• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepu

Herbert Moran (7)

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Did play rugby league when he got to Australia and did play rep league until u15's finishing off for Nsw u15's but always a South African and plays rugby.
Re: Reece Hewat
Thanks for the information Natal Shark good to know; glad to hear that he chose rugby instead of the "dark side"
I think he is an extremely good player and has a great future in Rugby Union. Hope he makes it as Schoolboy Captain and stays in the Queensland community after school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
BGS v NC

King, I know your a young fella and a budding journalist or blogger but your comments on the game (above) are fairly biased against Nudgee and your passion misguided.

How can the GT v TSS game be described for TSS .... "a backline who used their athletic ability and great skill to beat the defence" but the NC effort was (for all intensive purposes) be almost "lucky" or that Grammar were just pipped at the post??!! King, Grammar were flogged, pure and simple. Yes Riley (TSS) and co are big and strong and very athletic, but the back for NC (smaller and more wiry) also won their day through the same illusive running and lack of defence as TSS did on the weekend.

You need to give yourself an uppercut for your portrayal of the game. To call black, white and blue, red makes the small tiff between Nudgee and Terrace over 100 years ago seem trivial; just call it as it is, not what you want it to be. Everyone is most certainly welcomed (you included) to give their opinion, you will not gain any credibility with the rants like the above one.

NC won that game convincingly with "athletic ability and great skill" in both attack and defence.

Keep it cool man! :)

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
This weeks match of the round (NC v BBC) will look more like the Battle of Gettysburg then a rugby match at the Fortress on Sandgate Road.

As we speak and in addition to #1 Moseley and #6 Meni being out, #13 Richman (shoulder) and #1 Soli (back/neck) are both out. Also doubts with #7 Zappala (knee) and one of the stars from last week #15 Semisi Tupou (Groin and Flu, if one doesn't get you the other will!). Keep you posted.

Add this to the already renowned list from BBC, I think everyone should bring there crutches and wheelchairs to Ross Oval this week in sympathy.

This should make it a lot closer a game then most will suspect.....watch those tips, this weeks getting tricky!

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
This weeks match of the round (NC v BBC) will look more like the Battle of Gettysburg at the Fortress at Sandgate Road.

As we speak and in addition to #1 Moseley and #6 Meni being out, #13 Richman (shoulder) and #1 Soli (back) are both out. Also looks there is also doubt on #7 Zappala (knee) and one of the stars from last week #15 Semisi Tupou (Groin and Flu, if one doesn't get you the other will!). Keep you posted.

Add this to the already renowned list from BBC, I think everyone should bring there crutches and wheelchairs to Ross Oval this week.

This should make it a lot closer a game then most will suspect...watch those tips, this weeks getting tricky!

add another one!. 12 for BBC Seabrook a 2 nd year 1stxv player is also out along with Farrell, Hope ,Cotton, Porter,.
no word on Ikatu or Simpson.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
BGS v NC

"Failure to ignite" is one way to describe the BGS performance against Nudgee in the 55-14 romp at Northgate.

From the kick-off the Nudgee "machine" were able to bulldoze their way forward. Most times Grammar had the ball they usually failed to cross the gain line due to lack of direction and NC's defence. They were scappy and disorganised in the backs.

This lead to plethora of tries for NC in the first half, seven in all, which made it look like a training run for the butcher stripes: two a piece for #8 Hewat #11 Armstrong and #15 Tupou and a single for #13 Richman. I was particularly impressed with the #15 and #11 as they seemed to have the ball on a sting and with their light feet and pace and showed up Grammar for their lack of understanding on how to tackle a man with the ball.

Even when NC showed some signs of sloppy moments inside their 22m, on a rare (two) occasions Grammar had the ball there, the last line of defence (#7 Zappala and #11 Armstrong) were there to deny them. It wasn't until the 38th minute and after a series of 4-5 penalties (and a yellow card to #6 Ireland) that grammar were able to cross the line through some dogged pick n drive. A well deserved try given that they controlled the ball for some 6 minutes inside the red zone. On the other side of the coin it was a pleasing defensive effort for Nudgee as they defended there line for that time.

HT 41-7

After dining on a sumptuous try fest in the first half, Nudgee supporters were looking forward to the second half. The half started with a mistake from NC (kick-off out on the full) and this set the tone (as it often does in rugby) for the half. The smorgasbord of tries reignited however a short time later with a penalty to NC an easy lineout win and #3 Gavin Luka "strolling" 20m over to cross under the posts and almost untouched. The second half found Luka making some hard runs and some damaging tackles.

The game then went into a holding pattern for about 10 minutes as it was mainly played between the 22m lines. No team could take the advantage of the ball they had with NC momentum stifled by penalties and Grammar rarely making it across the vantage line or making elementary handling errors. It wasn't until 18 minutes in that a charge down by NC lead to their final try of the afternoon. The final 7 minutes were spent inside the NC 22m with BGS scoring a try very reminiscent of the first half.

The lineout were easily dominated by NC with #7 Zappala and #8 Hewat taking 2 against the throw jumps each. The scrums were dominated by NC as well. The battle of the breakdown was won by BGS with #8 McReight taking that battle. McReight had a cracker of a game with good tackling and some strong runs and can hold his head up high in a dominated forward back.

Man of the match was, and I had 5 to chose from (NC #3 Luka #8 Hewat, #11 Armstrong & #15 Tupou and BGS #8 McReight) and I think I would just lean towards Hewat. Again he lead from the front, ran hard, tackle well and just had an all-round good performance.
Notables:
NC: #2 Schoupp, #3 Luka, #5 Verryne, #7 Zappala, #8 Hewat, #11 Armstrong & #15 Tupou
TGS: #6 Ebzery, #8 McReight and possibly #9 Halliday

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Happy to Chat. Will try and give and finish the GT v TSS game some time today if I get the chance.

The try listings for the games (I don't think) are published anywhere.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thanks Sage didn't think we did, read on the forum South of the border and there someone seems to keep a comprehensive list of all the try scorers. Interesting to note which of the Aus Schoolboys are producing every week and which aren't. I know it comes down to the team you are playing in and the chances that are created but some of the more prominent players are going through a dry spell.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think he is an extremely good player and has a great future in Rugby Union. Hope he makes it as Schoolboy Captain and stays in the Queensland community after school.

When he moved to Nudgee (after representing NSW in the U15s), did the family move to Queensland from the Illawarra as well?

If the family moved, it is highly likely that he will stay in QLD.

If they didn't, then I'd imagine that the usual suspects from Sydney Club rugby would have been speaking to parents and agents. Southern Districts usually do well out of the former Illawarra juniors, and have previously landed a few former QLD GPS Schoolboys.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
No I think his parents still stay in NSW and he is boarding at NC but I am sure the Reds would be just as keen to keep him here and depending on if there are any scholarships on offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting to see the U15 Met North side made up primarily of the NC super side and GT only managed 3rd at the recent conference - losing to both South Coast and Sunshine Coast (Semi).

Met East won the tournament

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Garry Owen, I like your thinking but:
BBC to do Nudgee by 3 (NC will still come through this one even if it is by a narrow margin)
Churchie to do TGS by 12 (I think TGS will be better prepared for this one - TGS by a couple)
TSS to do IGS by 19 (Tss may be missing one but a comfortable win is on the cards 20+)
BGS to do State High by 7 (BGS will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they want to win one this season - BSHS by 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.