• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Great up to about 3 years ago Richie enforced no bright coloured boots in forwards, they were allowed Black or White, this is even better for a grumpy old bugger like me, hell I felt a bit gay even wearing boots with stripes on them when I played!!!:p

Showing my age a bit Dan, but when I played, there were no stripes. You could have any colour you liked so long as it was black. We left that shite to the soccer players.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I've been thinking about the AB's gameplan and how it will change depending on who the Wallabies select..........

The highlanders trapped the waratahs in the S15 semi final with their field position and constant pressure gameplan. This will be the blueprint IMO.

I agree with your summation that the AB's will play a fast game across the field.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Ticket sales have been quite good and my pick is for a crowd of 75,000 based on what I've seen on ticketek and a few late sales

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Whats with the ankle-tapping assistance corrugations back there?

abboots_620x310.jpg

Either way, Owen Franks pre-test nights of staying up to use model airplane paint to painstakingly cover up all the non-black bits on his boots are over!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Cheika starting the mind games? And this is from the ARU's own PR department...

WALLABIES PRACTICE MOVES AWAY FROM PRYING EYES

It’s just four days until the Qantas Wallabies face off against the All Blacks in the Rugby Championship decider at ANZ Stadium, and Head Coach Michael Cheika isn't giving anything away, opting for a closed training session today at Moore Park.

“We just wanted to have a day where we could work on a few things that we want to keep to ourselves, and minimise distractions.” Cheika said.

“I wasn’t too happy with yesterday’s session and I wanted to get the team concentrating on having a really good day. At the start of the week we said everyday, improve a little bit.“

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...ies-practice-moves-away-from-prying-eyes.aspx

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Having only seen his Grand Final try and the hit they replay in this a few times I didn't know much of Drew's form overseas, and this rather excited me.

Seems he's got his pace back and he seems to be rather relishing contact these days (check out of a few of his bumps).

#DrewforRWC15

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think there are too many All Blacks, who have never lost the Bledisloe, terrified that they will be the ones responsible for losing it after all these years. There will only be an A team out there.

Getting your excuses in early? It's always an A team when we win.........as far as I remember:(

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's largely been 2nd string, but when you're behind Bryan Habana and Delon Armitage, 2nd string is hardly a negative blot on your resume.

Not as good as he was when he was flying, but he's been in his best form since 2011, he's not shirking contact, he's gotten the top speed closer to where it was in the Glory days, his left boot is good, and he makes his tackles.

I think if you were being purely objective, he'd be 5th in line, behind the Brumbies pair, along with Horne and 2dads.

But I think that in terms of balance in the back 3, Mitchell would combine with say Folau and either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Horne, in a dynamic sort of way that only a fit and in form JOC (James O'Connor) could do better.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
My side for Saturday, with explanations
Sio - I've read all the amateur diagnosis here, but I believe Slipper needs a rest, and wouldn't play him again before the WC. Besides, Sio's been in great form off the bench, let's see how he goes starting
Moore - Goes without saying, although he's been below his best in the two tests so far and needs to lift
Kepu - Holmes is fine, but still our best TH imo.
Skelton - Offers something different that we need to build on. He still has a way to go, but won't do it watching on TV
Horwill - Better option to start then Mumm, who is more a lock/6 option. Could still cement a permanent spot, I don't think Simmons is ireplaceable
Fardy - A lock-in
Pocock - My toughest decision. We will miss the driving defence of Hooper at the start, which can kill an attacking raid, but our performance at the breakdown against the Boks has convinced me this is the way to go
Palu - We need his power in attack and defence, and neither McCalman nor Higgers locked in a spot. Go hard, and come off after 50
Phipps - Lock-in
Foley - This is still open, but imo has got a points decision over Cooper at this stage
To'omua - A lock-in, but if not fit Giteau
Kuridrani - Lock-in
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Would have had him on the bench before the tests, but has proved why we keep picking him. Not spectacular, but never has a bad one
Tomane - Still a question mark in D, but has earned the right for this one.
Izzy - Lock-in

