• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...th-the-Qantas-Wallabies-ahead-of-England.aspx

KB (Kurtley Beale) with Waratahs until end of 2017.
CNdNFb0UYAAqNG5.jpg

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Waratahs squad for 2016 continues to take shape, with Guildford apparently honouring his contract (as I expected) and Carraro apparently staying on (as I had hoped). While we posture over what/who else we need in 2016, I thought I'd construct a 2014-2016 squad comparison so we can get some context...

* stands for EPS, ** players are Transition (current only) and bracketed players are previous year ring-ins. Previous year transition players not included. I'm guessing the transition contracts are like commitment rings, "we're engaged to get engaged" - Tahs get the player off the market until they work out if they're likely to ever become marriage material.

Props
2014 - Robinson, Kepu, Ryan, Tilse, Ala'alatoa*
2015 - Robinson, Kepu, Ryan, Tilse, Ala'alatoa*, (Kuate)
2016 - Robinson, Ta'avao, Ryan, Robertson*, Sandell*, Orr**
Summary: good depth, though light on for experience. We ought to keep Tilse on as Orr (transition) is currently Fatcat's only back-up - unless Latu re-signs.

Hookers
2014 - Polota-Nau, Latu, Roach*
2015 - Polota-Nau, Latu, Roach*, (Porecki)
2016 - Polota-Nau, Roach
Summary: Roach's Waratah cameos plus good SS form suggest he'll progress, though I'd like to see confirmation that we've re-signed Latu as Taf's days are numbered.

Locks
2014 - Douglas, Potgeiter, Skelton, Chapman, Peterson*
2015 - Dennis, Skelton, Chapman, Lousi, (Mumm)
2016 - Dennis, Mumm, Skelton, Lousi
Summary: we really should sign another lock as we usually have a couple of loosies that can cover in times of need - though seemingly only Holloway in 2016. Matt Philip has an opportunity to impress with the Stars - EPS would give us a good look at him.

Loose forwards
2014 - Dennis, Holloway, Hooper, McCutcheon, Palu, Gray, (Hoiles)
2015 - Potgieter, Hoiles, Holloway, Hooper, McCutcheon, Dempsey*, Palu, Gray
2016 - Hooper, Dempsey, Holloway, Wilkin, Hanigan**
Summary: we're light-on here, since we'll run 5 loose forwards in the match-day 23. If all locks are fit, Dennis can cover 6 or 8 again though extra depth - and ideally an enforcer - desperately required.

Scrumhalf
2014 - Phipps, McKibbin, Lucas*
2015 - Phipps, McKibbin, Faleali'i*
2016 - Phipps, Gordon*
Summary: Matt Lucas is an option for a full contract, if he doesn't sign with sevens. He's an adequate backup at this level, though would struggle as a starter.

Inside backs
2014 - Foley, Beale, Lance, Horwitz*
2015 - Foley, Beale, Lance, Horwitz*
2016 - Foley, Beale, Deegan**
Summary: assuming that Stewart can be used as cover at 12, we should be okay here. I haven't heard if Horwitz has re-signed, so he might yet take Lance's role of wearing suits to the SFS.

Outside backs
2014 - Ashley-Cooper, Cararro, Hodge, Horne, Alofa*, Betham, (Naiyaravoro), Crawford, Folau, Volavola
2015 - Ashley-Cooper, Carraro, Horne, Naiyaravoro, Betham, Kellaway, Clunies-Ross*, Folau, Volavola
2016 - Carraro, Stewart*, Horne, Guildford, Kellaway, Jones**, Folau
Summary: will Horne go back to 13? Or Folau, with Beale at 15? I think the latter would risk weakening the inside backs in attack though. No word on Clunies-Ross, except for the injury. I guess it's either him or Northam for the 3rd back-up winger, with a backup fullback desperately required. Jones will be hoping for a big NRC in order to step up from transition.

Summary
With 22 full signings, and 4 of each EPS and transition, there's probably room for another 9x full and 2x EPS contracts.

