• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Who do shore have returning?

I think it's timely to point out that no boy can ever be said to be "returning" to the 1st VIII until he is actually selected. They are returning to rowing, sure; they were in the 1st VIII last season, yes; but every season each individual must compete with that year's cohort.

While my gut feeling tells me that it should make a difference how many of a crew have already rowed in a top crew before, I wonder if anyone on this forum has been able to examine those stats and say for sure that it's an advantage (other than psychological). I'll happily while away my days in retirement doing just that, but if we have to wait that long then it will only be ready in time for the 2033 HOTR. Maybe one of you has already poked around the results for this? Likewise the claim that the best crew at the start of the season will probably take the title at the end - gut instinct says that's probably true, but can anyone assure us that the stats back it up?

Regarding the whole cattle/coaches issue, I refer you to my lengthy rants about this on the 2015 thread. To truly excel, you need the perfect storm of coach, "cattle" and culture all present in the shed at once. I've coached a variety of sports and extra-curriculars over many years. If you have a talented group, you can push them to achieve and have a lot of success - with the right coaching method - but only if that quest is supported financially and "in spirit" by the whole school culture. I won't repeat myself any more: saving the rest for my Ph.D.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Just looking down the track a bit, I think Sydney Grammar Regatta at SIRC on the 14th of November will be the first 2km regatta in which schools will be able to compete at.

I think that time last year joeys went sub 6, in a time of 5:59.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
From NSW Rowing:

Term 4

14/11 at sirc Grammar

21/11 at sirc St Josephs

28/11 at Hen and Chicken Sydney Boys High

Term 1

6/2 Kings/PLC

13/2 NSW state champs

20/2 Sydney Rowing club regatta

27/2 Gold cup

6/3 schoolboy head of the river at sirc

12/3 HOTR

14-20/3 Nationals

Nateellis

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone know of the rumoured return of Michael Morgan to the Newington Shed, can this be confirmed ?

The famous Michael Morgan is indeed returning, perhaps the most anticipated returning since Lebron James to Cleveland, his main role is culture management and a little bit of coaching here and there with I believe Sydney Uni coach Jack Tiftis

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
From NSW Rowing:

Term 4

14/11 at sirc Grammar

21/11 at sirc St Josephs

28/11 at Hen and Chicken Sydney Boys High

Term 1

6/2 Kings/PLC

13/2 NSW state champs

20/2 Sydney Rowing club regatta

27/2 Gold cup

6/3 schoolboy head of the river at sirc

12/3 HOTR

14-20/3 Nationals

You omitted the Loreto NH regatta on Nov 7 which kicks off the whole season.It's a co-ed regatta at SIRC so the boys will indeed get a crack at 2k.

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
You omitted the Loreto NH regatta on Nov 7 which kicks off the whole season.It's a co-ed regatta at SIRC so the boys will indeed get a crack at 2k.

Very limited schools enter in the Loreto Normanhurst regatta only Newington and Joey's have in the past few years

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Recently saw a Newington VIII out on the water last weekend. Not sure if it was a scratch 1st VIII or just a mix crew getting some early km's in. Anyone else see any other crews out on the water?

Nateellis

Stan Wickham (3)
Michael Morgan is back at newington, the winning edge is back, as a proud alumni i couldnt be happier to see this, the director of rowing finally bringing what was needed back to the program. Speed on newington

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Michael Morgan is back at newington, the winning edge is back, as a proud alumni i couldnt be happier to see this, the director of rowing finally brining what was needed back to the program. Speed on newington

Hi Nateellis,
I am familiar with the Morgan Legacy that was left at Newington, and am wondering if you could inform me on what exactly he will be doing back at the shed.

Thanks,
LR

Nateellis

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Nateellis,
I am familiar with the Morgan Legacy that was left at Newington, and am wondering if you could inform me on what exactly he will be doing back at the shed.

Thanks,
LR

Hello LR, I believe he will be coaching a few times a week along side the new 1st eight coach from last year Adam Harrison, and also a general overview of the program

J

John12321

Recently saw a Newington VIII out on the water last weekend. Not sure if it was a scratch 1st VIII or just a mix crew getting some early km's in. Anyone else see any other crews out on the water?

hi just this morning i went boating on the parramatta river and down near iron cove i went past joeys training in what look liked 1st and 2nd 8 sculling squads, although this is just speculation. Riverview was also on the water but not in the same numbers. I'm just wondering has the gps ruling changed regarding summer sport training when the winter season has not yet finished ?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
hi just this morning i went boating on the parramatta river and down near iron cove i went past joeys training in what look liked 1st and 2nd 8 sculling squads, although this is just speculation. Riverview was also on the water but not in the same numbers. I'm just wondering has the gps ruling changed regarding summer sport training when the winter season has not yet finished ?

There are no "rules" about winter training for summer sport. In the past it has been wisely considered the best option for young bodies to rest from rowing and play a different sport during winter, using different muscles and having a contrasting sporting experience for a couple of months. They return to rowing fresh at the end of term 3. In recent years there has been a gradual trend towards having the shed open during winter, at a number of schools, for optional sculling and ergs. It's not a replacement for winter sport but just there if you want it. I think only about 20 - 30 % of rowers take it up. Most are too busy with other commitments.

Crew selection, on the other hand, won't happen until winter sport is finished. So whoever you saw on the river, in whatever boats, were not "crews" but simply individuals taking up an opportunity offered to everyone.

Please don't rain down anecdotes about this school or that school running winter rowing. I know all about the Shore presence at SRC during the off-season but there have always been boys who club row through winter. It's not a crime. I'm just saying I know of the informal "open shed" operating in at least 3 schools.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
There are no "rules" about winter training for summer sport. In the past it has been wisely considered the best option for young bodies to rest from rowing and play a different sport during winter, using different muscles and having a contrasting sporting experience for a couple of months. They return to rowing fresh at the end of term 3. In recent years there has been a gradual trend towards having the shed open during winter, at a number of schools, for optional sculling and ergs. It's not a replacement for winter sport but just there if you want it. I think only about 20 - 30 % of rowers take it up. Most are too busy with other commitments.

Crew selection, on the other hand, won't happen until winter sport is finished. So whoever you saw on the river, in whatever boats, were not "crews" but simply individuals taking up an opportunity offered to everyone.

Please don't rain down anecdotes about this school or that school running winter rowing. I know all about the Shore presence at SRC during the off-season but there have always been boys who club row through winter. It's not a crime. I'm just saying I know of the informal "open shed" operating in at least 3 schools.

From what I have heard around, their isn't a "rule" but rather a gentlemen's agreement for when it comes to winter rowing. Like you said it has become more common in the recent years, however a strong presence of schoolboys have been rowing out of clubs for as long as I can remember.

Personally I don't see the issue in rowing out of a school shed during the winter, as long as it doesn't interfere with their chosen winter sports. If a student has a passion in the sport, then why shouldn't he be able to pursue it all year round?

Just my 2 cents worth,

LR

J

John12321

my apologies, after checking the aagps code of conduct you are indeed correct. However the code of conduct does say "unfair or illegal tactics to gain an advantage should never be used". Due to the ambiguous nature of the statement i guess a debate could be made either way. However I agree with LR with regards to the 'gentlemen's agreement', and club rowing, boys who make the effort to go outside of school concurrently with their winter support should be commended.

Status
Not open for further replies.