• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Non-Wallaby RWC Warm Up Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Barbarians 27 defeated Samoa 24. Samoa toiled hard after being reduced to 14 men from the 16th minute with a red card to Kane Thompson for his cheap shot on Saia Fianga'a.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
IRE unlucky not to win that one, Welsh lineout was poor and they didnt offer much in attack. Wales won with a rock solid defence and accurate goal kicking. Ireland tried their hearts out and had plenty of possession and opportunity in the 2nd half, but couldnt quite make it happen.
Wales didnt honestly look like they would trouble the Wobblies too much on that showing, but i suspect they will lift!
Dunno what game you were watching. In the one I watched Wales outmuscled and were fitter and stronger in just about every aspect of the game. They stuck to the cement plan, but they kicked too much. However but for a brain fart before half time that wasn't a close match. And it was in Dublin.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oh and tipuric was mccawesque. Apart from that, sure Ireland were unlucky.

Big problem for Ireland is that Schmidt needs a plan b or is it d for sexton. Kicking for touch just gave the ball to Wales.

Sorry that earls carried off. Hope he's ok

Not the send off from Dublin that st parl would've wanted - playing in a beaten pack.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Canada beat Glasgow Warriors 19-12 overnight. They'll have a very good shot against Italy. Arguably the most likely tier 2 victory over a tier 1 team at the world cup. Along with Samoa vs Scotland.

Japan also beat Uruguay 40-0 in their 2nd test. They'll give Scotland and Samoa a run for their money.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Glasgow vs Canada was a reasonable game. Glasgow lacked a hell of a lot of fluency, missing about 2 backlines and half a pack to injury or international selection, I'd not be talking up Canada's chances on the basis of that.

I'd be talking about Canada's chances on the basis of the Scotland-Italy game. I'd like to attribute the whole performance to us and huge chunks of it were, but yikes, the way that first string front row was playing, their lineout was easily taken care of, their defensive systems were all over the place simply when there were fully committed decoy runners. We left about 4 kicks on the park too, could easily have been a massacre if Laidlaw and Russell had been kicking straight.

Ireland v Wales was a bit of a snorefest. Didn't think we learned too much.

Even if we completely discount the result due to the circumstances (strong Baabaas team, red card in the 17th minute, sprinklers), the Samoans did not play well at all, ball being dropped everywhere, dysfunctional set piece, missing tackles, kicks going everywhere. I hope there's some significant improvement to come, they'd have been put to the sword against a team with a reasonable defensive alignment.

Japan v Uruguay just stunk of professionals v Amateurs. The Japanese made the most of the opportunities, but the Uruguay players were struggling to get onside, had a yellow card or 2 against them, just appeared somewhat out of depth.

The most likely "upset" in terms of teirs beating each other is probably still Scotland v Samoa with Canada v Italy a 2nd. Think the Fijiians are the most likely to cause an upset though because they've got 3 matches in which to cause one.

But really, with the exception of professional structures, the teirs are fairly outdated. At the top level, theres roughly 4 pure groups. Wales, Ireland, France, England, New Zealand and South Africa are on top, Scotland, Italy, Samoa, Argentina and Fiji in the 2nd. Canada, USA, Tonga, Japan, Romania and Georgia in the third group, with Namibia, Uruguay and the also rans (Russia, Kenya, Zimbabwe etc.) rounding out the group of "proper" international teams, with the minnows being of varying strength below them.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Canada also weren't playing their absolute top team. A few of their likely world cup starters were on the bench or rested. Canada aren't bad. Last year they only lost by 2 against Scotland and from memory they were robbed of victory by a poor refereeing decision.

But I agree with that summation of the tiers. I think the most positive thing for world rugby is that the gap between those 2nd and 3rd groups is becoming very small. That should be evident at this world cup when all teams will have had excellent preparations. Outside of world cups the tier 2 teams have it a lot harder.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
What do people read into wales beating the world's #2 ranked side? Should we be concerned about our pool match against Wales?

B

Bazarov

Only 14 points separating Australia and Wales in the last five tests.

