• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Mmmm. I quite like stouts with a rich and bitter burnt chocolate taste, Return of the Dread hit the spot for me. It was on tap at the Great Australasian Beer SpecTAPular a few weeks ago, probably better than the bottle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Like you @Lindommer, I really like the Return of the Dread from Little Creatures. They seem to have retained the magic of craft despite being taken over by Big Beer (Lion/Kirin).

While I am doing Dry July, I can recommend these stouts if you can get them. I have rated them highly:
Black Stallion from Prickly Moses
Mussel Stout from Bellarine Brewing Co
Imperial Stout from Moa Brewing in NZ
Kellar Door: Oak Aged Stout from 4 Pines

For the more brave, try and get hold of:
Wild Thing from Murrays Brewing. They also do a Wild Thing Chocolate stout but I like the plain brew better. Horses for courses.
Narwahl Imperial Stout from Sierra Nevada in US is a gem.
Yin from Evil Twin Brewing in USA.
Bumaye from 8 Wired (NZ) is a real assault on the pallete, and at 16% ABV is not to be consumed in quantity.

Elsie the Milk Stout from Batch Brewing is a cracker but best on tap.

For a more complex and luxurious flavour:
Auld Bulgin' Boysterous Bicep from Murrays has the flavour of the oceans as well
Russian Imperial Stout from Morningside Peninsular Brewery
Boris Russian Imperial Stout from Feral Brewing
Imperial Stout from Founders (US)
IStout from 8 wired (NZ)

Not a stout but get some Stone Beer (2015) from Stone and Wood if you can. You wont be dissapointed with the rich creamy caramel and burnt toffee aromas and flavours.

This time of the year is also good for an old fashioned Porter as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Last night saw the launch of the program for Sydney Craft Beer Week for this October.
Tickets for the paid events went on sale at 9am today.
logo.png

Plenty of other free events to keep everyone in Sydney beery goodness.
https://www.sydneycraftbeerweek.com/

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Anyone planning on heading to the Beer Cartel one?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I suppose it's not really a craft beer, but Monteith's Doppelbock is quite a nice drop. Brings back some memories of the German Bocks.

SWMBO and I are in the land of the long white cloud for the foreseeable future but rest assured I won't be buying any AB gear and SWMBO will be wearing Tafu's jersey all over Auckland tomorrow!

In honour of this thread I promise to devote significant research into Kiwi craft beers, not withstanding my liking for cheap beers! (Cue some line about taking the boy out of Parramatta....)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I suppose it's not really a craft beer, but Monteith's Doppelbock is quite a nice drop. Brings back some memories of the German Bocks.

In honour of this thread I promise to devote significant research into Kiwi craft beers, not withstanding my liking for cheap beers! (Cue some line about taking the boy out of Parramatta..)

Give Monteiths IPA a crack, similar to James Squires Hop Thief. Also the Stoke range by the McCashin family that used to have Mac's brewery before selling it to one of the Big Brewers is worth a sample.

EDIT: and if you should find yourself in Wellywood this joint could be worth a look:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...eir-business-with-another-store-in-wellington

Also the Brass Monkey on the South coast between Owhiro & Island Bays, assuming it's still going.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Give Monteiths IPA a crack, similar to James Squires Hop Thief. Also the Stoke range by the McCashin family that used to have Mac's brewery before selling it to one of the Big Brewers is worth a sample.

EDIT: and if you should find yourself in Wellywood this joint could be worth a look:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...eir-business-with-another-store-in-wellington

Also the Brass Monkey on the South coast between Owhiro & Island Bays, assuming it's still going.
Thanks! Will give them a go.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ three to avoid: Tui claims to be an IPA but is in actual fact feral cat piss; Lion Brown is quite possibly the foulest beer in NZ if not the Southern Hemisphere; and a dishonourable mention for Lion's other epic fail, Waikato.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^^^^^^ three to avoid: Tui claims to be an IPA but is in actual fact feral cat piss; Lion Brown is quite possibly the foulest beer in NZ if not the Southern Hemisphere; and a dishonourable mention for Lion's other epic fail, Waikato.
I fell for the Tui trap a couple of years ago! I've never tried Lion Brown or Waikato and will gratefully accept your advice.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Treasury Wine Estates' performances these last few years would suggest they couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery. :confused:

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Rose is currently on trend and Baldric is happy. Try a bottle of Turkey Flat rose and be converted.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure if this been brought up but if you join Dan Murphy's they have a $10 six pack for card holders. A couple of different beers a month. This month Kirin and cricketers arms. Pretty good deal if you are like me and just want a cheap beer to wash down Friday night curries while watching sport on TV.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It's the volume of liquid and the distance between piss troughs that would do me in. I'd need to carry a bucket.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Returned from Beerhuis Kulminator in Antwerp, possibly the centre of the beer universe. These folks have been cellaring beer for over 40 years. Amongst other things, I tried a 1995 Chimay Grande Reserve - incredibly smooth, missing it's CO2, but with a nice undercurrent of alcohol.

The bar itself is a thing of beauty, with hops growing over the front window and ceiling, crates of Westvleteren stacked next to the front door, the proprietor reading the paper with a magnifying glass, and a couple of cats stalking behind the tables. Oh, and beer paraphernalia EVERYWHERE. Sadly, the couple running the show will likely retire in the next couple of years, and this recent sojourn may have been the last time I visit. This place is categorically imperitive for a serious beer lover while in Europe.