• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Grant is a good signing from an experience/mentoring perspective. How his style/physical skills translate to the Force game plan for 2016 is still to be seen.

What we can take out of the signing are the following;
  • Grant is probably a better kicker than Sias, both tactically and for points. We left way to many points out on the field in 2015 and weren't able to exert scoreboard pressure by converting chances.
  • Grant is more experienced than Sias. Hopefully a wiser head can direct the team around the park better and unlock the back line potential.
  • We aren't losing anything from a running perspective as Sias rarely ran the ball as a 10 (either by nature or coaching instruction).
  • Grant brings intangibles - experience, mentoring, coaching, he fits the Force culture (family oriented, unlikely to kick Quokkas / lift a wallet / be at Maccas at 2am)
Are/were there better options at 10 for the Force, maybe but that doesn't mean they wanted to come West. Good signing but don't stand still now Force and call this off season mission accomplished!

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
Have seen nothing of his form in France but note that when he was at the stormers Catrakilis was the preferred option. Proof will be in the pudding next season I guess on whether he can justify the marquee spot.

I would say that he is a better kicker than Sias both from the spot and in general play, but the 42K question is whether he will mix it up and attack the line. I think he's more of the same mould, but better, in terms of Foley's preferred style of play.

I hope it works out well for both Grant and the Force. Hope this signing is the catalyst to get the backline firing on all cylinders next season.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
FFS, is mediocrity now the goal over there now?
The crowd will be wives & girlfriends only by the end of next season.
What a negative signing.
Who would you propose instead? Plenty of journeymen have gone on to be very effective in Super Rugby. Tony Brown for instance. Julian Huxley. I thought we did well with David Hill back in the day. Plenty of journeymen haven't done much but with few other options- what is the alternative? If you want to have a pointless bitch, do it somewhere else.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I wouldn't swap a 26 yo kicking 10 for a 31 yo kicking 10.
But if that's all your looking for,that's all you will find.
how did that style work for you this year?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Shit house signing. We need to break the bank to attract some exciting players. The club is dying a slow death of a thousand cuts.

You can wank on about how buying players didn't work out before, but at least there was some excitement, possibility, the joy of the unknown. Doing what we are doing now may yield results in 20 years, but another 10 years like this and the club won't exist.

M

Moono75

I'm willing to give Grant the benefit of the doubt and not condemn him before he's fired a shot in anger for the Force. Do I still want us to go out and make a bold move and try and get a flashy star signing...hell yes!

Perhaps he is similar in style to Sias but lets hope with his experience he will take better options and execute more effectively. He's also a lot better in defence.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Personally I'll take Grant anyday before Sias. He never play deep, is a good defender and distributor. He is your classic 10/12 type of player. Never a kicking type of flyhalf.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Why do you call the Force a club? Thought its a franchise.

Club, team, franchise. Loosely used terms.

Obviously not an amateur club where you can join and play but there can still be memberships. Yanks started the idea over a 100 years ago and they referred to franchise clubs.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bewildering that the Force swapped Peter Grant for Zack Holmes. Bet La Rochelle are quite happy.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think we need to chill out.

For all we know the plan could be to play Burton or Lance at 10 and have grant come on just to close clutch games out.

Grant isn’t a terrible option if Godwin is at 12. Grant is an apt distributor and more likely to give Godwin good pill then Sias.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can Grant play anywhere else? What's your backline now with Kyle, Lance and Benny Taps?

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I reckon a great starting backline will be:

Mathewson
Burton
Haylett-Petty
Godwin
Tapuai
Morahan
Lance

Prior
Grant