• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Has anyone ever wanted to see what it looks like when there's so much depth at a school that not even it's own supporters can keep up with who is in the Firsts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
NC today 13; 15 and 1 out for next week.with there best moseley out as well then they are gone ..
Realdeal, Saturday at 9:03 PM Report
Yes the #1 (back) and #13 (shoulder), but the #15 will be back (just a niggle). Probably means that Saturday's #6 Ireland, back into the front row and another loose forward and centre to play up. It's starting to stretch the depth of the barrel a little. But if you saw the backline they were "floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee". So still good.
Kahala is probably a week away at this stage from a comeback.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Early predictions for this weekend, the winning margins may change if there are any injuries.
ACGS vs TGS, ACGS by 7+
NC vs BBC, NC by 10+ (2 tries) Game of the round
BSHS vs BGS, BSHS by 7
TSS vs IGS TSS by 15+

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
After watching Churchie yesterday I'm going to jump on the bandwagon.

I think BBC are done, Nudgee will have an uphill battle (at what point does Calvin Pritchard step in to save the First XV?) and Toowoomba just haven't got the pieces in play this year (not that they won't next year)

Which leaves TSS and Churchie to duke it out for the Premiership.

Wagner > Day
Williams > McElroy
Kuchel > Ball
Hockings > Rudland
Whitehead ? Blyth
Henry Sharp < Tipene Mavoa
James McMillan < Angus Allen
Sam Wallis = Emry Pere
Oberholzer < Lenac
Croft > Campbell
Joel Papas > Hayden Sergeant
Jayden Su'a > Jai Whitbread
Tristan Stanghorn < Dylan Riley
Fraser Suffren ? Noah Lolesio
Jake Mason > Dowd

TSS may still be the favourites purely because Churchie have got a nightmare four-weeks to come, but I hope Churchie get it done this year.

Ahh King, you need to watch NC, particularly from the weekend. Unfortunately they don't have Calvin (problem with his concession not cleared), however the backs looked like they were floating on air! They will surprise.

In addition, the core of NC forwards are still there; the best three forwards in terms of destructive running (Luca, Meni and Hewat) are still in the competition and still in a position to change any game. The scrums and lineouts are solid. You get the same "best defence" in the market and the backs tackle and are creative (based on the weekends game).

So at your peril King!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Duly noted. If Churchie dispatch Toowoomba then I'm putting the house on them.

If it's tight, I might hold off for a couple of weeks

Might I just add, it's not exactly tough to have a spectacular backline performance against BGS - I should know, I've been watching them for the past seven years!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Churchie will lose to NC after a tight game against TGS and lose to BBC in Rd6 that leaves TSS & NC undefeated to decide who will win the premiership in Rd6.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
"But in all honesty, Riley is as good as what everyone is saying. However TSS do have downfalls. Their tight 5 only decide to rock up at scrum time and BGS schooled them in lineouts with TSS not even winning one to my understanding. They also play there second rows on the wing. And their back 3 has not been proven."

In regards to IGS, they play the same footy everyone has seen at IGS for years. Some big big heffa's up front who will barge in all day but structurely the become isolated and try to have a dick measuring contest. Any coach who knows what will easily exploit their big pack and their lack of technical nous.

Churchie are similar to IGS just with a few more brains and some more dangerous outside backs.

The only team that has impressed me in terms of structural play and all round game is the nudge. Do not worry about depth there, they'll pull nelson akufelatu'mata out from the 12D weighing in at 140kg to fill in the backline.
Getwithme, Yesterday at 11:28 PM Report
I agree with just about everything you have said GetwithMe. I re-watched the BBC v TSS game paying particular attention to the tight 5 and back-row. I think I have figured out some of the "switch-off" I had previously mentioned.
The back row does not play as a unit. Pere played outside the outside centre which is so unusual? Was he there to defend? If he was he was too slow to do so. His input/work rate in the back row is too low compared to say Hewat, McReight and Wallis. Angus Allen had a very good game; but that said he is not as dynamic if the pack is not going forward. The #6 is thereabouts and is sometimes there and other times not.
The commitment to the ruck is not as good as say BBC, Churchie or NC. This is a tight 5 issue. The lineout was good but the scrum was so "up and down". This is either a lack of concentration and in some instances the second row "riding up". Whilst this is not all negative, they need to be switch-on for NC and Churchie because neither of these teams will leave any room for uncertainty or "potential tardiness in play".
Will watch the TGS game and give more opinion. On the positive side the #10 and #13 are very dangerous, but line speed and supporting the backs with an active back row may nullify some of their play.
Love the IGS and Churchie analogies!! So apt, but maybe a little crude, but you got my chuckle.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Duly noted. If Churchie dispatch Toowoomba then I'm putting the house on them.