Glad the games in London not Cardiff.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Even if we completely discount the result due to the circumstances (strong Baabaas team, red card in the 17th minute, sprinklers), the Samoans did not play well at all, ball being dropped everywhere, dysfunctional set piece, missing tackles, kicks going everywhere. I hope there's some significant improvement to come, they'd have been put to the sword against a team with a reasonable defensive alignment.

But really, with the exception of professional structures, the teirs are fairly outdated. At the top level, theres roughly 4 pure groups. Wales, Ireland, France, England, New Zealand and South Africa are on top, Scotland, Italy, Samoa, Argentina and Fiji in the 2nd. Canada, USA, Tonga, Japan, Romania and Georgia in the third group, with Namibia, Uruguay and the also rans (Russia, Kenya, Zimbabwe etc.) rounding out the group of "proper" international teams, with the minnows being of varying strength below them.

With due regard for the circumstances you've outlined, the officiating also contributed largely to what was a pretty slip shod performance by both teams imo. Referee (who was he?) seemed to be very much arbitrary and pedantic in his rulings, when he made a ruling. Breakdown was pretty much a free for all. Hope we don't get to see him in the RWC.

From an Aussie player perspective, Benn Robinson had a strong game; Luke Jones and Liam Gill were very good and the pick of the forwards; Jones and Adam Thomson together will be very good for the Rebels next year. Christian Lealiifano did some good things and some things that were not so good, especially his kicking game including kicking for goal. Ben Tapuai was the standout in the backs showing all the skills he had when playing his best some years ago. Will be a good pickup for the Force if he's not hamstrung by coaching and game plans which just might have been the case at the Reds the last few years. Taquele Naiyaravoro also had a strong game.

In your tiers, I didn't see where the Wallabies stand. Are we below the rest?:)

Reactions: gel

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jones and Adam Thomson together will be very good for the Rebels next year.

pretty much agree with your summary and ref comments.

i am very happy Rebels snapped up Thomson, almost all of the good points from Higginbothams's game and fewer of the bad.
Jones i see becoming the Brad Thorn of Australian rugby, big engine, does his core duties very well and if he can improve his handling (which is better each year) will be very damaging at Super level.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
With due regard for the circumstances you've outlined, the officiating also contributed largely to what was a pretty slip shod performance by both teams imo. Referee (who was he?) seemed to be very much arbitrary and pedantic in his rulings, when he made a ruling. Breakdown was pretty much a free for all. Hope we don't get to see him in the RWC.

From an Aussie player perspective, Benn Robinson had a strong game; Luke Jones and Liam Gill were very good and the pick of the forwards; Jones and Adam Thomson together will be very good for the Rebels next year. Christian Lealiifano did some good things and some things that were not so good, especially his kicking game including kicking for goal. Ben Tapuai was the standout in the backs showing all the skills he had when playing his best some years ago. Will be a good pickup for the Force if he's not hamstrung by coaching and game plans which just might have been the case at the Reds the last few years. Taquele Naiyaravoro also had a strong game.

In your tiers, I didn't see where the Wallabies stand. Are we below the rest?:)
Woops, thought I put you guys in the top teir.

And the officiating played a part yes, but that Samoan team shoukd have been well drilled enough to exploit their greater cohesion.

And yes, Aussies in general played well.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What do people read into wales beating the world's #2 ranked side? Should we be concerned about our pool match against Wales?
I read that Ireland weren't a true 2nd best. And now the Wallabies will probably go into the Cup ranked 2nd which I doubt many saw happening after the Spring Tour.

But we will definitely need to be on our game against the Welsh. Can't afford any slip ups in the Pool Matches if we want to win this thing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
More on the automated sprinklers coming on at the Olympic Park during the Barbarians vs Samoa match

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...or-seating-at-west-hams-stadium-10478187.html

OlympicStadium2.jpg

OlympicStadium6.jpg

G

galumay

Dunno what game you were watching. In the one I watched Wales outmuscled and were fitter and stronger in just about every aspect of the game. They stuck to the cement plan, but they kicked too much. However but for a brain fart before half time that wasn't a close match. And it was in Dublin.

