• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
I noticed that there was no mention of Diamond in the weekends game. Was he injured? I'm an aloys supporter and didn't hear anything about it

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
On the weekend a great game was the 2nds Knox vs Cranbrook both sides had great defence and great set play from both sides. Knox was very lucky to get away with the win, Knox's number 9 played sharp and made an excellent cover tackle. I also thought the number 3 and 4or5 ( red headgear) played spectacular and could have their eyes set on 1st's next year if not in year 12. Cranbrook's 10 had great footwork and connection with other backs. Overall great team play from both sides. Looking forward to the last game of CAS this weekend.

Regarding the 2nds - which team is leading or has won the comp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

I noticed that there was no mention of Diamond in the weekends game. Was he injured? I'm an aloys supporter and didn't hear anything about it

No Diamond for Alos. No Justin Cooper or Jackson Mohi for the Waves

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Dour as in a tight arm struggle. It was a good game to watch, with some nice tries.
It took them a while this year, but the Cranbrook team showed a fair bit of ability. Looking on the previous last 4 rounds, they, with Knox were the form side of the comp and deservedly so. And they have depth, their 2nd looked good. Some of their players there wouldn't be out of place in the 1sts. I would rate their forward pack in at least the top three of the CAS.

The Cranbrook 7 looked good and their captain deserves a place in a CAS 1sts team. The Knox 7 was one of the better players, making some good runs and winning some crucial turnovers (and probably should have won more but for the vagaries of the referee..).

I have only watched Knox on 3 occasions this year the first being their victory in round 1 over the Waves. On that occasion they controlled the ball and didnt seem to kick it away seemlessly as what i have seen against Aloys and last saturday against Cranbrook. The defensive workrate of the tight five in the last 2 games is to be applauded however just can't seem to understand why Knox continue to kick the ball back to the opposition particularly with the talent which i witnessed with ball in hand against the Waves?
On a side note Sonny Bill - i agree with your remarks about the cranbrook 10 , was more impressive in defence and attack than his opposite. Look forward to seeing him in action next season.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
I have only watched Knox on 3 occasions this year the first being their victory in round 1 over the Waves. On that occasion they controlled the ball and didnt seem to kick it away seemlessly as what i have seen against Aloys and last saturday against Cranbrook. The defensive workrate of the tight five in the last 2 games is to be applauded however just can't seem to understand why Knox continue to kick the ball back to the opposition particularly with the talent which i witnessed with ball in hand against the Waves?
On a side note Sonny Bill - i agree with your remarks about the cranbrook 10 , was more impressive in defence and attack than his opposite. Look forward to seeing him in action next season.

I have been watching Knox rugby for 43 years (not continuously - I have meal breaks and the occasional shower) and their performance V Waverley at Queens Park was the best performance I have seen.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have been watching Knox rugby for 43 years (not continuously - I have meal breaks and the occasional shower) and their performance V Waverley at Queens Park was the best performance I have seen.

Thanks Kilgore (i am glad you had the occasional shower in that time too)....as you are familiar with Knox was the young lad who scored the last try on the weekend (14) the same one who played at 10 against Waverly at Death Valley, they looked very much alike.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry can't help you with that one - I couldn't get to that game but I think the lad who has played 10 for the majority of the season who despite his size is still only in year 10 wasn't playing 10 v Waverley in round one - I could be wrong ( have already been wrong three times this year and it's only August)

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Kilgore (i am glad you had the occasional shower in that time too)..as you are familiar with Knox was the young lad who scored the last try on the weekend (14) the same one who played at 10 against Waverly at Death Valley, they looked very much alike.

Not entirely certain but probably was: Stocks did start the season at 10, but after the injury to Armstrong early on in the season he moved to the centres. With Armstrong back he has gone to the wing.

big mamma

Frank Row (1)
Diamond had his jaw fractured in a late hit, early on in the game against Knox. He played out the game - god knows how. Aloys also had big second rower Nowlan out against Waverley with a concussion

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Diamond had his jaw fractured in a late hit, early on in the game against Knox. He played out the game - god knows how. Aloys also had big second rower Nowlan out against Waverley with a concussion
Waverley had 2 CAS reps out against Alo's as well in Cooper (concussion) and Mohi (injured?). I would hate to think you use injuries as an excuse for not winning the game. Every team has been hit hard by injuries. Look how Cranbrook is going with Hill back. Look how Trinity has gone with their injuries. Knox lost Armsteong for a while and lost a lot of their potency. Every team has been affected.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not entirely certain but probably was: Stocks did start the season at 10, but after the injury to Armstrong early on in the season he moved to the centres. With Armstrong back he has gone to the wing.
If that is the young lad a real talent at 10 from the game I saw
Seems to be a waste of talent on the wing .

Open Side

Bob McCowan (2)
Jason McDonald is the Yr 12 boy who plays 10 in Waverley's 2nd XV.
Agreed on form he deserved a run in 2015 1st XV.
I believe Jordan is best suited to 9 and I reckon he'd represent at higher honours if given specific Half Back coaching. I'd like to see him and a few others in a 7's program over the Summer period.
Can't agree with the comment that Maloney is a proven Coach... Really ?
Results of teams he's been involved with over last few years do not support that claim.

S

sidelineview

Jason McDonald is the Yr 12 boy who plays 10 in Waverley's 2nd XV.
Agreed on form he deserved a run in 2015 1st XV.
I believe Jordan is best suited to 9 and I reckon he'd represent at higher honours if given specific Half Back coaching. I'd like to see him and a few others in a 7's program over the Summer period.
Can't agree with the comment that Maloney is a proven Coach. Really ?
Results of teams he's been involved with over last few years do not support that claim.

