• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I don't think batsmen will ever get reviews right. It's just so tempting to get a second chance as a batsman.

I'm a bit disappointed with Rogers advising him to review it really. He should have said he thought it was out.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yep, we gotta settle here or Clarke's going to come in under the pump.

Smith looking a little scratchy early but he will come good. Ball is seriously talking but if we can survive the first hour without another wicket we should be fine.

This pitch is going to be a nightmare for batting from day 3 onwards.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pearler from Finn blows Clarke's middle stump away.

Aus 3/34

Voges joins Warner at the crease. Do or die for Adam here.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Plenty of experience still at the wicket.

We are rattled but all will be well if we can survive the next few minutes to lunch.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Day 1 English pitches don't have too many demons once you see off the new ball.

I'd expect unless we throw our wickets away we're still looking for 300.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah really important to consolidate in the afternoon session and post a competitive total. Remember England were in a similar situation in Cardiff.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
England 3 runs behind at the end of play. Not entirely out of the game but anything over 270-280 from England and it is over.

Very poor performance from the batsmen and the bolwers guilty of trying to much. Voges will be under pressure with Marsh in form.

T

Train Without a Station

Votes needs to perform in the 2nd innings or he will be gone next test I think. Rightly so considering that in 6 innings now he has only passed 50 once.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This was the moment when we needed the Voges hype to become reality. Sadly it wasn't to be - great 1st class cricketer, but not quite up to it at test level. (Which is probably why he wasn't selected for Australia during the past 14 seasons)

Great bowling performance by England, but our batsmen should have done better than 136. We're not out of it as we have England 3 down, but we need early wickets tomorrow and England must be out by tea.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, I know we love to bat when we win a toss, but overcast conditions and a hint of green in the wicket? "No, please England, why don't you get right into the groove there and rip open the stitches on our batting order?"

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Such a strange side at the moment. On a nice flat deck we're the best in the world but any sort of swing or spin and we're stuffed.

A bit like the bad old days of the last ashes over there last night where it felt like the cluouds rolled in as soon as we walked out to bat and weather cleared up or started raining as soon as we had the ball.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Just looking up the stats because it feels like we've been getting rolled for <150 more often lately. Except for that amazing 2000s side (23 times), it doesn't seem to be the case. It's back to normality

It happens 25-35 times a decade since the 50s and we've done it 16 times so far in the 2010s (we play plenty more test matches since the 80s too).

The astonishing stat though, in the 2000s we were dismissed for <150 x 23 times, and lost the match just once!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, can't say I expected that collapse. Apart from Rogers we showed no fight whatsoever. England bowled well early but by in large our top and middle order threw away their wickets, mainly due to impatience but also inexperience. The Marsh dismissal was really disappointing.

We're still in with a chance provided we can get them out for under 280. Fingers crossed the weather god's are on our side and a few sessions are rained out because I can't see this one going anywhere near 5 days.

Good to see Lyon amongst the wickets, that indicates to me it's going to be a very hard pitch to bat last on. If we can set them a 4th innings chase of anything over 250 I'll back our bowlers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
England 7/221 at lunch. Starc really needs to bowl 6 good balls an over and exert pressure. 4 good balls and 2 loose ones just lets the pressure off.

Lyon and Johnston going well - let's knock these last three wickets over straight after lunch.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lyon getting a lot of near chances. One or two carried, or gone to hand, or just nicked the edge would have made a big difference, but you can't complain too much with the spinner getting 3 for 15ish in sessions 3 and 4.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Lyon just had one of the best spells he's ever bowled. This pitch has plenty in it still. 12 wickets already this series too.

Status
Not open for further replies.