• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Its the Fijian school boys record. Would say he was lighter so would not be that quick now, but he would be quickest in Oz rugby easily

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Schoolboy sprinters always put on weight when they leave school and pursue a rugby career. They bulk up and also get slower because the gym work required to let them deal with the collisions etc they will encounter in rugby, is not what they need for sprinting.

Brett Stapleton ran 10.27 in Yr 10, played in the ARC and for Oz 7s - but by the time he played Sevens he didn't look any faster than a normal Aussie 7s winger.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Schoolboy sprinters always put on weight when they leave school and pursue a rugby career. They bulk up and also get slower because the gym work required to let them deal with the collisions etc they will encounter in rugby, is not what they need for sprinting.

Brett Stapleton ran 10.27 in Yr 10, played in the ARC and for Oz 7s - but by the time he played Sevens he didn't look any faster than a normal Aussie 7s winger.

Damn that is quick for such a young age.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Got a renewal letter in the mail, Gold Membership will be $345 next year. Honestly can not remember the price this year as I went on the payment plan.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Damn that is quick for such a young age.

Damn right. To put that into perspective. Carlin Isles the man dipped 'the fastest man in Rugby' has run a best time of 10.12. Which would have been good enough to make the Olympic semi finals in London. However, Isles didn't run that time until his senior year in College. For a 16 year old to run a 10.27 that's serious jet shoes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I caught a bit of Stapleton on the World Series. I have to say in the few times he got a bit of clear air he often made those chasing look pedestrian.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Got a renewal letter in the mail, Gold Membership will be $345 next year. Honestly can not remember the price this year as I went on the payment plan.
Did your membership include an option to add a ticket for the England test?

D

daz

It should do, as the England Test at AAMI has been communicated as an "add-on" for those with reserved seat membership.

Probably similar to the way the Rebs attached the Lions game to the membership in 2013.

D

daz

I'm hoping the priority access means that we can have our regular seat, as per the BILs game.

Correct. That is my understanding. Same deal; if you don't take up the ticket, your seat will be allocated to someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Of the 29 confirmed Rebels for 2016 (Hawkins not yet confirmed by the club) 16 were named in the Rising squad today.

Thompson and Ellison are in Japan, Retallick is playing for Bay of Plenty, Hagan is playing for Leinster, Siliva is playing for one of the Sydney sides, Sefa is likely to miss the whole comp with injury and Hanson/Toby look to be missing out on allocation due to Wallaby Selection now, but not EOYT last year.

Which leaves Weeksey, Stirzaker, Inman, Crawf and Mikey in limbo. Any news on them in regards to either injury or allocation?

D

daz

Mitch had a bit of clean up surgery done, and is now looking to play overseas for a few months.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Weeks had both his ankles done about a month back. With no PAE next year I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a few months off to recover.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
He was Sydney Stars last NRC, so I'm guessing he'd play for them (if he played).

Odd to see little Red go from el Capitano to off the team. I'm guessing he will be allocated to another team.

Mikey Mike will probably play for a Queensland team.

Crawf - who knows.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Bummer for little red. Could have been a chance to build that combo with JD. Looks like Benny Meehan will get his chance to shine.

So, who would you pick as the skipper?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be staggered if Harris played in one of the QLD teams. He'd be more likely picked up by someone like the Stars.

QLD use their teams for player development. They wouldn't take on someone mid-contract with another Super Rugby team

Status
Not open for further replies.