• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
True, what about the rest of the Eastwood players, severely lacking.

I think the Rams will struggle this year without Volavola, Mafi, Sio, Naiyaravoro and McKenzie. Lost all their power.

Yeah trying to work out why we got stuck with Hill, when we have the form 12 in the Shute with Reece Hodge, and BJ is now at the Rams when he should be the starting 15 at the Rays.

Interesting???

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah trying to work out why we got stuck with Hill, when we have the form 12 in the Shute with Reece Hodge, and BJ is now at the Rams when he should be the starting 15 at the Rays.

Interesting???
Good to see BJ Hartman get a gig somewhere in the NRC. The guy can play.

Dave, I think you'd probably agree Hill is a pretty reasonable centre and I think you'd probably reflect that "got stuck with" is an unfortunate choice of words even though I agree Reece Hodge appears to have a huge amount of upside.The Tahs may regret letting Hodge slip through their fingers.

Very happy to see Kaleb Rech get selected. He is a fine halfback who will prosper at the higher level. I'd like to see him run a little more often but the other parts of his game are rock solid. Olmstead has, IMO, been Parra's best import for many years and has been rewarded with international selection for Canada. He is a hard working, hard nosed forward, although his mother would prefer he visited a barber. Parra's other selection Larry Hermens is one who might surprise as he has an innate ability to create things.

All in all, as others have pointed out, the Rams have lost a few strike weapons but the squad as named isn't too shabby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Good to see BJ Hartman get a gig somewhere in the NRC. The guy can play.

Dave, I think you'd probably agree Hill is a pretty reasonable centre and I think you'd probably reflect that "got stuck with" is an unfortunate choice of words even though I agree Reece Hodge appears to have a huge amount of upside.The Tahs may regret letting Hodge slip through their fingers.

Very happy to see Kaleb Rech get selected. He is a fine halfback who will prosper at the higher level. I'd like to see him run a little more often but the other parts of his game are rock solid. Olmstead has, IMO, been Parra's best import for many years and has been rewarded with international selection for Canada. He is a hard working, hard nosed forward, although his mother would prefer he visited a barber. Parra's other selection Larry Hermens is one who might surprise as he has an innate ability to create things.

All in all, as others have pointed out, the Rams have lost a few strike weapons but the squad as named isn't too shabby.

Yes I agree that Hill is a good centre, there are quite a few good centre's a few beaches up as well - the Rats 12 / 13 are pretty dangerous. Would have loved keeping the mantra of selecting from the local teams, plus Super players being appropriately placed.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes I agree that Hill is a good centre, there are quite a few good centres a few beaches up as well - the Rats 12 / 13 are pretty dangerous. Would have loved keeping the mantra of selecting from the local teams, plus Super players being appropriately placed.
Yes, that is is true. I actually think there should be, as far as possible, a bias towards locally based selections. That the Rays have chosen to overlook some locals for "an import" is interesting as you say. Player rosters and contractual arrangements amongst the franchises have the potential to cause much angst SS club fans (some would say "so what?"). It's a brave new world, and there are many potential risks in store, just as there are obvious benefits to be gained. The balance between these is the key.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No Ben Alexander? Haven't seen the Vikings' squad announced yet. Could be there this year I'm guessing.

Where's Saifoloi been playing this year? Haven't seen him in the SS games I've watched on tv. Good player imo and will replace Vola Vola quite adequately.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think I have seen mention of Saifoloi playing in NZ (Tasman/Nelson).

When Ben Vol au Vent announced he was leaving for Crusaders, I suspect a phone call to NZ may have been made about a possible vacancy at 10 for the Rams.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
True, what about the rest of the Eastwood players, severely lacking.

I think the Rams will struggle this year without Volavola, Mafi, Sio, Naiyaravoro and McKenzie. Lost all their power.

Perhaps they can nab Adam Coleman. That would make up for some lost physicality.

Bring Back The Ruck

Herbert Moran (7)
Alexander is in the Canberra squad after all!

Physicality in the forwards wont be a problem
potential pack has a lot of hard-hitters:
Robinson
Roach
Orr
Olmstead
Tufui
Meafua
Hayes
Holloway
If Big T gets out of Glasgow gig, he will be at Rams, a big IF though...