Latu is a priority. I further anticipate Tilse (on experience) and Horwitz (on SS form) to get full contracts, as well as Lucas. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Kingston get a 1yr contract too (studies permitting). Stewart might also step up from EPS to full pending a strong showing in the NRC, and I expect the strongest NRC performer from Clunies-Ross, Jones and Northam to get a full deal with one other on EPS. They see a future in Matt Philip if he develops the right skills and physique, so I've penciled him in as an EPS too. That'll be leaving 2x full and 1x EPS contracts left to fill and it seems they all need to be loose forwards... especially if Hanigan gets developed as a lock.

Hanigan's on pole for the EPS if he performs in the NRC, though which other loose forwards are out there demanding full contracts? Auelua, Haylett-Petty, Samo, Quirk, Robinson and Schatz are all off-contract from other local provinces, with (the younger) Haylett-Petty most likely to have a future - though seemingly happy with his bro over West. We need a real enforcer so maybe we consider the ageing Auelua over the under-sized Schatz as a short-term solution. Who else could get a full contract as a loose forward? I say Jared Warea-Hargreaves as a number 8, though that ship sailed many moons ago...

Discuss.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd also suggest that Horne can be considered a cover for the inside backs. It would change the way the Tahs play currently but I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson has a different approach to Chieka in terms of backs play in any event.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pete Samu he was barely talked about when he played at Randwick?
That may be the case (although I seem to recall hearing his name plenty of times) but he wouldn't be the first player to flourish in a different environment. He'll be picked up by a Super Rugby team for sure.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Zac Guildford's ITM is likely over. Should get banned for 10+ weeks. Did a disgusting tackle.
Surprised the AR didn't see it. Probably not 10 weeks but four at least. Hope the Tahs have some way to get out of the contract. I'm a believer in second chances but this guy uses second chances like kindling.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nearly one billion were spent to build it and you're going to destroy it just because the view for rugby isn't so good?

It's had a 16 year life so far and has hosted hundreds of events. It'll still be useable for some time. I just wouldn't spend any more money on trying to extend its use by date. The amount you'd have to spend to actually make it a decent stadium for watching rectangular field sports would be huge. May as well use that money to build something new and better.

T

TOCC

it's not wasting money if you refuse to invest further into infrastructure which isn't meeting the requirements.

ANZ Stadium has another 10years in it without any needing any major funding injections or upgrades. At the end of its life it should be decommissioned or reconfigured into a much small oval stadium, not upgraded further.

Save the money proposed for upgrading ANZ and build a new dedicated rectangular stadium, let the SCG and the Sydney Showground Stadium be the two main 'oval' stadiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Zac Guildford's ITM is likely over. Should get banned for 10+ weeks. Did a disgusting tackle.

For those who (like me) didn't see it:

Amazingly I can't find any reference to the tackle, much less ZG being cited for it, on any of the usual-suspect sites. Gotta be worth six weeks, I'd have thought.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
For those who (like me) didn't see it:

Amazingly I can't find any reference to the tackle, much less ZG being cited for it, on any of the usual-suspect sites. Gotta be worth six weeks, I'd have thought.
I have to agree it's one of the worst lifting tackles of the season. He has to go. I heard that DG has talked him back into coming to the Tahs. He might be having second thoughts after seeing this tackle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Assistant Coach Nathan Grey has re-signed with the Tahs, completing the coaching group appointments for the 2016 season.

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs...157/ArticleID/16075/Grey-to-stay-in-2016.aspx
Grey will coach alongside new coaching recruits Cameron Blades and Chris Malone in Head Coach Daryl Gibson’s inaugural season, and says he is looking forward to the opportunity to build on the successful culture of the team.
“Over the past few years we have had some great success, and it is wonderful to look back and recognise that, but we’re creating our own path with this group and developing the Waratahs into a stronger, more consistent and hopefully very competitive team,” Grey said.
“Knowing their [Blades and Malone] history they will be able to bring a different skill set and fresh perspective to what Daryl and I have, so it will be fantastic to pick their brains and learn from them - I have no doubt they will be able to really add to the Waratahs team culture in their own unique way, I’m looking forward to working alongside them next season.”
Grey is currently on tour with the Wallabies in an assistant coaching capacity, and will return to the Volvo Centre for the 2016 pre-season training in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.