I did miss most of the first half, but I was watching the game where Wales never threatened to score a try and had very little possession. The one where Ireland had most of the pill but just couldnt find a way through the stoic Welsh defence. Also the game where time after time the Welsh turned the ball over illegally with no action by Joubert.

As I said I dont think the Welsh showed anything that would concern the Wobblies too much, without the turnover ball they would have struggled to find any possession, their line out was shaky and their scrum certainly wasnt dominant.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I did miss most of the first half, but I was watching the game where Wales never threatened to score a try and had very little possession. The one where Ireland had most of the pill but just couldnt find a way through the stoic Welsh defence. Also the game where time after time the Welsh turned the ball over illegally with no action by Joubert.

As I said I dont think the Welsh showed anything that would concern the Wobblies too much, without the turnover ball they would have struggled to find any possession, their line out was shaky and their scrum certainly wasnt dominant.
But we did just beat oireland in oireland which Australia failed to do.

Shame you missed the first half when both teams were at full strength. Bradley Davies was excellent

There are some worries for gatland particularly with his favourite son cuthbert but I think we're ok. Let's see how ireland go against orcland

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you're going to place importance on the 2014 EOYT from the Wallabies you losing to Cheika's first Test as a coach is more telling..

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you're going to place importance on the 2014 EOYT from the Wallabies you losing to Cheika's first Test as a coach is more telling..
Yup. Wales have lacked the mental nerve to hold out against Australia so many times and that's been the difference. Hopefully that's changed. We ll see. From what I saw yesterday they've certainly prepared well and are on top fitness. Happier with a strong performance and win against Ireland than I would be if we'd been flogged by the all blacks. Not sure how much depth there is to welsh squad. They did struggle once they brought on second string backs so better pray to the gnome on high for no injuries

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yup. Wales have lacked the mental nerve to hold out against Australia so many times and that's been the difference. Hopefully that's changed. We ll see. From what I saw yesterday they've certainly prepared well and are on top fitness. Happier with a strong performance and win against Ireland than I would be if we'd been flogged by the all blacks. Not sure how much depth there is to welsh squad. They did struggle once they brought on second string backs so better pray to the gnome on high for no injuries
Yep, the only differential between the two teams is mental.......

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
One Welsh player outmuscled in every aspect of the game, and that was Tipuric. And Wales had a savvy veteran in the scrum. But watch that again -- I just skimmed through the first half again -- and Wales regularly commits more players to the ruck than Ireland does. It looks like Wales went in determined to win the breakdown at all costs, while Ireland went in with a less aggressive policy with regard to the ruck. So that's going to account for a number of the turnovers and even some penalties.

But where Wales should be worried -- and Gatland did himself no favors by claiming Ireland played no rugby and were totally narrow -- is that if Ireland were that poor, Wales should have closed that game out much more comfortably. But they were within a few scant inches of giving it away when Cronin took three Welsh players over the line on his own (with Nathan Hines getting in after they were already over). You'd think three muscly and super-fit Welshman could stop one little Irish replacement hooker from making a meter.

And a quick squiz at the stats: Ireland had 34 more passes, 46 more runs, 42 more running meters, won 140 of 144 of their own rucks (Wales won 94 of 98), and had one more defender beaten. Ireland lost none of their own scrums and won one Welsh scrum, missed one fewer tackle that Wales, and only lost one lineout to Wales' four. Wales even turned over two more possessions than Ireland.

Wales did have five more offloads, but where they won the game was on penalties -- Ireland gave up a scandalous 14 to Wales' eight, and a lot of that comes down to how Joubert refs the breakdown.

So Ireland apparently played poorly and narrowly, when they played at all. Gatland says they play no rugby, despite more passes and more running meters. But if Wales cut it that close when Ireland is playing that poorly with better stats, Wales better hope Halfpenny stays healthy, because his capitalizing on opposition penalties was the difference on the scoreboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.