• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 2: Stars v QLD Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're in a conundrum, the NSW are the worst teams but the NSW teams would draw the highest ratings.

T

Train Without a Station

Interestingly RH the commentators noted in the second half that a dropped ball was his first error. Didn't see another error after that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
At the game live some observations:

Green was MOTM. I speak as a Stars (and Reds fan). Super performance.
Hanson was marked by pods. Qld on Qld and they weren't letting him get anything. Played well but marked hard.

Scrums to Country. Not something I expected.

That weirdo Stars coach is awesome. First try, verbally, he had his foot 12 inches up the arse of the open winger "Width Henry". No try except for the coach input. Saw this many times. He's good with the backs in attack and defence.

Line out, Hanson throwing to Dennis. They worked where he was jumping but honest, Country didn't cotton on?

Defence, what defence?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In my view of the game, Duncan certainly made too many errors, mainly dropped ball. Had to laugh out loud when the commentators said he was a rung above the others.

Perese is a star in the making. Great game.

Jones was very good also.

Green again showed better form than his rival for the Reds' No 10 spot.

Qld Counrty scrum is a weapon - was last week as well.

Others to play good were Robertson, Mitchell, Phillip, Cornelson, F'Sautia and Stewart.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
90 points in a game, meh, these early defense optional opposed training runs get bloody frustrating to me

Pretty hard to judge any of the general play really.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Qld country had enough opportunities to win 3 games.
Execution let them down badly IMO.
I thought the 10 & 12 did many good things mixed with many errors.
CFS needs a huge rocket up his fat arse.
Just simply not good enough from someone with his CV.

T

TOCC

It's strange, CFS was in phenomenal form for Souths in the QPR a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
One area which I thought the Stars would dominate would be at the scrum however I was so wrong. Queensland Rugby have by far the best up and coming front rowers in the game. Fa'agase and A. Mafi (despite that error leading to the try) were in the thick of things and impressed. Add that to the Bris City front row of Paraka, Ready, Talakai and M. Mafi it really is a quality group the QRU have secured.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

IMO some of the Super players especially backs have found the transition into the NRC a tough one due to he looseness of the games. A lot of people were impressed by Hunts performance in the opener however I thought he too lacked that spark like F'Sautia last night.
One thing I do know is that CFS is in a good head space after the return of new strength and conditioner Damian Marsh. I will expect him to slowly find his feet

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know Fox Sports have one player mic'd up for these games, but being in a crowd of about 200 was like having every player mic'd up. You could hear the players talking and it was actually quite interesting. Probably not the best idea to schedule it on the same night as the NRL at the SFS though.

Also I thought defence was on/off. For example, the first and last 10 minutes of the game was built on Stars defence, and I thought they looked impressive until the floodgates opened. Similarly for country between 60 and 70 minutes when they starved the Stars of possession while mounting a comeback. Obviously the next step for these teams is defending consistently over 80 minutes.

All up, a good night out, looking forward to the Saturday arvo games at Leichardt.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)

I wonder how much he got thrown off his game by that solid falcon in the 7th minute? Agree though, he was way off his best, with poor passing, catching and positioning

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some good exciting young players in the QLD Country team.

Sure they made some mistakes, but it is great that NRC allows them the opportunity to make mistakes while they learn their trade, and make the transition from Schoolboy Footy to Professional Ranks.

I'd rather have them make the errors in NRC than in the pressure cooker atmosphere of a Super Rugby game that would really drain their confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.