• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Appendix in World Rugby regulation 17 has a pretty good starting point.

It's the "aren't I a good boy" mitigating factors and "we're doing something" deterrents that really make the penalties such a lottery.

What seems to me to be the problem (at least in the way that SANZAR operates) is that what on the face of it are similar incidents are treated differently. In some cases, offences which appear more serious have no action taken, while comparative lesser offences result in citings and suspensions.

If we can't be consistent and fair, then there is a loss of confidence in the whole system. We'd be better off doing away with video citings altogether if they aren't applied consistently across all matches.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Appendix in World Rugby regulation 17 has a pretty good starting point.

It's the "aren't I a good boy" mitigating factors and "we're doing something" deterrents that really make the penalties such a lottery.

Not really. Its the absolute inconsistency of firstly getting a citing, and then the joke a a process to come to the inconsistent result.

The above video shows the very first J. Du Plesis "slapping" incident in 2012. He got a week. For intentionally attacked the head/face with another open handed slap. Then this year in a remarkably similar incident in genesis and outcomes in game he doesn't even get a citing. HTF does that happen?

In the Messam incident I quoted above, how does he escape a suspension? He deliberately held a player in a choke hold with very considerable force a what I would think a very lengthy period of time if you were on the receiving end. Yet that doesn't attract a suspension. No amount of mitigation can erase the culpability in the action.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
He pushed him hard in the back of the neck and Sanchez lost his balance and fell and then milked it. If you're happy to red card pushes and ban them you'll be seeing games of 10vs10 with the amount of pushes that happen

Should we mention the 6-7 closed fist obvious punches by Habana on Codie Taylor?

What did Hooper do that was different to what Jannie du Plessis did to Laurie Weeks? Answer me that because that was a hard push to the head but Laurie didn't theatrically fall down.

Hooper took a swing. There is nothing grainy or even remotely questionable about it. He took a full-on swing. If you want to call that just a push then let's call boxing 'Closed hand Pushing' LOL

I don't think Habana connected with a fist during his little fit and if you think blows on the forearm are anything like the swing that Hooper took then I can't help you.

Funnily enough, Weeks was the retaliator like Hooper so copped the worst of it. JdP could have gone for a week as well and who knows, he may have if Weeks hadn't reacted.

Poor Manly though...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm with @Bullrush and @Scoey.... It was an open-handed strike. It was swung way too fast and hard to be called a push.

Everyone has been looking at the slow-mo too much. It didn't happen in slow-mo.. look at it in real time and it's certainly a strike too me.

I guess people are also influenced by Sanchez milking it. This is the thing with players who dive - when they actually do get struck it makes us not want to believe it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper took a swing. There is nothing grainy or even remotely questionable about it. He took a full-on swing. If you want to call that just a push then let's call boxing 'Closed hand Pushing' LOL

I don't think Habana connected with a fist during his little fit and if you think blows on the forearm are anything like the swing that Hooper took then I can't help you.

Funnily enough, Weeks was the retaliator like Hooper so copped the worst of it. JdP could have gone for a week as well and who knows, he may have if Weeks hadn't reacted.

Poor Manly though.

So Bullrush, the inconsistency doesn't bother you at all? If Hooper gets a week for his push, what about the issues I raised?

And Habana's flurry of punches regardless of if they were aimed at the arm is still striking if we are going to put on the pedant hats, the body part targeted is not mentioned in the relevant section, though it may count towards sentence.

While I'm on my soapbox I would also call out Habana (since we have been heaping bile on the Argentines for it) for his nearly habitual dive in the game V NZ as well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Sio - but we have worked out our second front row better than Argies and Boks second front row but any combo of starting front row isn't better than there starting front row...worry heading into RWC against England and Wales
2. Moore​
3. Kepu​
4. Simmons​
5. Skelton - cheika proved he was right to persist with him -
6 Fardy - or Mumms if not fit
7. Pocock​
8 McCalman or Palu (not sure)
9 Phipps​
10 Foley - Foley was better than Cooper - goal kicking only concern
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)​
12. To'omua - but assume will be out with concussion - so Giteau
13 Kuids​
14. Horne​
15 Folau​
Against AB's I see a 6/2 bench
16. TPN
17. Smith would prefer - give Slipper a rest -but reckon will be Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Horwill or Mumm
20. Palu or MCalman
22. Hooper
22. Giteua or if To'omua out Beale
23. Mitchell

Key thing to note - Cooper does not deserve to be in 23 on performance in last 2 games and his current form......

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What a big blow for Manly on the eve of the finals series, this has surely put their camp into disarray.

SANZAR clearly out to destroy the fabric of grass roots rugby.

What would have been the crowd figure increase at The Village Green if the Hooper Bros were playing there on Saturday?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if we'll see both Hooper and Pocock in the starting XV next weekend?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Never suggested he would cheat. I was just questioning whether he's the most suitable person to decide this case given that there's an important game next week and given that he so happens to come from NZ. But you're right, we should have faith that this won't taint the impartiality of his decision-making.

To even insinuate it is petty and childish.

The law relates to striking and it was on the very low end of striking. I didn't think he contacted with any force whatsoever. It was one of those "bad look incidents" but no damage. I thought 2 but given his clean record I'm not surprised it was reduced to 1.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What a big blow for Manly on the eve of the finals series, this has surely put their camp into disarray.

Here's a radical thought. Maybe the team involved when a player is suspended should have their allowed reserves reduced by one for the duration of the suspension. Might not find teams in Manly's position then being the patsy for the side in which the offence occurred? Ditto the Brumbies, of course in Henry Speight's case.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
IM going gangbusters for the Bro with the Fro.. Speight to get his shot on one of the wings.. His too good to not pick.. I know he hasn't shown it on the EOYT.. But his our best winger ..

Status
Not open for further replies.