• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies really need to find good 12 cover for next year.............

To'omua's injury highlighted what a big loss McCabe was...........

Even Cronje was adequate cover last year in the early rounds............

Coleman has a lot of heart but is more suited to the back 3 at this level.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This comment is a little bewildering, Waratahs and Reds both extensively promote players from the local competitions.

How so bewildering? Promote?

If you have a look at the recruitment activities in the last few season it suggests that players in the Tah and Reds development streams or recruitment catchments seem to [want to] have moved to other Super Rugby franchises. If you look at the player transfers from the Tahs and Reds stream in recent history there is a significant amount of player movement away from them, particularly to the Force and Rebels.

The Reds have for the first time in about 3 yrs, made some significant signings of some of their available local [talent] juniors - this after apparently struggling to find and local talent to backfill injuries etc. The preference in regards to recruitment seemed to focus on identified named talent like Turner, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, Thompson and co above local talent.

The Tahs are in a similar position with being unable to find local talent and, even when they do, struggle to retain them. In recent time I believe that the Tahs have signed foreign imports and some league players in preference of local talent.

In recent times we can see that its been the other franchises that have plucked the local Tah (NSW) talent - Dargaville being an good example, and both Evener and Butler are two other examples.

We could also throw in to argument the departure of Pat Sio - as at the time apparently the preference and focus was the retention of a foreign marquee player who was at best a short term option (Jackpot); rather then developing local talent, this pushing players like Pat to seek other available options.

The issue that will highlight this is when we see the signing's of the Tahs and Reds for the coming season.

We will see, as the talent pool has now thinned after moving to seek opportunities elsewhere after being overlooked, that the only options are to look outside of their own thinned development streams; and from what I can understand, the logos indicating from where the Red's have signed players that were shown at the Red's ball last night included a NRL and Top14 logo.

In 2012 the Brumbies signed homebrand unknown local talent to rebuild the club, going from 3 to 11 Wallabies with in 3yrs.

I believe that the Reds and Tahs and now experiencing what known as diminishing returns.

T

TOCC

How so bewildering? Promote?

If you have a look at the recruitment activities in the last few season it suggests that players in the Tah and Reds development streams or recruitment catchments seem to [want to] have moved to other Super Rugby franchises. If you look at the player transfers from the Tahs and Reds stream in recent history there is a significant amount of player movement away from them, particularly to the Force and Rebels.

Nah.. Super Rugby playing rosters contain arounds 37 players including the WTS. Highlighting 3 players and using them as supporting evidence that a team doesn't recruit local players has obvious flaws. Reds and Waratahs have promoted plenty of local talent in the last few years, it's not just he Brumbies who recruit locally..

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry TSR but here are some stats :

Jono Lance, Sam Lousi, Isreal Folau, Brendan McKibbin,Taqele Naiyaravoro,Jacques Potgieter, Auvasa Falealii are the only players that didn't come through the Sydney club system before they played at the Waratahs.

Folau went to school in NSW, McKibbin and Lance came from QLD, Potgeiter from SA. Taqele and Lousi from League. Auvasa Falealii from NZ.

Mitchell Chapman was about 14/15 when he moved from NSW to QLD to continue his schooling he was schooled at Kings/played for Beecroft/Eastwood Juniors.

So I would say six aren't produced by the state out of the 34 on the website.

You are suggesting that the Reds shouldn't have signed JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt because they are established talent (they have also come through the QLD system), whilst an ex Wallaby and valuable performer in Turner should not be looked at?

Looking at the Force Coleman, McCalman, Tessman, Charles, Hodgson, Cowan, Walton, Mafi, Faulkner couldn't get contracts with NSW.

Whilst Alcock was let go.

This is not too say some of these guys are good enough now but at the time they couldn't force themselves into the Waratahs squad.

For the Rebels Ah - Nau, Metcher, Weeks, English, Leafa, Cummins, Inman, Stirzaker, Debreczeni, Jeffries, Reid all didn't ever get offered a NSW contract.

Crawford, Timani seeked more opportunity. Jones was offered an Academy deal straight out of school I am pretty sure but chose to take the offer of a full contract at the Force.

What are the Waratahs supposed to do have 55 contracts to take all these guys? At the moment I think Chieka has done a reasonable job in identifying some of the younger guys coming through and kept them in the program (Stewart, Dempsey, Robertson, Sandell, Phillip, Hanigan, Kellaway, Horwitz etc).

To get to the point the Waratahs promote from the state and can't keep everyone because the country has five professional teams. To a lesser extent the same exists in QLD. It is actually reasonably noteworthy each time the Reds sign a Sydney based player who hasn't played for the Waratahs in Talakai, Lukhan Tui (last few years) as it is something I am sure the Waratahs and Reds would like not to be seen doing in going to each other's recruitment streams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Stewart, Dempsey, Robertson, Sandell, Hanigan, Kellaway, and Horwitz are all players of immense talent and potential to go the whole way to the Wallabies in time. Excellent talent spotting and retention by the Tahs. Don't know anything about Phillip.

