• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Official Shield Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's not going up today. There is some formal process I am going through. I want the ARU and the clubs on side so just going through those motions.

Whilst I think we can raise the money, and perhaps by the first game, construction will take longer so it may not be up this year. I don't want to kick start production until I am confident we have the money, let alone the 50% deposit required.

Have you thought about the incentives to contribute to the kickstarter campaign. May I suggest for contributions of $50 or more you have your name imprinted on the shield. Promote the idea of community. I think I remember the idea of it being named after Shawn McKay. Could be called the 'Shawn McKay Community Shield'. Just a thought.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We might consider the name thing. Etched on the back or something.

Rugby Future, perhaps we should look at that? Will up the price. Perhaps a $100 minimum.

The concept of calling it after Shawn Mackay has merit, but the general feeling is that there seem to be a handful of awards named after him already.

The "Spirit of Rugby Challenge Shield" I think is what we will head towards.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I designed the disk so that small tags could go on the back interior if we wanted to do that. I'd have to ask how much it will cost.

For everyones info
Most of the cost is the bronze casting and etching and the artwork which goes into that. overall the shield will be as the 3d pdf I posted earlier.

The bronze band across the centre will have the words I finalised earlier in the thread to each side, its name blazened across it and a represenation of this image on it:

spirit of rugby enhanced.png

obviously slightly refined.

The shield is joined and milled out of either black-wood or Jarrah depending on availability when we order and will be about a metre tall.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We might consider the name thing. Etched on the back or something.

Rugby Future, perhaps we should look at that? Will up the price. Perhaps a $100 minimum.

The concept of calling it after Shawn Mackay has merit, but the general feeling is that there seem to be a handful of awards named after him already.

The "Spirit of Rugby Challenge Shield" I think is what we will head towards.

I was thinking on the back. I was just referencing an earlier conversation on the thread re:Shawn McKay. 'The Spirit of Rugby Shield', yeah not bad.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I designed the disk so that small tags could go on the back interior if we wanted to do that. I'd have to ask how much it will cost.

For everyones info
Most of the cost is the bronze casting and etching and the artwork which goes into that. overall the shield will be as the 3d pdf I posted earlier.

The bronze band across the centre will have the words I finalised earlier in the thread to each side, its name blazened across it and a represenation of this image on it:

View attachment 6736

The shield is joined and milled out of either black-wood or Jarrah depending on availability when we order and will be about a metre tall.

I like the image. Very apt. As for my names suggestion. You'd probably know better than I but wouldn't it be possible to have actually printed on the back as part of the shield or will that make it to cost prohibitive.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the more people that contribute to the cost the better. I.e. it would be a lot cooler to have 600 people put in $25 each than to have 150 people put in $100 each.

I'm not sure if 600 people is realistic or not, but maybe it is. It could be an idea limiting the donation amount initially and trying to get as many small contributions as possible. Then if there's a shortfall seek bigger amounts in exchange for some sort of reward.

If that's not practical then no worries, just a thought.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a valid thought, but to be honest, I'd take 1 donation of $15k at the moment. It wouldn't change the fact that this is a community shield, as you only have to read back through these pages to see the contribution made already.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
True, but by seeking lots of small donations it'd be a great way of also creating awareness about it. The more people that contribute the better chance this has of being truly supported as an important trophy by the wider rugby community.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
a represenation of this image on it:
spirit-of-rugby-enhanced-png.6736

So this image will be an original artwork?

Do you have the rights to this England-Samoa image?

I like the image. Very apt. As for my names suggestion. You'd probably know better than I but wouldn't it be possible to have actually printed on the back as part of the shield or will that make it to cost prohibitive.
It would be very possible. Cost wouldn't be the first question to think about, though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok everyone. Update time. This is looking like it will happen with the right people seemingly all involved now.

The end result looks to be what we want, with some slight variations to the actual shield, but the hard work done by everyone in coming up with the concept and how it may work looks to have paid off.

I'll update as I can, without jumping the gun. But it looks like we will have something this season and without having to crowd source to fund it. If it happens then spend some money on a team membership, jersey or what whatever.

A big acknowledgement to Rugby Future who did A LOT of work behind the scenes sources and designing.

His work may not be the physical result but it helped make this thing real and build momentum.

More updates as I can will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.