• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodfun

Bob McCowan (2)
For the record, 2 players from Griffith Blacks are playing for the phantoms (the coach is the assistant first grade coach), several other Blacks players wanted to come over including one very notable #8 to which the ex Griffith Coach said "no" it was not right. So to say the Phantoms was the Griff Blacks #2 team is both stupid and lacks knowledge. Obviously you have jumped on the band wagon with the Daily Advertiser and their very loose use of facts when writing about Leeton, ie the king hit article.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
any more updates on the Coota New Competition Model for 2016 ?
The Yabbies had a meeting the other night but haven't heard the outcome from it

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

Nothing major to come out of it, i think we'll hear more about this after the GF. @nipnipnip might be able to shed some light on this though.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)

Many positive and negative points were made about the possibility of a new comp. No real decision was made, more so a list of topics that would need to be addressed by SIRU/Brumbies. More light will be shed once the clubs know what they are dealing with come November I would assume.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Finals Week Two Preview:

The Premier Division sees the Steamers holding court at Fortress Murrayfield this weekend to five games while Reddies kick off their day today with all grades in with a shot at the title and will want to paint Conolly Park red and get as many positive results as they can.

Next week will see Leeton Phantoms host the Premier Division games and the Young Yabbies host the First Division.

PREMIER DIVISION:

1st Grade:

Major Semi Final – Albury v Leeton, Murrayfield @ 3:30pm; Referee: S Donelan

Home ground advantage is always a good thing, particularly in a Major Semi Final and this game will be one that the Steamers will be happy to approach at home, their last home game for 2015.

The Steamers have been playing some handy footy this year and they come up against a Phantoms outfit that had a stellar first 40mins against Tumut last weekend where they blew the Bulls off the park from the outset. If Leeton can start tomorrow like they did last week; that will be a step in the right direction for them for sure.

Albury have long prided themselves on their set-piece to set a platform for the game and I reckon this area of the game will be a key for both teams this weekend as they look to gain advantage wherever they can. The likes of Tyron Fagan, Aaran MacDougall, Dan Patu and Joe Kafoa-Penne are all big strong lads who love the tight stuff.

Quality is the best adjective to describe the Albury backline; crispness of passing and a turn of pace are keys to their game plan through the backs. They’ll be up against the Phantoms backline who enjoy the contact space and who also have some wheels in some key positions. It will be interesting to see how Farrell Moata and Lex Botha handle each other after their rep experience together.

Stuart Dyer has proven himself to be a tactical rugby mind and his impact on the game will assist Leeton greatly. Dyer will need to be on top of his game in an effort to outsmart the likes of Richard Manion and James Olds.

It’s one a piece in the regular season, who will progress straight to the GF from here?

Keep an eye out for: James Olds v Stuart Dyer and Tyron Fagan v Dan Patu

Minor Semi Final – Tumut v Waratahs, Murrayfield @ 1:50pm; Referee: M Ryan

These two teams have proven to be slow starters in recent weeks, I wonder if they will play that style tomorrow? If they do, it will make for a frenetic pace in the second half and a belter of a half-time spray from their coaches!

The Bulls will be looking at the positives from last week, their scrum was solid and will allow them to set a strong base to this game. TJ Sala bustling through the centres was a wrecking ball and would be a valuable addition to the starting XV, particularly for his broken play running.

Waratahs did enough to get past Griffith but I’m confident that Coach Mitchell will want more from his troops this weekend. There is an opportunity for Waratahs to improve on their attacking strategy as Griffith were able to score some easy yards out wide following some sloppy long range kicking – Tumut have the ability to exploit these mistakes if Waratahs go down that path.

For me, the forwards battle for these two teams is pretty even; both teams possess some handy scrummagers and scavengers and both are mobile. The backlines have their positives and negatives, Tumut have a class #10 in Tino Manualevo and some options out wide while Waratahs have strong ball runners in Tim Corcoran and snipers like Steve Tracey.

Finals hangovers for both teams is a risk, Tumut need to bounce back from what would have been a pretty exhausting match last week and Waratahs need to build on their performances in recent weeks. Either way, this game will showcase tough, uncompromising defence and solid forward play. The recent wet weather may hamper any expansive game plans.

Keep an eye out for: TJ Sala v Tim Corcoran and Tim Graham v James Daly

2nd Grade:

Major Semi Final – Hay v Waratahs, Murrayfield @ 12:20pm; Referee: P Dean

The star-studded Hay Cutters roll into Albury this weekend to take on the up and coming Waratahs in what should be a very handy game of footy. “Pick and drive” is the style of play that suits Hay the most as they have a very strong and experienced forward pack who can mix it with the best of them. Waratahs will need to work hard in this game and will need to exploit Hay’s vulnerabilities as they arrive. Rums on Friday night anyone?

Minor Semi Final – Leeton v Tumut, Greenfield Park @ 12noon; Referee: M Harris

This game will be tight, both teams play a traditional style of footy which revolves around inside runners trucking it through the middle before giving it out wider to the younger team members to run around the older blokes. Did Leeton have a 5/8 playing at Loosehead Prop on the weekend?

