• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry to spoil the fluidity of this forum but I am wondering if someone could explain which teams will play in the respective two/three weeks in the SS? I intermittently follow the comp, but I'm not aware of how the draw works with finals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The semi finals are next week.

Manly vs Loser of Souths vs Uni
Eastwood vs Winner of Souths vs Uni

Souths vs Uni is tomorrow

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ It is all based on the minor premiership ladder.

In Week 1 (this weekend):
1 plays 6, 2 plays 5, 3 plays 4

In week 2 (next weekend)
Highest Ranked winner (usually 1, but could be 2, 3 or 4) plays Highest Ranked Loser (usually 4 but could be 1, 2, or 3)
2nd ranked Winner (Usually 2, but could be 3, 4 or 5) plays 3rd Ranked Winner (usually 3 but could be 4, 5 or 6).

In week 3 (Grand Final) the winners of week 2 play each other.
This "should" be 1 vs 2 from the minor premiership but in knockout footy anything could happen.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Boy that game was hard. Injuries aplenty to both the 'Wicks and MMM. Hope all players scrub up OK.
Does Lucas talk a lot to the ref because he is a 9? Or because he was captain? Or does putting both together make for an unstoppable force?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I haven't seen that referee before - I thought he did an excellent job. Best display by a young referee in SS for quite some time. Managed correctly by the powers that be he could be top class.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Qwerty51 & Hugh.

I don't really support anyone, but I don't mind the Wicks. They've shared a bit of a rugby connection with Brothers up here in Brisbane. Both were rivals of the 1980s with the club championship.

1974 Brothers d Randwick
1982 Randwick d Brothers
1983 Randwick d Brothers
1984 Brothers d Randwick
1988 Randwick d Brothers

They were of course the great battles of McLean v Ella; Moon v Campo etc.

Anyway, best of luck in the finals. I hope the Marlins win since the Wicks are out.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I reckon Marlins back line has now out played the Wick back line 2 weeks in a row now - given all the chatter about Horwitz, and Kellaway coming through he U20's I was really keen to see them play grade in more than just one game. This week way not throw in Kurtley Beale and Brogan Roods to provide more options - I'd be comfortable talking up a couple of Marlin boys to jump over them into the Tahs squad - Boom Boom.
Laney, Pili-Gaitau, and BJ were awesome today.

That was a brutal game with a few bruises.
Hope Hodgey, Treweek, and Ellis pull up all right, as well as Mark Baldwin for the Wicks.

Wicks, good year this year well done - few teams still firing.

Grass Roots Rugby on fire

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Thanks Qwerty51 & Hugh.

I don't really support anyone, but I don't mind the Wicks. They've shared a bit of a rugby connection with Brothers up here in Brisbane. Both were rivals of the 1980s with the club championship.

1974 Brothers d Randwick
1982 Randwick d Brothers
1983 Randwick d Brothers
1984 Brothers d Randwick
1988 Randwick d Brothers

They were of course the great battles of McLean v Ella; Moon v Campo etc.

Anyway, best of luck in the finals. I hope the Marlins win since the Wicks are out.
Thanks stumpy I hope the Marlins get up to

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon Marlins back line has now out played the Wick back line 2 weeks in a row now - given all the chatter about Horwitz, and Kellaway coming through he U20's I was really keen to see them play grade in more than just one game. This week way not throw in Kurtley Beale and Brogan Roods to provide more options - I'd be comfortable talking up a couple of Marlin boys to jump over them into the Tahs squad - Boom Boom.
Laney, Pili-Gaitau, and BJ were awesome today.

That was a brutal game with a few bruises.
Hope Hodgey, Treweek, and Ellis pull up all right, as well as Mark Baldwin for the Wicks.

Wicks, good year this year well done - few teams still firing.

Grass Roots Rugby on fire

Still a work-in-progress Dave, but 11 wins this year v 9 last year is an improvement and more impressive only 1 loss at Coogee (v Manly) and wins over Warringah, Eastwood, Southern and Uni ie all the other top 6 teams except Manly. I don't think we beat any of the top 6 last year.

Lots of young guys in the team (average age about 22), but I doubt we'll see much of Kellaway next year with the departures from the Waratahs.

Kurtley Beale looked like he'd never met let alone played with the rest of the team today, which of course was the case. I still maintain he was only released to play to add credibility to the claim that Michael Hooper was going to play for Manly.

Good luck for the rest of the year.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kurtley Beale looked like he'd never met let alone played with the rest of the team today, which of course was the case. I still maintain he was only released to play to add credibility to the claim that Michael Hooper was going to play for Manly.

Good luck for the rest of the year.
I was fortunate to watch the 'Wicks' warm up as they did back-line moves and then went to a full team run on the field before the game.They looked awesome. Running lines were well rehearsed, speed and good hands were evident, decoy runners everywhere, lots of moves using wingers, and Kurtley looked at home in the set up. I thought Manly would struggle against them.

It was when defence got in the way after the kickoff that things went astray.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Still a work-in-progress Dave, but 11 wins this year v 9 last year is an improvement and more impressive only 1 loss at Coogee (v Manly) and wins over Warringah, Eastwood, Southern and Uni ie all the other top 6 teams except Manly. I don't think we beat any of the top 6 last year.

I don't miss stats like that either, I know of a few people who thought Wicks were building to go all the way as the season progressed. I was paying attention all season as well.

That was a good and brutal win yesterday, our boys should be proud, but have to apply the finishing touches. No point climbing a mountain if you don't get to stake the flag at the top.

Nothing like the Sunday morning;
20150802_065447.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has anyone checked the results in 4th grade.
6 beat 1
5 beat 2.
Interesting.

Unusual set of circumstances but that is one of the joys of knockout footy. The 4th Grade minor premiership ladder was fairly tight for places 2 to 5 with a cigarette paper's thickness between teams.

One way of looking at it with a tin foil hat on is that it is a high risk, but none the less cunning, plan from the Minor Premier to take out their #1 opponent.

The Minor Premier will remain in the finals by virtue of being the Highest Ranked Loser and they play the winner of 3 vs 4 in a semi final. The other semi final is 5 vs 6.

It is Mad Monday for the runner up Minor Premier, and the loser of 3 vs 4.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
It was interesting watching the 4th grade teams warm up yesterday. Uni were out (together) about 45 minutes before kick off, all dressed identically, and their warm up was very regimented and enthusiastic. They looked like a well organised team with a common purpose. Souths straggled out like brown's cows quite a bit later in a variety of outfits and stood around passing the balls and chatting for some time before any purpose came into their work. Once they got on the field though I thought Souths dominated Uni in every aspect of the game and thoroughly deserved the win. The closeness of the score flattered Uni somewhat. I guess the message is that while preparation is undoubtedly important it's what happens on the paddock on the day that decides the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.