Maybe Jason MacDonald's slight build has gone against him, I'm not sure, but he is very skillful. But who do you drop? Jordan was doing pretty good in the job and made CAS 2nds. Narayan has done well in the last couple of games at 10 so a tough call for the coaches. In another season McDonald may have been called up but Waverly have had a lot of talent in their backline this year.

Both Narayan and Jordan can play fullback, wing, fly half and scrum half. They're a talented pair for the 2nds fly half to be behind. Let's see if he gets a run this week; it would be a nice finish for him.

I agree Jordan would probably reach higher honours at 9. He played 9 for the CAS U16s that won the Schoolboys Championship a couple of years ago. He shared game time with Butler from Knox and they both got good reports but Jordan ended up getting more game time in the Final when they upset favourites GPS.

A proven coach in general I meant, not specifically in rugby. Maloney co-coached the Waverley 1st XI cricket team to a premiership last season. He did well to help turn the Waverley 1st XV's season around last season. He's a hard worker and a good motivator. One of the better teacher/coaches IMHO.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gee that is a shame re diamond ... Don't know how he didn't get a look in on higher rep honours.

Anyone know why selectors overlooked him?

If he is still out, my money would be on cranbrook , despite aloys being far from a 1 man team

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
Gee that is a shame re diamond . Don't know how he didn't get a look in on higher rep honours.

Anyone know why selectors overlooked him?

If he is still out, my money would be on cranbrook , despite aloys being far from a 1 man team
I only saw the game vs GPS and from that game no matter how much better he might of been he never touched the ball so can't really get selected.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
My 2 cents on this week's games.

Aloys vs Cranbrook

Aloys at home are always hard, but it has been a long season for them and I think injuries are hitting them hard. On the other hand Cranbrook has found form are over their injury concerns. That said they are backing up after a torrid encounter with Knox. It will be a battle between the forwards of Cranbrrok and the backs of Aloys, however I am not sure whether the superiority of Aloy's backs is enough to mask their relative weakness in the forwards. Cranbrook will want to kick their goals, but I think they should edge Aloys. Their depth could be telling.

Trinity hosts Waverley and will be looking to reverse their first encounter. at home I think they will. Trinity will play it through their forwards and try to keep possession and gain territory. Waverley's habit of playing unstructured and open rugby will unsettle Trinity a bit, but I think in this game structure will win over flair. I think Waverley has got some injury issues which will offset their better depth, but at home I think Trinity should prevail.

Barker vs Knox.
At home, one should invariably pick Barker. But this is a professional Knox side with considerable power and ability. Barker skipped away to a 10 nil lead in the first game and their scrum more than matched Knox, but I don't think they have the side to defeat Knox over the full 80 minutes. But Barker will threaten and Knox shouldn't be certain of victory. I think one of the strengths of this Knox side is their mental outlook: it was a side with a desire to win, and I think the prospect of an unbeaten season will motivate them. Knox should win.

nickoz

Frank Row (1)
The last week of the season brings the traditional double header for aloysius, with first soccer playing before first footy. Look out for a fiery aloys team looking to farewell the predominantly year 12 team in front of a big crowd. And with second place locked up, look to aloys to be creative and chance their hand. Thus I back the aloys team over cranbrook albeit in a close one over a cranbrook team finding late season form.

What will also be interesting to note will be the 2nds game with the game ending up in a tie in round 1. In what's uncharastic for an aloys team, look for pick and drives and tactical kicking to win them the game. Inspirational story in the 2nds as well with kiwi fullback Brennan, a younger year rep player to be returning from successive knee injuries, to play a final game for his school. With the former blues academy player sett to play fullback, cranbrook would be unwise to kick to him. Always sad to hear about promising carrers halted to injury. Thus with their inspirational fullback and dominant tackling forward pack, I pick aloys in an emotional game.

Good luck to all players particularly year 12s enjoy your last game of schoolboy footy

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
My 2 cents on this week's games.

Aloys vs Cranbrook

Aloys at home are always hard, but it has been a long season for them and I think injuries are hitting them hard. On the other hand Cranbrook has found form are over their injury concerns. That said they are backing up after a torrid encounter with Knox. It will be a battle between the forwards of Cranbrrok and the backs of Aloys, however I am not sure whether the superiority of Aloy's backs is enough to mask their relative weakness in the forwards. Cranbrook will want to kick their goals, but I think they should edge Aloys. Their depth could be telling.

Trinity hosts Waverley and will be looking to reverse their first encounter. at home I think they will. Trinity will play it through their forwards and try to keep possession and gain territory. Waverley's habit of playing unstructured and open rugby will unsettle Trinity a bit, but I think in this game structure will win over flair. I think Waverley has got some injury issues which will offset their better depth, but at home I think Trinity should prevail.

Barker vs Knox.
At home, one should invariably pick Barker. But this is a professional Knox side with considerable power and ability. Barker skipped away to a 10 nil lead in the first game and their scrum more than matched Knox, but I don't think they have the side to defeat Knox over the full 80 minutes. But Barker will threaten and Knox shouldn't be certain of victory. I think one of the strengths of this Knox side is their mental outlook: it was a side with a desire to win, and I think the prospect of an unbeaten season will motivate them. Knox should win.
For Waverly, Cooper still out I assume with concussion? Mohi still out injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.