But back to the Brumbies. Intrigued by who the international No 9 might be. Surely not Cowan but can't hazard a guess otherwise. Du Preez would be a winner I think but not sure he's available.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
The Brumbies have always done a good job of giving a chance to some of the players who have not been given as much opportunity in NSW/QLD but it would be nice if they actually developed some ACT players rather than recruit from provinces that have spent the time developing the players to that stage. Going through the Brumbies squad in their website and I could only find one locally developed player, and he is a prop who is uncapped at Super Rugby level. Compare that to the Force, who despite being around a lot less time than the Brumbies and having the distinct disadvantage of distance, have managed to bring through a number of WA developed players. It's a bit like a wealthy club who signs up top senior talent but doesn't have a junior arm so never actually develops any talent itself. It could be argued that the Brumbies should be paying development transfer fees to NSW and QLD.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies have always done a good job of giving a chance to some of the players who have not been given as much opportunity in NSW/QLD but it would be nice if they actually developed some ACT players rather than recruit from provinces that have spent the time developing the players to that stage. Going through the Brumbies squad in their website and I could only find one locally developed player, and he is a prop who is uncapped at Super Rugby level. Compare that to the Force, who despite being around a lot less time than the Brumbies and having the distinct disadvantage of distance, have managed to bring through a number of WA developed players. It's a bit like a wealthy club who signs up top senior talent but doesn't have a junior arm so never actually develops any talent itself. It could be argued that the Brumbies should be paying development transfer fees to NSW and QLD.

Robbie Coleman is a local player, and Nic White played most of his club rugby (maybe all) in the JID comp before reaching the Brumbies. And Joe Tomane and Jesse Mogg honed their rugby skills here after being recruited from NRL. Coming through atm, keep an eye on Tom Staniforth, Rohan Perry and Joe Powell, all locals who will make the grade. And then over the years there have been some of the very best that Aus rugby has produced - Steve Larkham and Joe Roff to name a couple.

The very small local comp will never produce the quantity of players that Sydney/Brisbane and possibly Perth can, but the quality is certainly there, and the capability to hone marginal players from other provinces into Wallabies and Super players is there for anyone to see.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Makin, Staniforth, Powell and Coleman are all ACT born and bred I am pretty sure. This would be about the standard number of local products for the last 4 or 5 seasons wouldn't it or has this number been growing?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Joe Tomane got signed to the Storm out of school for two seasons then went to the Titans in 09 & 10 finally landing at the Brumbies in 2011 he went to Nudgee College.

Jesse Mogg was recruited by Wests in the Canberra club comp in 2010.

Nic White is a Scone boy that went to St Gregs at Campbelltown, Rohan Perry went to Alstonville HS.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nic White is from Scone, but grew up as a Brumbies supporter and played club rugby in Canberra for Wests and Queanbeyan before being picked up by the Brumbies..............

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Jesse Mogg was recruited by Wests in the Canberra club comp in 2010.

St Pat's Brisbane​
Queensland Schoolboys​
Australia A schoolboys​
UQ Colts Rugby​
North Brisbane (Queensland Premier Rugby)​
Queensland Reds A​
Brisbane Broncos (Under 20s)​

Then headed off his own bat to Canberra to trial for a place in the Brumbies academy.

Good on the Brumbies for picking him up. Like most Brumbies players though he was developed outside the ACTSNSWRU catchment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

OK, I'll nibble.........

but it would be nice if they actually developed some ACT players

They have a long history of doing this........... do I really need to rattle off a long list of players or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Going through the Brumbies squad in their website and I could only find one locally developed player, and he is a prop who is uncapped at Super Rugby level.

You're just being a lazy troll - off the top of my head there's at least 3 locally developed players currently in the Brumbies squad............. I'm not sure how you could've missed Robbie Coleman?

Compare that to the Force, who despite being around a lot less time than the Brumbies and having the distinct disadvantage of distance, have managed to bring through a number of WA developed players.

It's excellent that the introduction of the Force has seen a greater number WA developed players introduced to Super Rugby........ hopefully soon we'll see Rebels follow suit, and maybe they'll have their own Gregans and Larkhams.

Next time you want to step outside of a Reds/Qld Rugby thread to troll others you might want to try a little harder?

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I wasn't trolling, merely responding to a suggestion that NSW/QLD were not developing their own players like the Brumbies were. Coleman, who I really like, was a bad miss agreed, and Staniforth I overlooked, but Powell has nothing on his Brumbies profile about his background, and White it says made Oz Schoolboys out of a school in Western Sydney. Makin is the uncapped prop I referred to.

The Brumbies have done well in turning some fringe players into real contenders - Jarrad Butler and Blake Enever from my club Easts in Brisbane have really stepped up given the opportunities there and that is great to see. Oz rugby needs players to be given the chance to shine but let's not bag the areas that spend a lot of effort (and money) in developing them in the first place and please don't throw insults at anyone who suggests a different view to yours. I have followed the Brumbies from their inception, they used to be my 2nd team as underdogs and I have watched all their dramas and moving from being a fringe destination to being winners so they became a desired location for players who were top performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.