• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Did you change the title of that article, because it's different to the one I read on the Australian earlier today?
Also, you're going to get the forum in trouble if you continue to post full articles from news websites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

According to French news the Quade matter is currently In the hands of French lawyers, Toulon are demanding compensation if Quade doesn't turn up at Toulon to the sum of the total of his two year salary.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What about the HC saga? Time will tell there as well. There are a few more twists and turns to go with this before it has run its course.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
More than this, over two seasons we've managed to lose almost the entire 2011 premiership team. We have yet to bottom out, that's my biggest concern.

T

Train Without a Station

According to French news the Quade matter is currently In the hands of French lawyers, Toulon are demanding compensation if Quade doesn't turn up at Toulon to the sum of the total of his two year salary.

They can demand all they want but they'll have a tough time proving any actual damages suffered.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Did you change the title of that article, because it's different to the one I read on the Australian earlier today?
Also, you're going to get the forum in trouble if you continue to post full articles from news websites.

Your issue with the title you refer to is straight forward in its explanation, and I'm surprised you had to ask: For its 'headlines and short summaries' Rugby section The Australian often lists article titles that differ from those that are used when one actually clicks through to the article of interest, and such was the case here. I cut and pasted precisely from all aspects of the full article, including the title to the full article.

Re 'getting the forum into trouble'. Of course I have no desire to do that. What dark fate do you surmise is about to fall upon us? Threats from News Corp? If they're as smart as I know them to be they'll quickly realise that these rare quoting cases are likely to do way more to attract consistent, and perhaps new, rugby readers to their outlets than take away from their subscription income. They need to have their writers publicised if they're to have more people want to read them.

T

TOCC

Your issue with the title you refer to is straight forward in its explanation, and I'm surprised you had to ask: For its 'headlines and short summaries' Rugby section The Australian often lists article titles that differ from those that are used when one actually clicks through to the article of interest, and such was the case here. I cut and pasted precisely from all aspects of the full article, including the title to the full article.

Re 'getting the forum into trouble'. Of course I have no desire to do that. What dark fate do you surmise is about to fall upon us? Threats from News Corp? If they're as smart as I know them to be they'll quickly realise that these rare quoting cases are likely to do way more to attract consistent, and perhaps new, rugby readers to their outlets than take away from their subscription income. They need to have their writers publicised if they're to have more people want to read them.

RH it was a simple question as i didn't remember that headline from when I read it earlier in the day.

Also if you have issues with my comment about not posting full articles then brush up on the rules of this forum, they are pretty straight forward and there for a reason...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They can demand all they want but they'll have a tough time proving any actual damages suffered.

TWAS I pretty much agree with your assessments on this issue. However zit strikes me that we are based on Australian law. Yes legal basics cross sovereign borders and these days things are more about the quality of the legal argument.

This contract though would be in French law? Does this change things? It's a civil law system rather than common law, does this change anything? enforcement in Australia would be interesting.

Or does the IRU cover this?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thank you for putting up that article, RH. Not all (very few?) of us here on G&GR can read pieces in The Australian, and even if we could via a link the article may be taken down after a few days. Putting it up here ensures it stays here. Yes, the News crew would be happy have their rugby writers quoted on sites like ours.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
More than this, over two seasons we've managed to lose almost the entire 2011 premiership team. We have yet to bottom out, that's my biggest concern.

The thing is, ever since 2011 a large portion of that 2011 team has failed to recapture their form. You could probably count on one hand the members that continued to play at the same level for the following season or two.

More importantly, going into the 2016 season, we'll be approaching the 5 year mark since then. So even with natural attrition, you'd be hard press to find any team that resembles a team they had half a decade ago.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
St.George Reds team to play Crusaders

1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Beau Robinson
8. Radike Samo
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Anthony Fainga'a
14. Rod Davies
15. Jono Lance

16. James Hanson
17. Guy Shepherdson
18. Adam Wallace-Harrison
19. Jake Schatz
20. Liam Gill
21. Ian Prior
22. Will Chambers

By my count 9 of the 23 still here (though may end up being 7). That's only 3 changes a year. Doesn't seem unusually dramatic

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thank you for putting up that article, RH. Not all (very few?) of us here on G&GR can read pieces in The Australian, and even if we could via a link the article may be taken down after a few days. Putting it up here ensures it stays here. Yes, the News crew would be happy have their rugby writers quoted on sites like ours.

regardless, TOCC is right.

Read the forum rules as set out by Lord Gagger himself.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thank you for putting up that article, RH. Not all (very few?) of us here on G&GR can read pieces in The Australian

Fair point.

A few things can help with it. If the exact heading of the article is posted (as RH did in this case), then web searching on that text tends to allow access to the piece.

Less-relevant excerpts can then be snipped out of the post to keep the forum rules happy.

(There are options for handling web rot also but that's another discussion)

T

TOCC

Is it more beneficial for GAGR to have whole articles copied and pasted onto other websites with no hyperlink? Sure it might give the writer exposure but in terms of advertising and hits on GAGR it provides little benefit..

Anyway this is going a little off topic...

Are the NRC Squads out today?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
regardless, TOCC is right.

Read the forum rules as set out by Lord Gagger himself.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

Then the noble citizenry of GAGR might need a plea to its erstwhile lawmakers on this issue in that:

The Daily GAGR Rugby News email is a nicely edited montage that purely provides a varied text summary of other publications' rugby stories and then links directly to them. Many different publications are quoted, including Fairfax, News Corp, international sports and rugby sites, etc.

How does my full quote of a News Corp article - with full recognition of the publication and author - essentially differ from the above practice? Is the pay wall the issue?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Thanks L. It was such a peach of an article, I could not resist the urge to share it in full with my good fellow posters here.

Editing it down, in this case, would have culled so many amusing - or depressing - bits out that were germane to the whole.

It's not often Aus rugby entertains us as though a replica of a Hollywood B movie, but the contents of this compelling piece came close. Perhaps our QRU has inadvertently discovered a productive new role for itself outside the strict confines of sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.