• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
The Waratah's also greatly suffered for their lack of a left-footed kicking option. Are there any in the Wallabies squad? I genuinely don't know.

But I agree about the AB kicking tactics. A.Smith was of course involved in that Highlanders match, so can definitely deliver. Carter is a better overall kicker than Sopoaga, but I can't recall what his short kicking game is like. Regardless, I'm sure he can do a decent enough job. B.Smith doesn't have Dagg's siege gun boot, but can still belt it a fair way. Conditions being equal, he and Carter should win most of the kicking duels.

Wallabies have been working on their physicality. This seems fair enough but for what purpose. Is the idea to play more like the Springboks? Is it to give the players the sense that they should be able to physically keep up with the AB's? We need to play smart and physical with a smart gameplan. Last week's lateral gameplan looked nice but would get shut down by the AB's pretty easily. Go forward first.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Highlanders game was predicated on their opposition not being able to win their own line outs. I won't be impressed if the WBs suffer that issue.

Mitchell is left footed, but it's not the only way to counter. Get QC (Quade Cooper) defending that side out wide and let a long pass to a kicker in better position solve it.

All things being equal this should be a very different game.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Wallabies have been working on their physicality. This seems fair enough but for what purpose. Is the idea to play more like the Springboks? Is it to give the players the sense that they should be able to physically keep up with the AB's? We need to play smart and physical with a smart gameplan. Last week's lateral gameplan looked nice but would get shut down by the AB's pretty easily. Go forward first.

I think they've been working on their physicality because in the past they've been insufficiently physical to compete with other top nations across the park, often simply being blown off the ball, particularly by England.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
For those who think that Simmons will not be missed and when considering who may be able to make a difference in the Line Out for the Wallabies games against the ABs.
The contributions in the 2 Tests so far in the TWC:

Simmons: (164mins) 11 LOW, 1 LOS (5.8 per 80 mins)
Fardy: (132 mins) 8 LOW (4.8 per 80 mins)
Skelton: (132 mins) 1 LOW (0.6 per 80 mins)
Higginbotham: (47 mins) 0 LOW, 1 LOS (1.7 per 80 mins)
Pocock: (115 mins) 0 LOW
Hooper: (112 mins) 0 LOW
McCalman: (48 mins) 0 LOW
Horwill: (32 mins) 0 LOW
Mumm: (27 mins) 0 LOW

The leading LOW (av per 80 mins) in Super Rugby 2015 by Australians:
Simmons: 5.0
Coleman: 5.0
Jones: 4.1
Carter: 4.0
Dennis: 4.0
Arnold: 3.8
Horwill: 3.7
Skelton: 1.5
Hooper: 0.5
Pocock: 0.3
Timani: 0.3

Fardy: 3.1
Higginbotham: 2.5
McCalman: 1.5
Palu: 1.0

For the ABs in Super Rugby 2015:
Retallick: 5.0
Thrush: 4.0
Read: 3.2
Whitelock: 2.8
Romano: 2.5
Broadhurst: 2.0
Kaino: 1.7
McCaw: 1.3

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The reason Simmons has more lineout wins is because he calls himself more than most. The better measure there is how many they lose. The number per 80 minutes is dependent (obviously) on how many lineouts there are.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The reason Simmons has more lineout wins is because he calls himself more than most. The better measure there is how many they lose. The number per 80 minutes is dependent (obviously) on how many lineouts there are.

OK So let Skelton be the caller and see how many that he wins in 80 minutes.

Fardy wasn't the caller yet won only 3 less than Simmons.

In the 2 Tests so far the Line Out results have been:

Against Argentina - 9 Won; 1 Lost

Against South Africa - 11 Won; 0 Lost

95% success rate isn't too bad.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
OK So let Skelton be the caller and see how many that he wins in 80 minutes.

Fardy wasn't the caller yet won only 3 less than Simmons.

In the 2 Tests so far the Line Out results have been:

Against Argentina - 9 Won; 1 Lost

Against South Africa - 11 Won; 0 Lost

95% success rate isn't too bad.

Indeed. I agree that Simmons is our best lineout operator.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone know how the crowd is tracking for Saturday night?

No wins against the AB's in Sydney since 2008 wouldn't be helping draw many floating fans.

That was the start of the Deans Era Ffs...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anyone know how the crowd is tracking for Saturday night?

No wins against the AB's in Sydney since 2008 wouldn't be helping draw many floating fans.

That was the start of the Deans Era Ffs.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I bought my tickets online over the weekend and a lot of the sections were already sold out. Might not get to a sell-out, but I reckon it will be close.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For those who think that Sommons will not be missed and when considering who may be able to make a difference in the Line Out for the Wallabies games against the ABs.
The contributions in the 2 Tests so far in the TWC:

I haven't read the previous pages but did anyone say that? Simmons out means we won't see Pooper.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I haven't read the previous pages but did anyone say that? Simmons out means we won't see Pooper.

Wont make a difference one would think as the other back row options are not the greatest lineout exponents bar Mumm. I would say we will see Pooper when Skelton comes off.
It's a big ask for Horwill to pull an 80 minute shift.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lealiifano was apparently 80 odd percent in Super rugby, despite his early season wobbles and that miss against the Stormers.

I don't think anyone else was at that level, and if Foley is starting at 10 then he must have Lealiifano at 12.

The tore NZ up last year, lets go with it again?

Leali'ifano kicked at 71.8% in Super Rugby 2015.

Foley kicked at 69.9%.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Great up to about 3 years ago Richie enforced no bright coloured boots in forwards, they were allowed Black or White, this is even better for a grumpy old bugger like me, hell I felt a bit gay even wearing boots with stripes on them when I played!!!:p

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some suggestion that with Simmons out & Slipper possibly rested we should start our "B" pack. Fuck that: put the "A" pack out there & demolish them, reserves can have a run when (if?) the job's done.

Not so fussed about the backs & wouldn't mind NM-S getting a start: we're not gonna lose if he gets stage-fright (which I don't think he would, he looks like a fairly cool & calm sorta kid) & if he's having a 'mare we can always sub him off.

AB by 5 - 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.