3rd Grade:

Qualifying Final – Griffith v Ag College, Murrayfield @ 11:15am; Referee: T Reneker

Griffith were in it ‘til the death last week in the closest match of the day but I wonder if that will have an effect on them this weekend? Will the younger Aggies be able to play a wider style of game this weekend to test the Blacks?

Women’s:

Qualifying Final – Ag College v Waratahs, Conolly Park #2 @ 2:30pm; Referee: M Dwyer

This game will be a genuine highlight and will feature two teams who have the ability to throw the ball around. The younger Waratahs team may have the edge in terms of pace, however Aggies will match that with experience at the breakdown.

FIRST DIVISION:

1st Grade:

Major Semi Final – CSU v Wagga City, Conolly Park #1 @ 3:50pm; Referee: B Reynolds

Will the Reddies juggernaut roll on this weekend? Have Wagga City started to hit their straps? How will CSU react to their recent time off? Will Sterling Ross play this weekend following his GF win with the Ungarie Magpies?

The Boiled Lollies actually have a reasonably handy backline with a good combination of youth and speed mixed with the guiding hands of some more senior players. CSU are in a similar position, being guided round the park by the mercurial Paul Hood who is backed up by some pace out wide and some solid mid-fielders.

Reddies have managed to maintain a solid presence in their forward pack this year with no real standouts other than the likes of Dean Smart at #7 whose strength is his ball carrying ability and his position over the ball. Props haven’t been their strength in recent years but they do have the makings of some stalwarts in Crawford and Sutton in the front row.

James Curgenven has a strong kicking game which worked well for the Boiled Lollies last week, but I’m not sure if this is the right style to play against a CSU team that love to play attacking rugby. Reddies enjoy throwing the ball around and will likely respond well to any loose kicks to their back three.

Honestly, both these teams are well matched and this has the potential to be a Grand Final Preview. Based on how City played last week, their preparation has been solid for this game but I’m sure that Reddies have been training hard in recent weeks too!

Keep an eye out for: Dean Smart and Jesse Uhr

Minor Semi Final – Young v Temora, Conolly Park #1 @ 2:10pm; Referee: L Gunn

There’s nothing like a local derby during the finals to spark some interest in the local rugby community! These two teams have been neck and neck all season but this weekend will sort out who’s who.

Temora traditionally play to their strong defensive structure but when they get some momentum, they have proven hard to stop and they should take confidence out of their recent form against teams like Wagga City. If Temora can provide support to their strong ball runners, they have the ability to make this an attacking feature.

The Yabbie’s strength is playing to the likes of Rory Sheard’s style of play and quick thinking to combine with some pace out wide in Corey Randall and Sam Bunny through the middle. A more consistent team performance will play into their favour.

Although the Yabbies probably have the wood over Temora this season, both teams know they have the ability to get up this weekend and will be keen to take that next step up the finals ladder!

Keep an eye out for: Rory Sheard and Campbell Maxwell

2nd Grade:

Major Semi Final – Wagga City v CSU, Conolly Park #1 @ 12noon; Referee: M Del Gigante

Another Red v White derby which details the player depth that these two clubs have. I haven’t seen much of these two teams this year but the Wagga City team played pretty well last weekend. Both teams will be keen to step straight into the GF from this game.

Minor Semi Final – Deniliquin v Cootamundra, Conolly Park #2 @ 1:00pm; Referee: M Lotz

There have been some comments flying around about the Tri-Colours following a stellar 2nd Grade performance last week but let’s focus on this game this week. The Deni Drovers are a tough outfit and will approach this game as any other however will likely have their work cut out for themselves up against what will be a pretty handy Cootamundra outfit.

3rd Grade:

Qualifying Final – CSU v Wagga City, Conolly Park #1 @ 11:00am; Referee: J Martel

The first of a few of these games today and should be a pretty even contest from what I’ve seen in recent weeks, getting those old bodies warmed up for the early start may be a challenge for these two teams. ;)

Women’s:

Qualifying Final – CSU v Temora, Conolly Park #1 @ 1:30pm; Referee: G Trope

The CSU women’s team is enthusiastic at the ball with some pace outside the midfield which allows them to play an expansive brand of footy at times. Temora play a more forward oriented game style with runners through the middle of the field and are quite handy at getting that roll on which can be difficult to stop.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I can't see Tumut bouncing back from that big Loss last saturday to Leeton in Wagga.
The Bulls looked tired and dis interested in the first half & I reckon they peaked a couple of weeks ago with Wins over Waratahs & Leeton at Home
I reckon Albury will be chomping at the bit tomorrow and Leeton will find life a lot tougher tomorrow at Murrayfield
Griff to win 3rds and hay to win 2nds at Albury Tomorrow

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Pretty poor article in the DA Today Re; SIRU Finals- still flogging stories on Rambo Lagaali - Yawn Yawn
the Rugby Union coverage has been very ordinary in the DA this year-

