• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
After watching Churchie yesterday I'm going to jump on the bandwagon.

I think BBC are done, Nudgee will have an uphill battle (at what point does Calvin Pritchard step in to save the First XV?) and Toowoomba just haven't got the pieces in play this year (not that they won't next year)

Which leaves TSS and Churchie to duke it out for the Premiership.

Wagner > Day
Williams > McElroy
Kuchel > Ball
Hockings > Rudland
Whitehead ? Blyth
Henry Sharp < Tipene Mavoa
James McMillan < Angus Allen
Sam Wallis = Emry Pere
Oberholzer < Lenac
Croft > Campbell
Joel Papas > Hayden Sergeant
Jayden Su'a > Jai Whitbread
Tristan Stanghorn < Dylan Riley
Fraser Suffren ? Noah Lolesio
Jake Mason > Dowd

That's 8 positions to Churchie, five to TSS and two that will be decided when they play each other.

TSS may still be the favourites purely because Churchie have got a nightmare four-weeks to come, but I hope Churchie get it done this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
King reasonable analysis of the two teams mate but I can vouch that TSS side play as a team and that counts for main than player ratings - what's the logic behind the BBC call? They lose to TSS technically by virtue of an unlucky call then beat TGS at TGS with 7 down and they're gone???

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Guru do you have a team list from yesterday? Keen to see who played 2 - what is injury to younger Farrell who plays 2?

Young Farrell did his knee .i hear it was mucking around at basketball!!
He had operation on Tuesday
The hooker yesterday was a prop from16As.number 3 ,Foulds,throw ball in.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
King reasonable analysis of the two teams mate but I can vouch that TSS side play as a team and that counts for main than player ratings - what's the logic behind the BBC call? They lose to TSS technically by virtue of an unlucky call then beat TGS at TGS with 7 down and they're gone???

Gone because they need Nudgee, TSS and Churchie ALL to drop a game.

I can see BBC beating one of their remaining two undefeated teams, but I can't see a situation where NC + TSS + ACGS all drop a game or more.

Churchie just dispatched BSHS 39-0, one week after State High pushed Toowoomba to the wire at home. We saw Toowoomba come within 6-points of BBC one week later at the same venue.

I know it's not how it works, but if BBC were close with Toowoomba, who were close with BSHS, then BBC and BSHS are roughly on par.

Especially (!) if BBC's shallow depth is tested any more than it has been already, Churchie will be safe.

Now please don't interpret my point as Churchie will flog them, I'm *definitely* not saying Churchie will beat BBC 39-0; but I think a 12 or 13 point win is to be expected.

Churchie host Toowoomba next week in a game that could either begin to confirm my premiership predictions, or scrap them entirely.

BBC may still finish top-3, but a premiership is off the cards IMO

My ladder prediction as of Round 3

1. ACGS
= TSS
3. NC
BBC
TGS
GT
IGS
BGS
BSHS

Sorry for shitty structuring of my thoughts, I'm on my phone with one eye on the Premier Colts final #UpHeavies

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
GSP
i have not seen this boy Yanopa play. is he another one from PNG to go to BBC through the will Genia program up there ?

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
GSP
i have not seen this boy Yanopa play. is he another one from PNG to go to BBC through the will Genia program up there ?

i assume so . PNG boys being going to BBC for 50 years but a lot more organized since Will G got involved. it is a great story anyway. i was told by a teacher yesterday that his dad is a missionary way up in wilds of PNG.
the young fella obviously does not follw GPS protocol because after one of his many barnstorming runs yesterday he turned around and urged the crowd to start clapping. gee i laughed. lol
this is what GPS rugby is all about . unknown characters being the best they can be.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Gone because they need Nudgee, TSS and Churchie ALL to drop a game.

I can see BBC beating one of their remaining two undefeated teams, but I can't see a situation where NC + TSS + ACGS all drop a game or more.

Churchie just dispatched BSHS 39-0, one week after State High pushed Toowoomba to the wire at home. We saw Toowoomba come within 6-points of BBC one week later at the same venue.

I know it's not how it works, but if BBC were close with Toowoomba, who were close with BSHS, then BBC and BSHS are roughly on par.