If it's tight, I might hold off for a couple of weeks

Might I just add, it's not exactly tough to have a spectacular backline performance against BGS - I should know, I've been watching them for the past seven years!

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/author/nic-darveniza/
TheKing, 46 minutes ago Report
Wise man King; however if the #1 Hoopert is not playing for TGS then it makes it much harder to compare performances. He was very instrumental at NC, but has been injured since.
Understand the BGS backline comment (I just wanted them to tackle!!) but NC made them look even more pedestrian then even you can imagine!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
NC @ BGS is tonight's main course unfortunately. Not looking forward to it.

Saving BBC @ TGS for dessert!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sage #1429 "Will watch the TGS game " I think you meant the GT game Sage and a very good description of the 2nd rd game between BBC and TSS. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the rd 3 GT game. Any team playing a good forward pack like NC will need to have every man and his dog (especially the loose fwd's) at the breakdown or they will either loose the ball or meters and will walk off after the game with their heads hanging.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
But that's what you first said.

And now the goal posts of your critique have shifted to 'being at Churchie since Y7', that is the new 'acceptable homegrown threshold'.

The hard fact of the matter is that the majority of QLD GPS schools offer rugby and multiple other sports and academic scholarships.

Spitting on one - any - GPS school with wild and grossly inaccurate statements re their level of sports scholarships lacks rigour and maturity and gradually turns these otherwise excellent GAGR threads into a toxic, downward-spiralling amalgam of sour grapes and petty hate. (Just as does judging a school's whole junior program on one year's 'A' team results. To make that assessment you would need to carefully trend analyse say 3-5 years of results, both absolutely and comparatively. Once that analysis is done, let's talk some more.)

Worse, it lacks generosity to the many fine young rugby players that have been right through a school's junior program and who do great work in the Opens.

Finally, I can say that I am very proud of Churchie's scholarship boys in terms of their contribution to the school overall; their general conduct is excellent inside and outside rugby and they make good contributions to the school not only in rugby, they very clearly appreciate being in the school and I would guess this is just as true of scholarship boys in most if not all other GPS schools.
You should read over that post you just wrote. That is intense!! I am really glad that you are happy with the contribution the scholarship boys are having. It would be a waste of a rugby scholarship if you weren't.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Is anyone able to confirm a site publishing weekly results promptly? Foxsportspulse started off well updating promptly but nothing from the weekend

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
And so by your logic BAG ....anything more than 50 would constitute an immoral defeat ?

So GO where are we at here, am I right in suggesting you consider BBC to be a considerably better team than GT in 13a's??

We both agree BSHS and IGS are miles ahead, my pick is BSHS to beat IGS in a close one (around 19-12).

I also think GT will run third with losses to the above mentioned and wins over the rest - BBC ACGS being their toughest opponents, they have already accounted for ACGS and will meet BBC without having to match up against BSHS and with BBC coming off back to back games against BSHS and ACGS.

Ambitious?? No - confident yes!!

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
If Ikatu and Simpson are not back then I cannot see BBC beating NC. ImO Ikatu and Sua are the 2 best backline defenders in the comp.
BBC looked soft in centres without Ikatu'' s defence on Sat and TGS 12 made lots of ground. In both state and Nationals Ikatu' s defence was brutal ( hence his selection in Aussie A). Even if they are back Simpson will be short of a run as he will not have played a match and that still leaves 4 out.

tooms

Chris McKivat (8)
Is anyone able to confirm a site publishing weekly results promptly? Foxsportspulse started off well updating promptly but nothing from the weekend

That site is it, it's usually up Saturday evening. They have a new section for this year however, brand new webpage! Maybe that's it?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
If you follow Rob Matthews (@DoubleTakeQLD) and I (@NicDarveniza) on Twitter at least one of us - if not both -generally has results up within 10 of full time.

We feed our results to GPS Rugby News on Facebook, so they are also pretty good with getting scores up.

Or you could go the old fashioned way and spam-refresh Green and Gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.