• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If league didn't exist I still have plenty of other sports to follow. No real biggie.

Not bagging union, but in Australia it has not appeared to want to grow into markets outside certain demographics.

but you are right about unions success internationally, it has done well in this regard.

TBH if rugby had been serious from the get go, league would never exist in the first place. Not in northern towns not anywhere.

Union has so much potential but agree never really been marketed as mass market game and change is needed to win wider appeal. Some change starting to accelerate over the years but too slow imo.

A lot of union traditionalists are resistant to change. Sports like cricket have reinvented themselves to win wider appeal and compete for fans....union still evolving out of its amateur days imo....

Doesn't have the quality of administrators that League, AFL and A-League have. Pity David Gallop did not come to union instead of taking over the A-League.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Chiefs have picked up Warriors fullback/ wing Glen Fisiiahi. Good player but has had a few injury issues. Played union at Wesley College (Jonah Lomu et al) with Gus Pulu so has some kinda pedigree in our game. Will play ITM for Counties-Manukau.

Same article says Stephen Donald could be back in Mooloo colours this year & Chiefs next.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...en-fisiiahi-signs-for-super-rugby-side-chiefs

Good signing by the Chiefs.. The Fish has never really had an extended run without injury. Good for a few clumsy mistakes but some good coaching and he could be a great winger. Could be an option for the 7s team also, has a lot of speed. Would easily burn any of Australias outside backs :(

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From Tonga's RWC Squad announcement on Planet Rugby.

Curiously Tonga have named just 30 players, rather than the 31 allowed at this year's World Cup following the introduction of eight-man benches. The 31st player is expected to be named later this week with rugby league player Andrew Fifita have been linked to a code switch earlier this week.

T

TOCC

Pretty glad the ARU didn't sign Andrew Fifita, the bloke seems like a bit of a drama queen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah let's pick someone who literally doesn't jump in the lineout in a pack we want to do Pooper with and Skelton is apart of.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
And before you say that Palu does that too, I'll just watch a Palu highlights clip!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Matt Duffie (melbourne storm) has accepted a two year deal with the Auckland Blues. After watching his botched try effort last night, the blues can have him.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was some idle talk that Aussie 7's would be targeting players from other codes and sports for Rio Olympics. To a degree this has been successful in the Women's 7's team although I can't recall if any female loig players have been enticed to the call of the Gold, Rio Gold.

With less than a year to go to Rio, it looks like the last rolls of the dice have been rolled for consideration for the Mens Rugby 7's squad for Rio following the recent development tour to NZ and the Development team being announced for the Central Coast 7's. Looks like no loig players are willing to get out of their comfort zone, and terminate their NRL club contracts to have a tilt at Olympic Gold.

Who should Aussie 7's have been targeting from NRL, and would they have realistically been interested in the Olympic dream?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There was some idle talk that Aussie 7's would be targeting players from other codes and sports for Rio Olympics. To a degree this has been successful in the Women's 7's team although I can't recall if any female loig players have been enticed to the call of the Gold, Rio Gold.

With less than a year to go to Rio, it looks like the last rolls of the dice have been rolled for consideration for the Mens Rugby 7's squad for Rio following the recent development tour to NZ and the Development team being announced for the Central Coast 7's. Looks like no loig players are willing to get out of their comfort zone, and terminate their NRL club contracts to have a tilt at Olympic Gold.

Who should Aussie 7's have been targeting from NRL, and would they have realistically been interested in the Olympic dream?

There was a story not so long ago about the Women's team poaching a player from the Jillaroo's.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

In terms of who we should be looking to poach. My answer is no one. If any want in they should come to us and prove they are a better option than those we have now. I'd rather look at some of the young blokes from the NRC. Perese from Qld Country would be at the top of my list upon his recovery.

T

TOCC

I think there are a couple of league players in the women's team, there's definitely a few with touch football backgrounds

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think there are a couple of league players in the women's team, there's definitely a few with touch football backgrounds

I can tell you all of the female union girls either have a history of rep touch footy or oztag, with a lot of them playing both.

Know Emma tonegato the fast blonde girl that wears the headgear has a league background too