Bench
TPN, actually scrummaging better than Moore, but can't throw and isn't captain
Smith - See above, Slipper rests
Holmes - Has proved to be the answer as back-up TH (there is no other)
Mumm - Good versatile replacement for lock or 6
Hooper - At 50 Palu comes off, Pocock to 8 and Hooper to 7
White - Best option
Giteau - Covers 10 & 12. His experience could be a real bonus late in a tight one
Beale - A gamble, but gets it over Mitchell could he could win a tight one if we're behind, a chip and regather, a deft little pass to a man in space, a 55 metre penalty kick, whatever. If we're in front, I don't put him on!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My side for Saturday, with explanations
Sio - I've read all the amateur diagnosis here, but I believe Slipper needs a rest, and wouldn't play him again before the WC. Besides, Sio's been in great form off the bench, let's see how he goes starting
Moore - Goes without saying, although he's been below his best in the two tests so far and needs to lift
Kepu - Holmes is fine, but still our best TH imo.
Skelton - Offers something different that we need to build on. He still has a way to go, but won't do it watching on TV
Horwill - Better option to start then Mumm, who is more a lock/6 option. Could still cement a permanent spot, I don't think Simmons is ireplaceable
Fardy - A lock-in
Pocock - My toughest decision. We will miss the driving defence of Hooper at the start, which can kill an attacking raid, but our performance at the breakdown against the Boks has convinced me this is the way to go
Palu - We need his power in attack and defence, and neither McCalman nor Higgers locked in a spot. Go hard, and come off after 50
Phipps - Lock-in
Foley - This is still open, but imo has got a points decision over Cooper at this stage
To'omua - A lock-in, but if not fit Giteau
Kuridrani - Lock-in
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Would have had him on the bench before the tests, but has proved why we keep picking him. Not spectacular, but never has a bad one
Tomane - Still a question mark in D, but has earned the right for this one.
Izzy - Lock-in

Bench
TPN, actually scrummaging better than Moore, but can't throw and isn't captain
Smith - See above, Slipper rests
Holmes - Has proved to be the answer as back-up TH (there is no other)
Mumm - Good versatile replacement for lock or 6
Hooper - At 50 Palu comes off, Pocock to 8 and Hooper to 7
White - Best option
Giteau - Covers 10 & 12. His experience could be a real bonus late in a tight one
Beale - A gamble, but gets it over Mitchell could he could win a tight one if we're behind, a chip and regather, a deft little pass to a man in space, a 55 metre penalty kick, whatever. If we're in front, I don't put him on!

Agree with most of your thinking, but I'd twist a couple of things. We need to be exploring a few things in preparation for the RWC without seriously weakening the team and I'd give To'omua another week's rest. I'd go with a 6:2 bench, its the forwards where the contest will be, the backs will just score the points.

So, as per your list but Giteau for To'omua, Mitchell for Tomane, Higgers onto the bench to replace Fardy after 60. Then next week Cooper and To'omua get a run, along with Speight and Tomane. This way we'll have a real good idea where we stand for RWC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

teach said:
I think there are too many All Blacks, who have never lost the Bledisloe, terrified that they will be the ones responsible for losing it after all these years. There will only be an A team out there.​
Getting your excuses in early? It's always an A team when we win...as far as I remember:(
Joe Blow, Today at 10:19 AM Report
Me thinks Teach means A team rather than B team so in other words; best team

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Be interested to see wings Shag puts out there, neither Savea or Milner-Skudder have played since S15 final so he may want one wing out there with game time under belt.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I had a dream last night that saw Higgers start at 8 and put a Tongan sidestep on one of the ABs before running 70m to score under the posts.

So I guess we can put that conundrum to rest.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
I had a dream last night that saw Higgers start at 8 and put a Tongan sidestep on one of the ABs before running 70m to score under the posts.

So I guess we can put that conundrum to rest.

First or last try of the game?? Could be worth a sneaky lobster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.