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Bit disappointing that big T won't be at Rams.. I can understand on long term players or pre arranged deals but surely all Super Rugby/ARU contracts shouldn't be finished up until at least after the NRC (last year may have come a tad quickly but this is 2nd year now).

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
We are very excited to announce and introduce you to your PCS RAMS team for the 2015 season.
Under the guidance of our new Franchise Coach Jim Williams, we have focused on selecting a team that is all about supporting rugby in the RAMS catchment, with the majority of our players coming from Southern Districts, West Harbour, Parramatta and Eastwood.

Our list does come in a little under the expected squad of 33, and that is because there are several contracts still being negotiated. When more information is available we will come back to you.

In the meantime though, if you know some of these players then reach out and give them a pat on the back, as to be selected for an NRC team is a fantastic achievement. If history is any guide, there is also the very real chance that a number of them could very well be playing for a Super Rugby franchise next year as a result of their involvement with the PCS RAMS.

Over the coming days we will send you some information on memberships and ticketing, and of course if you want to get kitted out in the PCS RAMS colours then you can do so at our shop - http://ramsrugby.com.au/shop/

The team includes the following:
Benn Robinson Eastwood
Cameron Orr West Harbour
Jed Gillespie Eastwood
Cameron Betham Southern Districts
Samuel Needs Eastwood
Matt Gibbon Southern Districts
Hugh Roach Eastwood
Siliva Siliva Brumbies
Evan Olmstead Parramatta
Filimore Tufui Southern Districts
Jed Holloway Southern Districts
Kelly Meafua West Harbour
Marcus Carbone Southern Districts
Jonathan Hayes Southern Districts
Cohen Masson West Harbour
Kaleb Rech Parramatta
Dewet Roos Southern Districts
Jai Ayoub Eastwood
Rohan Saifoloi Southern Districts
Paul Asquith Southern Districts
Denny Godinet Southern Districts
Michael McDougall Eastwood
Jordan Heyer Norths
Henry Seavula West Harbour
Larry Hermens Parramatta
Brenden Hartmann Manly
Brad Curtis Eastwood
Afa Pakalani Southern Districts
The Greater Sydney Rams

The forward pack will struggle during the NRC. No genuine THP, Locks no depth at all and not much on the backrow despite Holloway. They will definately miss Barry, Perrett and Alcock. Might see Roach move to 7 which will be bad news for NSW Waratahs fans.

A lot of firepower lost with McKenzie, T, Volavola and Vasa all leaving big shoes to fill in 2016.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
The forward pack will struggle during the NRC. No genuine THP, Locks no depth at all and not much on the backrow despite Holloway. They will definately miss Barry, Perrett and Alcock. Might see Roach move to 7 which will be bad news for NSW Waratahs fans.

A lot of fire-power lost with McKenzie, T, Volavola and Vasa all leaving big shoes to fill in 2016.

When are the extra players being announced and when does the side for Saturday get announced? The powers to be don't allow a lot of time between Shute Shield and this to get it together.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it was pretty similar (at least up here in QLD) last year with only a couple of weeks between the GF and the NRC.

This year the QRU moved the dates around to make the club season finished earlier, to give a strong lead in to the NRC.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
By powers to be, you mean the NSWRU right?

Correct. Starting the Comp straight after the Shute Shield ends leaves teams and players involved with grand finals at a disadvantage. By way of comparison - heard that the Eagles were in a camp in Newcastle last week which is a better lead in than the poor old Rams will get.

Bring Back The Ruck

Herbert Moran (7)
All players in training this week, everyone apart from Woods contingent were last week.

Not sure what is the latest squad everyone has but some players at training last week were:

Tayler Adams
Brad Kapa
Barnaby Abdale-Weir
Max Holland

T

TOCC

it was pretty similar (at least up here in QLD) last year with only a couple of weeks between the GF and the NRC.

This year the QRU moved the dates around to make the club season finished earlier, to give a strong lead in to the NRC.

Shute Shield should move dates 1 week earlier in 2016, it's beneficial for everyone involved to do so, maybe they are worried that finishing earlier will deny them access to super rugby players at the back end of the season.

Also, isn't the Shute Shield governed by a body seperate from the NSWRU? I can't keep track of the multiple layers of bureaucracy in NSW Rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk