed to hang right back on his wing too, so Tomane may have felt a bit stranded out there, with a bunch of players running at him, without quite trusting the inside guys to get there and no sign of anyone outside him.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
To'omua going off really messed with the defensive line they would have trained with. When he went off we had two playmakers defending on the wings in QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley, and that meant Tomane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were thrust into the centres in defense. Now AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) obviously knows what he is doing there, but I got the impression Tomane didn't really have things under control and a lot of the problems were down his side.

QC (Quade Cooper) seemed to hang right back on his wing too, so Tomane may have felt a bit stranded out there, with a bunch of players running at him, without quite trusting the inside guys to get there and no sign of anyone outside him.

Cheers - good explanation!

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Last time Skelton played the Highlanders he was miles too slow and could not keep up.

I am not the only kiwi who is hoping Skelton gets a full 80.

I think Cheika would dearly love a hard man in the forwards, like a Brad Thorn or Brodie Retallick. Skelton may get there, but he is not there yet. Though I think he may make it if he can get his fitness and his work rate up. His tendency for cheap shots may be a problem though and will need to be cleaned up, especially at the RWC.

The AB's gameplan eliminated him from the contest. I would imagine the cheapshots are borne from frustration at not being able to get into a game. When someone finally gets close to him then he pummels the crap out of them, sometimes late.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think if we had anyone else at the starting international lock level that's probably how Skelton would be used. But the alternatives just aren't up to it at this stage so we have to get what we can from Skelton over 60 to 80 minutes for all his flaws.

Mumm - mayb, but plyed at 6e? Before last week I would have said no way
Douglas Not fit, and didn't have any form. Wasn't at that level when he left
Horwill. Yesterday's man. I think he could do the job from the bench and probably better at set piece but just can't get around the park for 80 minutes.
Carter - injured
Arnold. Not there yet
Jones/Fardy/Mumm etc - too small for the highest level

At the start of the season I would have agreed with you. But the cameos from the bench from both Horwill and Mumm were outstanding. And Skelton's had a below average game against top opposition and a solid game against average opposition.

That leaves a lot of questions to be answered:
Can Horwill have the same impact if he started?
Can Mumm have the same impact if he started?
Can Mumm have the same impact at lock (he played 6)?
Will Skelton continue to improve?

I'm not sure that continuing with Skelton as a starter is the best option. Especially if it allows us to play the "Pooper".

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the big selection issue very few people are mentioning is Moore V TPN.
Moore good on line out throwing great around the park, scrummaging not so good.
TPN great in the scrum good around the park, not so good on line out throwing.

Thank G I'm not a selector

Well, only one of them is the skipper, so I don't think there is a selection problem there.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah I agree. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s performances have been good. He's locked in.

I'd rate the remaining wingers as

Mitchell
Speight
Horne
Tomane
JOC (James O'Connor)
Cummins

But of those, you MUST have speed which AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't have in abundance- who's got the jet shoes?
Probably between Speight, Tomane, & JOC (James O'Connor), but I don't have a stop watch.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pick the best and most mobile front row. Sio, Moore, and Kepu. The form second rowers Skelton and Fardy. Yep he may not play there normally but he solves other more important issues that you blokes aren't seeing. Fardy gives away too many penalties from blindside but is both mobile, tough and skillful more in the Retallick and Whitelock mold. Palu and Higginbottom at No 8 starting Palu (is he injured?) McCalman at blindside and Hooper on the open. Pocock to cover 6 and 7 with Higginbottom to cover No 8 and 2nd row. You have enough weight in Skelton for two teams. Overall your 4&5s are too slow around the paddock. Picking Fardy at 4 fixes that and he's still running at 80 mins. That would worry me more than any of your present issues. The forwards go well the backs will have time and space.

Best and most monile front row - Sio Moore and Keps

You are kidding yourself

Slipper makes Scott Sio look like a sloth. Holmes is more mobile than keps and probably on a par at scrumtime..

I will agree with your choice of Moore:)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

My actual opinion. Not reverse psychology or anything like that. LIke it is over here, your coach will have spent much more time watching him and others and will have his plan. Us armchair warriors have no real idea what he is planning. Much like how Hansen dragged Codie "Who the F**K is he?" Taylor out of relative obscurity to be what looks like a good back up hooker option.

I think Brodie Retallick trumps Skelton anyway.:rolleyes:

On Codie though teach, he was an age grade standout. Played in that very good 2011 side that beat the big England pack in the final. He's made the most of almost all opportunities with the short time he's been with the Saders.

He's got a ways to go, but he has all the ingredients - technically sound at scrum and LO throwing, robust in contact and quick feet. I hope he goes to the WC

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm amazed that all the usual types have missed the one big possibility in this game.

The man who was left out of the initial squad, but always rumoured to be back for the Bledisloe. The bloke who has been flying under the radar for the last month. The bloke who would be tailor-made to take the suspended Michael Hooper's spot on the bench and unleash 30 minutes of the most intense, awe-inspiring rugby any man has seen.......

George.

Muthafukking.

Smith.

It's happening people. Clear your schedules for August. This one's going to take a month to get over.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm amazed that all the usual types have missed the one big possibility in this game.

The man who was left out of the initial squad, but always rumoured to be back for the Bledisloe. The bloke who has been flying under the radar for the last month. The bloke who would be tailor-made to take the suspended Michael Hooper's spot on the bench and unleash 30 minutes of the most intense, awe-inspiring rugby any man has seen...

George.

Muthafukking.

Smith.

It's happening people. Clear your schedules for August. This one's going to take a month to get over.

bring this stuff to the podcast next time, matey!

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)

The man who was left out of the initial squad, but always rumoured to be back for the Bledisloe. The bloke who has been flying under the radar for the last month. The bloke who would be tailor-made to take the suspended Michael Hooper's spot on the bench and unleash 30 minutes of the most intense, awe-inspiring rugby any man has seen...

George.

Muthafukking.

Smith.

Tell me you are just toying with us Baba........?????

I think a little bit of wee came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.