• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If Taqele's going to be there anyway, im thinking might as well chuck him on the bench and lock him in. He could be quality option in a couple years time and he'll probably dominate in a game like this.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Folau can play in this one, we need his promotion but rest him vs Uruguay.

No way, Folau is the number one fullback with daylight second. Not sure a coach would risk injury to a key player before a RWC just for promotional purposes.

Chuck in Cooper, Beale and Speight - they will have a field day with lower opposition.

There should be 2 reasons to select players for this game.
1. They are in need of time. (Genia, Simmons, Horne)
2. To fill the gaps while resting key players.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No way, Folau is the number one fullback with daylight second. Not sure a coach would risk injury to a key player before a RWC just for promotional purposes.

Chuck in Cooper, Beale and Speight - they will have a field day with lower opposition.

There should be 2 reasons to select players for this game.
1. They are in need of time. (Genia, Simmons, Horne)
2. To fill the gaps while resting key players.

3. To cap Alphabet before Fiji does

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
From memory, when the AB's played the Eagles in Chicago last year, a number of the superstars at the time (SBW is the first name that springs to mind) were contracted to play. SBW played about 60 mins.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This USA game is interesting from a strategic point of view.
Does Cheika select a team of players who need resting/a run, or does he select his 'A' team that they can establish combinations?
My impression is that we will choose the latter option. Why?
For three reasons. There has been a three week break since the second Bledisloe test - plenty of time for players to recuperate and so don't need resting. Also the coach has employed Side A verse Side B games at training, plus some very physical training, so he would feel players like Palu & Douglas would be much more up to speed now.
And he as coach would realize that it is now time to get the 'A' team gelling as a unit, and you need games for that.
This USA game gives him that, plus the opportunity against a 2nd tier side (no disrespect intended to USA, but facts are facts) to determine if any of the 'A' players haven't got it.
An example of this may be Quade Cooper. Potentially the best flyhalf the Wallabies have, but has those missing moments, as well as not having played a lot of rugby. So he has first half of this game and Foley has second half (along with respective combination halves, Genea and Phipps).
The coaches would have achieved a lot of insight when comparing players versing each other in mock games on the training paddock. You don't have to be Einstein to get to know which player is better than which for each position.

So in my humble opinion (IMHO), the 1st XV side playing USA plays Fiji, England, and Wales.
The finishers will change between games.
For the reasons stated, this is the team I see selected by Cheika:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons (assumed fit)
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ashley-Cooper
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folua

16. Hansen
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McMahon
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Beale

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tend to think we'll name neither the A nor B side. It will be a mix of both with some key players rested and the three additional members of the touring party all named somewhere in the 23.

As Scoey said, there's likely to be a couple of high profile players like Folau who are required to play if healthy.

I'd be surprised if our starting XV for this game is particularly close to any of our starting XVs at the RWC.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I expect our first choice backline for combinations.

In the pack I wouldn't expect many of the certain starters (Kepu, Moore, Hooper, Pocock, Fardy) but the guys like Douglas, Polota-Nau, Palu, McMahon to get game time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure Larkham has already come out in the media and said he wouldn't risk key players against USA. However some players returning from injury are in need of game-time - Simmons, Genia, Douglas.

They will start their preffered side against Fiji, or the same side they plan on playing England and play a entirely different 15 against Uruguay.

Can't remember where I read it, or watched it otherwise I would attach the source.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
This USA game is interesting from a strategic point of view.
Does Cheika select a team of players who need resting/a run, or does he select his 'A' team that they can establish combinations?
My impression is that we will choose the latter option.

I don't think he will play his A team for a few reasons.

Playing USA is like playing against an NRC team, the Wallabies opposed training would be far more beneficial for combination development. Why risk injury.

Most teams seem to be very wary of disclosing their best team/combinations/tactics anyway. For the Wallabies in particular they don't have the 4 year preparation other teams have, they need to keep their best team a surprise to some extent.

Many Wallabies players have played more Super rugby this year than their Allblack/springbok contemporaries and really just need a break, e.g Hooper, Folau, Kepu.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only issue I see with this game is the halves... given we do not know who the first choice combo's are, so we may see some more experimentation.

Cheika might already have prefferred combo down but then whether he chooses to play them to build the combination or rest them until Fiji is another judgement call he will have to make.

Otherwise I think its pretty straight forward. Rest all the key players, only play the ones who need game time and the fill the rest with second string players.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was thinking the same thing about the halves. I won't be surprised if we see one combo start and the other combo play the second half. Here's what I reckon.

1. Smith
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. McCalman - C
7. McMahon
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. Beale
13. Horne
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Carter
20. Mumm
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. Naya..

It could be 13. Speight 14. Horne too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like it too... But I'd start Mitchell at fullback. It would be handy for a backup fullback to get game time and I wouldn't risk Folau.

No way I'd play Moore or TPN this game - risking an injury before the RWC to one of these guys is crazy. Def start Hanson and maybe give Sio some time off the bench at Hooker.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I like it too. But I'd start Mitchell at fullback. It would be handy for a backup fullback to get game time and I wouldn't risk Folau.

No way I'd play Moore or TPN this game - risking an injury before the RWC to one of these guys is crazy. Def start Hanson and maybe give Sio some time off the bench at Hooker.

I'd agree with all of that. I just get the feeling from the preceding posts that Folau is being used as a bit of a drawcard. Ideally I'd have Mitchell at 15 too. They'd have to name TPN on the bench to be compliant but yes they could run Sio at hooker, in fact it would be wise to do so.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
That makes sense. Hansen's probably there for just that reason.

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's all very well to say we should rest all our top line players but we do need to win and win well. Watching the Eagles against Harlequins on the weekend showed that they are quite capable. Their set piece is solid and they have some good X facta in the backs. Where they were vulnerable was at the breakdown.
We all know what happened last time we started McCalman at 7.....so that is out. I would say that one of Hooper or Pocock must be in the 23 and McMahon as well. Fardy can take a break and I wouldn't risk Palu. If Higgers is there play him.

6.Higgers
7.McMahon
8. McCalman

Hooper on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.