Especially (!) if BBC's shallow depth is tested any more than it has been already, Churchie will be safe.

Now please don't interpret my point as Churchie will flog them, I'm *definitely* not saying Churchie will beat BBC 39-0; but I think a 12 or 13 point win is to be expected.

Churchie host Toowoomba next week in a game that could either begin to confirm my premiership predictions, or scrap them entirely.

BBC may still finish top-3, but a premiership is off the cards IMO

My ladder prediction as of Round 3

1. ACGS
= TSS
3. NC
BBC
TGS
GT
IGS
BGS
BSHS

Sorry for shitty structuring of my thoughts, I'm on my phone with one eye on the Premier Colts final #UpHeavies

To beat TSS you have to stop Riley and Sua appears the only one that can. Ikatu did -but got injured.TSS and ACGS had a great run with injuries . I understand they both ran their number 1 teams on yesterday. If it does become an issue i expect TSS 2 nds to be undefeated for the 4 th time in last 5 years.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
People have been writing off BBC a lot and with the injuries they've had and the heartbreaker against TSS that should have gone their way .....and a tough trip up the Range , where many had been talking them down ....they still managed to find a way.

This squad is tougher than you think and the "next man up" reality of their injury woes is proving a resilience that many would still seem to deny

BBC can draw strength from this write off and use it as a chip on the shoulder to bring even more toughness to their game

Its a big ask at Nudgee next Saturday to be sure but if they can pull it off it's game on .

The Nudgee / TSS, TSS/Churchie , Churchie / Nudgee and finally the Churchie /BBC match ups all become more interesting

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
To beat TSS you have to stop Riley and Sua appears the only one that can. Ikatu did -but got injured.TSS and ACGS had a great run with injuries . I understand they both ran their number 1 teams on yesterday. If it does become an issue i expect TSS 2 nds to be undefeated for the 4 th time in last 5 years.
I think people are putting too much focus on Riley. TSS play well as a team and they have been fortunate enough not to have too many lingering injuries. This weekend's game proved that good passing out wide can produce tries with the reserve winger (TSS 2nd's) scoring 3 tries.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the BSHS u/14 A's nearly got to 50 against Churchie as well. The problem is that the Churchie 1st 15 didn't attend the school until they got their scholarships in grade 11 or 12. You can't tell me the Quade Copper attended Churchie from these early years. For that matter, you can't tell me that his family actually paid anything for him to attend the school. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those scholarship holders actually go home after term 3 and don't even finish off at Churchie. So the other schools can build a strong junior rugby program, which given all of the scores against BSHS today, Churchie obviously don't. This won't impact on the Churchie first 15 at all.

It's always impressive how some posters know every detail of every 1st XV team, how long they've been at every school, and so forth.

As a man of more limited knowledge, my job is solely to guide and assist onto an even higher plane the experts who speak with such conviction and certainty.

Let's refine this superior insight as highlighted above with a small factual test that will hone the talent already present:

How many of the current Churchie Ist XV have been at the school for much of their senior Y7-Y12 years, and some even more? Multiple choice, there is only one correct answer:

(a) 0 (bear has told us this above)

(b) 4

(c ) 6

(d) 11

Once I have bear's and other knowledgeable posters' 'input of conviction', I will post the correct answer.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'll bite Redshappy.

I'll wager 6-7/8 forwards are home grown.

Oberholzer isn't a rep star, so not worth the recruiting cost.

Croft was an import from some nothing school in Toowoomba.

Jayden Su'a is a high profile import.

Stanghorn I'll wager arrived in year 10.

Wings aren't worth the recruitment cost, and Jake Mason might have been a two-for-one deal for Mack.

So my best guess is 4! How'd I go?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Dear Garry Owens,

If BBC have dropped a game already by round three, with Churchie and Nudgee to play, odds of a premiership are low.

I highly doubt anyone from the BBC First XV will be tossing in turning in bed tonight because a semi-anonymous comment on the internet has written them off.

Best of luck to them - my old man went to BBC, I hope they turn it around. I just can't see them coming back from the early loss.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
After watching Churchie yesterday I'm going to jump on the bandwagon.