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Reddies juggernaut? Hardly a juggernaut when they are playing in the plastic cup I would have thought.
Waratahs to beat Tumut.
Albury to beat Griffith. Sorry Leeton. My mistake.
City to beat CSU
Temora to beat Young.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Finals Week Two Results:

PREMIER DIVISION:
First Grade:
Albury 85 bt Leeton 17
Waratahs 35 bt Tumut 29

Second Grade:
Hay 27 bt Waratahs 17
Leeton 22 bt Tumut 19

Third Grade:
Griffith 32 bt Ag College 7

Women's:
TBA

FIRST DIVISION:
First Grade:
CSU 29 bt City 20
Temora 34 bt Young 17

Second Grade:
TBA

Third Grade:
TBA

Women's:
TBA

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Reddies juggernaut? Hardly a juggernaut when they are playing in the plastic cup I would have thought.
Waratahs to beat Tumut.
Albury to beat Griffith. Sorry Leeton. My mistake.
City to beat CSU
Temora to beat Young.
Whilst Reddies might be playing in Romano's Cup it would be an interesting debate to see if they get more out of that than say Aggies would have playing in W&B.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Whilst Reddies might be playing in Romano's Cup it would be an interesting debate to see if they get more out of that than say Aggies would have playing in W&B.
The Aggies would have gained substantially more playing against quality opposition week in week out, than the reddies playing against significantly weaker clubs. Surely you learn more about where you're at as a club playing against the best? Aggies are on the rise and improved, whilst the reddies are where they belong and can possibly book a place in the Romanos Cup for at least a few years to come yet.

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
The Aggies would have gained substantially more playing against quality opposition week in week out, than the reddies playing against significantly weaker clubs. Surely you learn more about where you're at as a club playing against the best? Aggies are on the rise and improved, whilst the reddies are where they belong and can possibly book a place in the Romanos Cup for at least a few years to come yet.
Yep you're right, nothing says on the rise more than 101-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Week 2 Finals Results at 'Murrayfield', Albury

Premier Division

1st Grade;

Major Semi Final - Albury 85 d Leeton 17

Minor Semi Final - Wagga Waratahs 35 d Tumut 29

2nd Grade;

Major Semi Final - Hay 27 d Waratahs 17

Minor Semi Final - Leeton 22 d Tumut 19

3rd Grade;

Qualifying Final - Griffith 32 d Wagga Ag College 7

SIRU Week 2 Finals Results at Conolly Rugby Complex, Wagga

1st Division

1st Grade;

Major Semi Final - CSU 29 d Wagga City 20

Minor Semi Final - Temora 34 d Young 17

2nd Grade;

Major Semi Final - Wagga City 39 d CSU 38

Minor Semi Final - Cootamundra 27 d Deniliquin 19

Women's 7-A-Side ;

Qualifying Final - CSU 32 d Temora 17

Qualifying Final - Wagga Ag College 25 d Wagga Waratahs 19

3rd Grade;

Qualifying Final- CSU 29 d Wagga City 27 (after extra time)

NEXT SATURDAY (SEP 5)

WEEK 3 PRELIMINARY FINALS AT No. 1 Oval, Leeton

PREMIER DIVISION

1st Grade;

Preliminary Final- Leeton v Wagga Waratahs

2nd Grade;

Preliminary Final- Wagga Waratahs v Leeton

3rd Grade

Preliminary Final - Wagga Waratahs v Griffith

Women's 7-A-Side;

Preliminary Final- Leeton v Wagga Ag College

WEEK 3 PRELIMINARY FINALS AT Cranfield Oval, Young

1st DIVISION

1st Grade;

Preliminary Final- Wagga City v Temora

2nd Grade;

Preliminary Final- CSU v Cootamundra

3rd Grade

Preliminary Final- Junee v CSU

Women's 7-A-Side;

Preliminary Final- Wagga City v CSU

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Yep you're right, nothing says on the rise more than 101-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty obvious that 101 was nothing more than Albury, in Albury, with all recruits available, in back end of season. Just like it was with griffith90+ and Leeton 85 yesterday!!!

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
@alwaysRugby
I'd be focusing in the long term future of CSU. When 99.9% of students play for Ag College regardless of what they are studying, there has to be questions asked. Or perhaps you could go to your earlier plan of filling out the roster with overseas imports?? Yep that's sustainable. Try and get back to your roots, the students. Although, I think the horse has well and truly bolted.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Went to Albury yesterday and saw a very good Team play
The players & supporters can order the champagne now because Albury can't lose this year's Grand Final
Waratahs weren't that impressive against Waratahs so who is going to stop the Steamers
Good to see the Hay Cutters make it throught to the 2nds Grand Fianl

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)

The "Reddies Juggernaut" rolling on well i see. 3rd grade have pulled out of the remainder of the season. Gifting a re-run to City.
Real show of strength for the CSU boys hey.

Probably shows how much they've gained playing finals in the Romanos Cup!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.