• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Although his "imposing" shield form was only one good year and on that basis was always likely to end in tears. If the selectors wanted to pick an older player with imposing 1st class form players like Klinger and Cosgrove had scored more runs over more sustained periods. Klinger for example has had a similar stellar season in the past, but has consistently outscored Voges over the years. Klinger also has regularly featured in the top runscorers in County Cricket - that might have been of some use as well.;)

Your points are well made and I rate Klinger, but possibly not as a potential test player. At the risk of being unnecessarily blunt, Cosgrove is too fat to play test cricket. Fielding is 50% of the game and we couldn't hide him at 1st slip all the time.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Despite all the criticism aimed at Watson in recent years he seems to have maintained his image as a genuinely good bloke.

I reckon he cops more than most because his perceived 'value' in limited overs cricket never translated to the test arena. IMO he isn't/never has been a test cricketer.

We will know his worth once he retires but just based on the length of time he's spent around the Australian test and one day squads, I'd wager that he is easily in our top 3 best ever ODI all-rounders.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
We will know his worth once he retires but just based on the length of time he's spent around the Australian test and one day squads, I'd wager that he is easily in our top 3 best ever ODI all-rounders.
He's easily that. Only Steve Waugh and Andrew Symonds have the record to be in the same conversation and he has better bowling and battting average than both of them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, Voges has an FC batting average of 46.

You won't find any players outside of the team that has a higher average. As far as I'm aware David Hussey and Chris Lynn are the only players.

Correct, David Hussey has a 1st class average of 52 and Chris Lynn has a 1st class average of 46 ( and he's only 25);)

T

Train Without a Station

46.92 isn't it QH? Have to consider that Lynn missed the first half of the 2014/2015 Sheffield Shield season injured and it was the second season in a row he was injured.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Watson in form with the bat would fit perfectly into the current situation. It's really a bit strange that someone of his obvious class and ability has been unable to fix the problem with where he puts his fron foot and lbw dismissals.

T

Train Without a Station

Ahh just checked. Wikipedia must be behind. Lynn's last 4 FC matches must have hurt him because wiki has his FC average 4 matches ago at 47.80.

It appears he has scored less than 200 runs in those up to 8 innings so I guess that will do it to you.

I'd like to see Lynn brought into the team once he stays fit for a whole season. Clearly the most class of all young batsmen around.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Your points are well made and I rate Klinger, but possibly not as a potential test player. At the risk of being unnecessarily blunt, Cosgrove is too fat to play test cricket. Fielding is 50% of the game and we couldn't hide him at 1st slip all the time.

Agree about Cosgrove and he also has behaviour issues. I'm not advocating Klinger for test status either necessarily. It just illustrates the point that 1st class cricket performances don't necessarily translate to test match cricket as they once did because current test players rarely play. Back in the day when all the test players played all the shield matches, you knew that if someone piled on the runs or took bagfuls of wickets they were ready for test match cricket.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would agree with that TWAS. There are a number of young batsmen on the cusp (Lynn, Madinson two name just two, plus Burns who has already had a go) and they will come under consideration I'm sure. The Aus A tour to India will be interesting to observe with who sticks their hand up.

T

Train Without a Station

TBH I'm not sure about "a number". Middinson and Burns are a couple of the better young performers but their career averages are not what you would expect of a player who you want in test matches.

They'd need to be in a rich vein of form at the time to be picked with their careers to date.

I'm actually concerned that there aren't a great deal of quality batsmen coming through. At least none that can consistently perform.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
TBH I'm not sure about "a number". Middinson and Burns are a couple of the better young performers but their career averages are not what you would expect of a player who you want in test matches.

They'd need to be in a rich vein of form at the time to be picked with their careers to date.

I'm actually concerned that there aren't a great deal of quality batsmen coming through. At least none that can consistently perform.

I have what I would call mild concerns about the state of our batting stocks. I'm probably a bit more optimistic though. We just don't have the never ending production line that we used to, with guys like Law, Siddons, Cox, Divenuto et al missing out when they would have played 100 tests in any other era.

It wasn't long ago that we were worried about our bowling talent as well, but that's been corrected. It will take some time for the batting to follow suit.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The batting stocks are low however I'm not sure it's all doom and gloom.

As this conversation illustrates, there aren't too many blokes in our first class competition that average over 45 and are genuine options in the middle order. IMO the lack of a clear candidate just further justifies the selection of Voges.

In terms of Australia A there are a few blokes on that Indian tour who have the ability to really kick on and feature in our test team. Lynn and Maddinson obviously come to mind but I reckon young Cameron Bancroft has huge potential. Khawaja, Burns and Maxwell are also options but haven't had returns in the test arena just yet, Callum Ferguson is another.

The battle amongst our spinners should also be interesting in the next few years. Agar, O'Keefe, and Boyce will ensure we have plenty of depth behind Lyon and Ahmed.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He's easily that. Only Steve Waugh and Andrew Symonds have the record to be in the same conversation and he has better bowling and battting average than both of them.

Glenn Maxwell could have a genuine claim to being in this conversation if his career continues on it's current trajectory.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
IMO the selectors have thought pretty much the same thing for a long time.

Injuries have been pretty cruel to him but for me it's more a timing thing. Whenever a spot has opened up in our test XI there has been some other bright prodigy or favoured player.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
All reports suggesting Australia will field the same XI for the fourth test.

Shaun Marsh must be feeling pretty unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.