I think BBC are done, Nudgee will have an uphill battle (at what point does Calvin Pritchard step in to save the First XV?) and Toowoomba just haven't got the pieces in play this year (not that they won't next year)

Which leaves TSS and Churchie to duke it out for the Premiership.

Wagner > Day
Williams > McElroy
Kuchel > Ball
Hockings > Rudland
Whitehead ? Blyth
Henry Sharp < Tipene Mavoa
James McMillan < Angus Allen
Sam Wallis = Emry Pere
Oberholzer < Lenac
Croft > Campbell
Joel Papas > Hayden Sergeant
Jayden Su'a > Jai Whitbread
Tristan Stanghorn < Dylan Riley
Fraser Suffren ? Noah Lolesio
Jake Mason > Dowd

That's 8 positions to Churchie, five to TSS and two that will be decided when they play each other.

TSS may still be the favourites purely because Churchie have got a nightmare four-weeks to come, but I hope Churchie get it done this year.

My dear King
You are probably right, you usually are. but could you add this to your theory: BBC with 2 stars out beat IGS by 14 . ACGS squeaked past IGS by 4?
A couple of things are clear:
1) TSS and ACGS appear to be injury free and have a great draw and a reasonable draw respectively;
2) NC and BBC have loads of injuries and have a tough draw and a shit draw respectively;

In the end I actually agree with you.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's always impressive how some posters know every detail of every 1st XV team, how long they've been at every school, and so forth.

As a man of more limited knowledge, my job is solely to guide and assist onto an even higher plane the experts who speak with such conviction and certainty.

Let's refine this superior insight as highlighted above with a small factual test that will hone the talent already present:

How many of the current Churchie Ist XV have been at the school for much of their senior Y7-Y12 years, and some even more? Multiple choice, there is only one correct answer:

(a) 0 (bear has told us this above)

(b) 4

(c ) 6

(d) 11

Once I have bear's and other knowledgeable posters' 'input of conviction', I will post the correct answer.

Oh please lets do one a bit easier.
How many of the 2014 ACGS 1st xv started in grade 11:
7;
8;or
9?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
My dear King
You are probably right, you usually are. but could you add this to your theory: BBC with 2 stars out beat IGS by 14 . ACGS squeaked past IGS by 4?
A couple of things are clear:
1) TSS and ACGS appear to be injury free and have a great draw and a reasonable draw respectively;
2) NC and BBC have loads of injuries and have a tough draw and a shit draw respectively;

In the end I actually agree with you.
They also only just beat GT by 2.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Very! good points from you two..

Ipswich are the only team I've yet to watch this year, so I'm still not sure what to expect.

Terrace played very well to go so close, but let themselves down by playing ordinarily against BGS, and worse against TSS.

So to sum up my response: Yeah nah, it's just different alright?

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
[quote="TheKing, post: 770862, member

Well one thing for sure is BBC v NC is a GF for BBC this week.

Also don't underestimate IGS they only lost by four to ACGS who seem to be amongst favouritism status and were very good against a more impressive BBC so they should not be underestimated vs TSS this weekend.

I don't expect any upsets this weekend but do expect there will be some before the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
The table is now officially split in two.

TSS, NC, BBC, ACGS are the 4 in contention.

TGS, GT, IGS, BSHS, BGS have just assumed a place in the second division.

I think all 4 still have claims and as I have said for a while, 2 or 3 teams could take the choccies in a drawn premiership.

TSS are playing well but are more than beatable. I understand in the game vs BBC - BBC were told they couldn't kick for the line in the last minute penalty - incorrect decision and the TSS 9 knocked on the ensuing penalty kick in front of the cross bar, but they called that the last play - again incorrect call - should have been a BBC scrum 5 out from the line.

NC have the depth to roll every team they still face - their best player is still upright and the Ross Fortress is strong. The burgers are , however rubbish. Stop at the Hungry Jacks on the way - do yourself a favour!

ACGS flogged State High - yes - but we all know a different team turns up each week for State High - even if the program doesn't change - been that way for many years. Never line up form if it involves the flat caps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.