• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Bloody good post

Yep great post. The reality is that as rugby is a contact sport it promotes a serious amount of emotion and passion. Just watch the boys every-time they turn up. This is where it differs from other sports. The boys are being placed into collision areas that are potentially damaging. All the narrative recently is around how much importance the school, the parents, the approach of coaches etc has on the game. There has to be a responsibility around having the best available coaching solutions so the boys while they may not be the best team will definitely know the correct/safest and most advantageous way of mastering their positions and knowledge of the game appropriate for their age. Having a capable forward coach or consultant etc has to be a priority. Scrums that do not know how to lock up, line outs where options for ball release lack initiative and collision areas where the correct body positions and recognition of correct options based around arrival time leaves us unable to turn ball over or retain it. Back to an old beef of mine backs cannot function properly when forwards struggle to develop consistent phase play. This forward pack have a massive amount of ability in my opinion they could have been the dominant pack in the comp with the right knowledge...ugh! Bring on 2016..

cranbrookrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
season 2015 is pretty much done and dusted i'll have my best crack at naming the double V for 2016

1.Wright
2.Hassan
3.Smith
4.clifton
5.Drew morris
6.?
7.O'sullivan
8.??
9.Bell
10.Jordan
11.??
12.Cornish
13.Fuller
14.Yoannidis
15.Mohi

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox 25 defeated Cranbrook 15. Three tries apiece. A dour game where a spirited
and tough Cranbrook gave it to Knox. Knox gifted a lot of possession away due to a lot of penalties

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook played awesome ... Deep into 2nd half they were 15-15.

They were probably never going to snatch the upset, but they played awesome.

Very entertaining ... Wouldn't have described the match as dour

Finnbar stenmark is going to be a massive star ... In a similar mold to last years Renton ... Think cranbrook should be a fair chance in 2016

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
You left out a lot of year 11's

1.Wright
2.Hassan
3.Smith
4.Clifton
5.Drew Morris
6.?
7.O'Sullivan
8.Small
9.Bell
10.Jordan
11.Yoanidas
12.Cornish
13.Fuller
14.Wallace
15.Mohi

I would imagine the coaches might look at some positional changes such as Jordan as a 9 with a genuine 7 as a flier and a 10 who works hard for his outsides as the first option rather than the second. Is the 10 from the 2nds coming back. Good hands, sensible kicking game and nice vision, a good 10? He might talk to the 7 once in a while and tell him where the target area is expected to be.
Excellent game today Waverley unlucky not to win just went into defensive mode for 10 minutes and ended up gifting Aloys the ball. Good game though...well done players and coaches an enjoyable watch..
Well done to the (dirty dirties) 2nds looked pretty awesome Scotty has developed a nice team ethic and spirit while encouraging a willingness to move the ball, stay alive and back up the next play. Be good to see that in the firsts next year. Drew Morris try of the day had to be 60-70 meter try and this for a second rower. He could end up at 8 after that effort. Reminded me of a certain Ian Kirkpatrick (ABs) against Lions similar run and result. Well done young man. One to go hope there are smiles all round next week.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
1.Wright
2.Hassan
3.Smith
4.Clifton
5.Drew Morris
6.?
7.O'Sullivan
8.Small
9.Bell
10.Jordan
11.Yoanidas
12.Cornish
13.Fuller
14.Wallace
15.Mohi

I would imagine the coaches might look at some positional changes such as Jordan as a 9 with a genuine 7 as a flier and a 10 who works hard for his outsides as the first option rather than the second. Is the 10 from the 2nds coming back. Good hands, sensible kicking game and nice vision, a good 10? He might talk to the 7 once in a while and tell him where the target area is expected to be.
Excellent game today Waverley unlucky not to win just went into defensive mode for 10 minutes and ended up gifting Aloys the ball. Good game though.well done players and coaches an enjoyable watch..
Well done to the (dirty dirties) 2nds looked pretty awesome Scotty has developed a nice team ethic and spirit while encouraging a willingness to move the ball, stay alive and back up the next play. Be good to see that in the firsts next year. Drew Morris try of the day had to be 60-70 meter try and this for a second rower. He could end up at 8 after that effort. Reminded me of a certain Ian Kirkpatrick (ABs) against Lions similar run and result. Well done young man. One to go hope there are smiles all round next week.

The 10 in the seconds is not coming back, however 16A's by the looks of it have a very good one. Lots of promising players in Waverley 16 A's team for the 2016 season.

Hiekka

Bob McCowan (2)
Aloys v Waverley a great game today. Very evenly matched - draw a fair result.

Players of the match:

3. Waverley No.10 ( a standout)

2. Aloys No 6

3. Aloys No. 2

S

sidelineview

1.Wright
2.Hassan
3.Smith
4.Clifton
5.Drew Morris
6.?
7.O'Sullivan
8.Small
9.Bell
10.Jordan
11.Yoanidas
12.Cornish
13.Fuller
14.Wallace
15.Mohi

Excellent game today Waverley unlucky not to win just went into defensive mode for 10 minutes and ended up gifting Aloys the ball. Good game though.well done players and coaches an enjoyable watch..

The opposition offers more challenges in the 1st XV Comp as opposed to the 2nds Comp don't you think?
Jordan may be better suited to 9 but to infer the 2nds number 10 would do a better job than him or Narayan is a bit of a stretch.

Jordan's played 10 for most of the season has done a pretty good job overall. I don't think Jordan could be accused of not playing for his outside backs throughout the season. He's never struck me as a selfish player; in fact he probably could have taken the line on more and backed himself; he's got the talent.
Narayan had a very good game last week and did some good things today including passing to his outsides. It's easier to judge the quality of a 9 or 10 when you see them behind a dominant pack of forwards and as you've pointed out the Waverley forwards have been inconsistent during the year. I thought they played much better last week and this week though.

Both teams gave up opportunities today in the second half and gifted the ball to the opposition, not just Waverley. It was an intense see-sawing contest. It's a bit simplistic to narrow it down to 'went into defensive mode for 10 minutes' as if they went into their shells and stopped trying to attack.

Waverley didn't do themselves any favours by getting off to a bad start through penalties and mistakes today. That's what cost them, but they fought back well from being down 21-3. They competed and i thought their defence was outstanding..

The 2nds and the 3rds have been playing well and their structure is impressive but against other 2nds and 3rds teams, lets not forget.

I couldn't say Waverley has been a polished outfit this year but I'm not about to put it on the coaches. Full credit to the 2 teacher/coaches for their efforts this year.

Will you be applying to coach the 1sts next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.