• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Matbe the announcement of a playing comeback by RG.

he could be Captain Coach

Dismal Pillock is I believe working on a 'new life plan post-2015' for R Graham especially as he sees some 'key synergies' in that process with the work he's similarly undertaking for Sir J Kirwan (with whom he has a close affinity).

I believe Pillock's thinking in this important area could incorporate a future alliance of sorts between the Auckland Blues and the QLD Reds aimed at a joint program of mental skills development around themes such as 'learning from adversity', 'maintaining composure in low moments', 'dealing with lost performance appraisals forms', 'the spiritual basis of poor rugby skills', and such like.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
None of the 10s lost prior to this year were very successful when tried there. Lucas was the best and he still had his struggles.

Sadly, a major problem for Lucas I'm sure you'd agree was injuries.

The poor bloke would just deliver a lovely, but brief, run of performances at 10, and he'd go down for longish periods, usually leg/ankle/knee related.

He could thus never really consolidate his capabilities at 10 and build any sustained confidence in playing that position.

ADDED later: I do think Sam Lane showed touches of potential future class as a 10 in his 2012 cameos, pre a bad ACL injury (that year of the incredibly cursed Reds 10s).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Nope. I was based in Perth for a few years for work, so went to Force games so I could watch rugby as a neutral.

I supported the Reds for the better part of a decade, simply because I spent a lot of years in QLD and needed a team to hang my hat on, even though I didn't really feel a true connection and was never a paid up member. However, I'm a Melbourne boy in my soul, so I dropped the Reds the very second the Rebels entered the competition.

I wrote a front page article about this very thing last year.

I'm sure you will use this as a way of explaining some of my views, by saying I am a mercenary supporter with no true allegiance, but you would be way off the money.

Re the last sentence, calm down, and no, not at all.

Rather I remember you primarily as a Reds supporter in those past years.

T

Train Without a Station

The poor bloke would just deliver a lovely, but brief, run of performances at 10, and he'd go down for longish periods, usually leg/ankle/knee related.

He could thus never really consolidate his capabilities at 10 and build any sustained confidence in playing that position.

Yeah that and consistently not playing 10.

As harsh as it is, it was time to move past him. Consider that in 1 less season he played 25 less Reds games than Quade Cooper who has been considered injury prone. Taking away the caps Quade earned in 2007, that's still 15 less games Lucas has managed in the same period. As far as I can recall, Lucas was almost always in the team when fit.

Quade is a 50+ test Wallaby and former Super Rugby player of the year. He's probably worth persevering more with than Lucas. And many have questioned Quade's value.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I always had a lot of time for Lucas. He could cover 9-10-15 at a Super Rugby standard, and never put a foot wrong, whether that was starting or off the bench.

I rated him as one of the best tacklers for a player his size. Cut them at the shins everytime.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Agree that Lucas was a good player to have around but you have to move on. I hope that they persevere with McIntyre and Greene, and if they could get an experienced head in to help develop them that would be good. Not sure about McAlister being suited for this - a report from France seem to suggest lots of niggly injuries leading to missed games and a drop in form earlier this year. That doesn't sound like a sound recruitment target to me.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agree that Lucas was a good player to have around but you have to move on. I hope that they persevere with McIntyre and Greene, and if they could get an experienced head in to help develop them that would be good. Not sure about McAlister being suited for this - a report from France seem to suggest lots of niggly injuries leading to missed games and a drop in form earlier this year. That doesn't sound like a sound recruitment target to me.
We can't exactly afford to recruit the best of the best though can we? Ex-All black with not much form and a few injuries is probably exactly the market we're in.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Wonder if Stephen Brett would be a good pick up. I always rated him.

I had forgotten about Brett - he was good. Interestingly, an article from NZ earlier this year mentions his interest in returning to the Crusaders:
Stephen Brett would welcome the opportunity to help the Crusaders in their time of need.

The 29-year-old first five-eighth, who played 70 games for the Crusaders and Blues between 2006 and 2011, is contracted to French second division club Lyon but has the option of exercising an out-clause because they won't be promoted into the Top 14 league next season.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...nders-return-to-new-zealand-and-the-crusaders

B

Bobby Sands

Mate do you know much about AFL? Richmond are a club who took themselves to the brink due to mismanagement and undervaluing their own players yet paying overs to recruit outside players in the 80s.

They've also been in a rebuilding phase since around 2002. If they fail to finish strongly this year, Damien Hardwick will be under real pressure due to not achieving a lot in his time there.

They've also been known as specials for finishing 9th. I'm doubtful they will win a premiership in my lifetime in fact.

I can only hope we are nothing like them.

I love Richmond, they are my club. I will be at the G' on Friday with some blokes from the Territory who grew up with Cyril.

My point is - why must we be such band wagon supporters as soon as things go wrong?

It doesn't make me proud to be a Reds supporter.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

ADDED later: I do think Sam Lane showed touches of potential future class as a 10 in his 2012 cameos, pre a bad ACL injury (that year of the incredibly cursed Reds 10s).

Absoltely correct.

To me, Sam, lookd like a 10 0 shame he fucked off and got a serious injury. This kid had real potential to go all the way

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
You will all become Rebels supporters eventually. The QRU board secretly work for the VRU; it's part of our long-term conference domination strategy.

Players first, then the fans. So far, so good.

:p

Actually, speaking of which, I opened an account with Rabo the other week. Couple of days later they sent me an express package chock full of Rebels gear..

Two things spring to mind:

1. Cheeky bastards, they're trying to convert me using the off cuts from last season!
2. You mob down South better start buying up your Rebels merchandise, so they can't offload the leftovers up here.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RedsHappy (and anyone else) are you going to the ball? I know quite a few from here have gone in years past.

Used to go regularly, taking a whole table.

But I'm sadly resolved to spend not one more cent on the Reds/QRU (incl not renewing for 2016 multiple Ruby membership tickets) unless and until the QRU show that

- good sense, a fan-focussed mindset (that is not merely lip service), quality of leadership and generally sound decision-making has returned to that body, especially wrt Reds management and coaching roles.

Until that happens, I'm out.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Dismal Pillock is I believe working on a 'new life plan post-2015' for R Graham especially as he sees some 'key synergies' in that process with the work he's similarly undertaking for Sir J Kirwan (with whom he has a close affinity).

I believe Pillock's thinking in this important area could incorporate a future alliance of sorts between the Auckland Blues and the QLD Reds aimed at a joint program of mental skills development around themes such as 'learning from adversity', 'maintaining composure in low moments', 'dealing with lost performance appraisals forms', 'the spiritual basis of poor rugby skills', and such like.

Yes, surely Reds fans would be more than happy if the Reds coaching team took an in-depth and lengthy tour of the Blues Hi-Performance Centre.

Queensland-Reds-Coaching%20Staff_zpslld4r0h2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.