• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's the fastest growing participation sport in the country. And the crowds at elite events (Vegas 7's, test matches etc) have grown considerably over the past few years. They are a potential medal winner at the Olympics in both mens and women's 7's and the 15's team is not that far away from being able to compete with top teams. It's not just potential, rugby actually has some momentum in the US.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
As you may know, the Wallabies will be based at the famous University of Notre Dame in Indiana during most of their time in the USA pre heading to England for the RWC.

Notre Dame is the home of the almost-as-famous moniker the Fighting Irish as describes all their sporting teams including of course their great football team.

What is most interesting is the history of Notre Dame's Rugby Club, that I for one did not know existed, and here is its history and current description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Rugby_Football_Club

and the Club's own website:

http://rugby.nd.edu

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone know how many tickets have been sold to Soldier Field?

You can see on the map here:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/usa-rug...go-illinois-09-05-2015/event/04004EB4D1052F11

Hard to know just looking at the map but maybe something like 20k.

The big two tiered stand over the west sideline has never had anything on sale so don't confuse that part as being sold out. There's also some big chunks of seats with a faded blue colour with yellow padlocks in the middle - these are discounted seats for various promotions that have yet to be sold (though if they do all get sold it'll make a big difference). There seems to have been a pick up in sales over the last few days. Hopefully with the Wallabies and Eagles promoting it in Chicago for a week they can get to 35-40k.

Chicago Rugby Fan

Frank Row (1)
September 5th Rugby Game Pre-Game & Post-Game Party Central – To All Rugby Fans coming to Soldier Field for the USA Rugby Eagles vs. the Australian Wallabies sponsored by Astellas, join fellow fans at RUGBY party central going on at the MOTOR ROW CRAFT BEER & WINE FESTIVAL. Only 4 blocks east of Soldier Field, the event runs Saturday & Sunday, September 5-6, from 1:00PM to 10:00PM Daily. Come before or come after the game, and be at Soldier Field in a few minutes via the 18th Street Soldier Field pedestrian bridge. You can take the Cermak Station or Roosevelt Road CTA Station to get off for the Festival and rugby game. Included with your pre-purchased general admission ticket is (15) samples of beer or wine, souvenir tasting glass, access to live music, seating and more! Additional full size craft beers, wine, and blended cocktails are available for purchase. And, being a Chicago street fest, there will also be plenty of food, live music, arts & crafts and more. Some of the best craft beer & wine makers at the event include: • Around the Bend Beer Co. • Atlas Brewing Company • Baderbräu Beer • Brickstone Brewery • Cahoots Brewing • Illuminated Brew Works • Maplewood Brewery & Distillery • Motor Row Brewing, • Noon Whistle Brewing • Rude Hippo Brewing Company • Surly Brewing Company • Ten Ninety BreweryUrban Legend Brewing Company • Vice District Brewing Company • Chloe Wine Collection • Flip Flop Cans • Slow Press • Insurrection Wine • 13Celsius • Save Me, San Francisco • Cocobon For more information, go to http://www.chicagoevents.com/event.cfm?eid=330

bshenanigan

Frank Row (1)
September 5th Rugby Game Pre-Game & Post-Game Party Central – To All Rugby Fans coming to Soldier Field for the USA Rugby Eagles vs. the Australian Wallabies sponsored by Astellas, join fellow fans at RUGBY party central going on at the MOTOR ROW CRAFT BEER & WINE FESTIVAL. Only 4 blocks east of Soldier Field, the event runs Saturday & Sunday, September 5-6, from 1:00PM to 10:00PM Daily. Come before or come after the game, and be at Soldier Field in a few minutes via the 18th Street Soldier Field pedestrian bridge. You can take the Cermak Station or Roosevelt Road CTA Station to get off for the Festival and rugby game. Included with your pre-purchased general admission ticket is (15) samples of beer or wine, souvenir tasting glass, access to live music, seating and more! Additional full size craft beers, wine, and blended cocktails are available for purchase. And, being a Chicago street fest, there will also be plenty of food, live music, arts & crafts and more. Some of the best craft beer & wine makers at the event include: • Around the Bend Beer Co. • Atlas Brewing Company • Baderbräu Beer • Brickstone Brewery • Cahoots Brewing • Illuminated Brew Works • Maplewood Brewery & Distillery • Motor Row Brewing, • Noon Whistle Brewing • Rude Hippo Brewing Company • Surly Brewing Company • Ten Ninety BreweryUrban Legend Brewing Company • Vice District Brewing Company • Chloe Wine Collection • Flip Flop Cans • Slow Press • Insurrection Wine • 13Celsius • Save Me, San Francisco • Cocobon For more information, go to http://www.chicagoevents.com/event.cfm?eid=330

How many GAGR folks will be at the game?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
FoxSports 2 has Wallabies v USA from 9AM Eastern then I assume game time is 0930 through to 1130

I don't see any rugby listed on Channel Ten's online guide for morning of 6th September. Looks like FTA people get stiffed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Do we know who the additional travelling wilburies, I mean Wallabies are? Sam Carter one. I assume James Hanson is another?

From the G&GR article on the front page:
Sam Carter, David Dennis, Tetera Faulkner, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill, Samu Kerevi, Christian Lealiifano, Taqele Naiyaravoro and Nic White.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The US lost 24-19 to Harlequins this morning. The Eagles weren't quite at full strength and had a match squad of 28 so there must have been a lot of subs and experimenting (from Harlequins too). Not a bad result for them though really as Harlequins have some good players and some of the Americans are amateur/semi-pro.

Tipping Wallabies by 30 this weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the G&GR article on the front page:
Sam Carter, David Dennis, Tetera Faulkner, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill, Samu Kerevi, Christian Lealiifano, Taqele Naiyaravoro and Nic White.

It has been stated that only a couple of them travelled with the squad and the rest will stay in Australia to play NRC.

Not sure which ones yet though.

Edit: it might only be Sam Carter who has travelled to the USA. Haven't had confirmation of anyone else.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
It has been stated that only a couple of them travelled with the squad and the rest will stay in Australia to play NRC.

Not sure which ones yet though.

Edit: it might only be Sam Carter who has travelled to the USA. Haven't had confirmation of anyone else.

Hanson and Carter flew out after Carter's NRC game. There is talk of Moore being rested. Not sure why Carter is going.... you'd think they'd want to give as much game time as they can to that 2nd row group.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
FoxSports 2 has Wallabies v USA from 9AM Eastern then I assume game time is 0930 through to 1130

I don't see any rugby listed on Channel Ten's online guide for morning of 6th September. Looks like FTA people get stiffed.
Wallabies just posted on Facebook that we'll be able to watch it in Fox Sports. No mention of FTA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a proper capped test is it not? Doesn't that mean that whichever channel has the rights, has to show it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not in an official test window so there isn't the requirement that it is on FTA under the anti-siphoning rules.

It's the same as the final EOYT test in 2013 and 2014 where we played an extra match outside the test window and it wasn't broadcast on FTA.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ah ok. I thought it was all proper test matches (i.e. not including friendlies or exhibition matches) but if it is only within the test windows then fair play.

Status
Not open for further replies.