• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I did a post a long time ago, basically it said what you have identified.. But I also compared the wallabies 2011 squad against other teams and it identified that the Wallabies squad of 2011 was vastly inexperienced compared to other tier 1 nations, and that the past few winners of the RWC have had squads which were significantly more experienced and mature then the Wallabies of 2011.

From memory the Wallabies of 2011 were the youngest and least experienced of the RWC contenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Average age of 2011 RWC Squads

-26 Australia, United States, Wales

-27 Canada, Fiji, Georgia, Namibia, Russia

-28 Argentina, England, France, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Romania, Samoa, Scotland, South Africa, Tonga

-29 Ireland

Previous RWC Winners(average Age/Caps)
1999: Australia(27/622)
2003: England(28/638)
2007: SouthAfrica(27/688)
2011: New Zealand(28/709)

Australia 2015 RWC Squad
Caps: 1236(628 in the forwards, 608 in the backs)

-Nine players age aged 30 or over(Wycliff Palu the oldest at 33)
-13 players who will play at World Cup for the first time
-18 who are returning for a second World Cup

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ikas-31-the-right-wallabies-for-the-world-cup

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice to see a photo of Sam Carter, and a bloodied Stephen Moore separating the protagonists (Skelton and Douglas), following a "clash" at training, as shown in this week's "Friday G&GR Email"!!

T

Tip

Re: No third hooker

Sio has been the "3rd Hooker" in every Australian touring team since schoolboys.

An irrational me says it's horseshit. Although that probably has something to do with me being the 3rd hooker overlooked when it first happened:D

A rational me says that this is a good decision, it enables full opposed sessions and seamless transitioning between squad members for the final 23. The 3rd hooker doesn't need to play a game anyway.

Whilst TPN's desire to become the first clinically documented and medically sanctioned case of "sustained, repeated concussions resulting in brain-dead vegetable" is admirable - it doesn't really effect the squad. At his stage, he's going to need 2 weeks on the sideline >minimum< following any head knock, so he'll be out of the squad and replaced regardless to whether we had 2 or 3 hookers..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thanks TOCC. I thought in 2011 it was a little too earlier for that squad but they might be cherry ripe now. It's the last chance for a good number of them and it's surely the most experienced Wallaby squad ever assembled. There are some good players who have missed out as well, which is a good sign.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Nice to see a photo of Sam Carter, and a bloodied Stephen Moore separating the protagonists (Skelton and Douglas), following a "clash" at training, as shown in this week's "Friday G&GR Email"!!
Mr Doug, do you know how Sam took missing the cup squad?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

Tomikin, I told Sam's Grandmother this morning that it's in his interests to let Skelton and Douglas "do battle", in the hope that one may sustain an injury, thus moving Sam closer to being in the 31-man squad!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
11885336_1181235268556984_6959804330190599791_n.jpg

Cheik getting stuck in for the RWC.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

Tomikin, I'm sorry, I didn't fully answer your question this morning. Sam is philosophical about his injury, his recovery, and missing the 31-man squad. He has been given several opportunities to prove his fitness. He trained with the Wallabies on the Wednesday before they flew to Auckland, and again the following Thursday. He captained the Eagles on the weekend, then has been training with the Wallabies again this week.
I expect him to fly to the USA tomorrow, with his next flight being either back to Australia for the NRC, or to the UK for the RWC! If it's the former, his next major goal will be the 2019 RWC in Japan!!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tomikin, I'm sorry, I didn't fully answer your question this morning. Sam is philosophical about his injury, his recovery, and missing the 31-man squad. He has been given several opportunities to prove his fitness. He trained with the Wallabies on the Wednesday before they flew to Auckland, and again the following Thursday. He captained the Eagles on the weekend, then has been training with the Wallabies again this week.
I expect him to fly to the USA tomorrow, with his next flight being either back to Australia for the NRC, or to the UK for the RWC! If it's the former, his next major goal will be the 2019 RWC in Japan!!
Thanks Mr Doug always good to hear, wish him luck from us

Status
Not open for further replies.