• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Round 3: Rays vs Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rising Team named:

1. Fereti Sa’aga (Melbourne Uni, 4 Rising caps)
2. Pat Leafa (Box Hill & Rebels, 11 Rising caps)
3. Duncan Chubb (Southern Districts (NSW), 2 Rising caps)
4. Murray Douglas (Harlequin, 2 Rising caps)
5. Steve Cummins (Harlequin & Rebels, 2 Rising caps)
6. Jordy Reid (Melbourne & Rebels, 2 Rising caps)
7. Scott Fuglistaller (Moorabbin & Rebels, 2 Rising caps) (Captain)
8. Colby Fainga’a (Footscray & Rebels, 2 Rising caps)
9. Ben Meehan (Box Hill & Rebels, 5 Rising caps)
10. Jack Debreczeni (Endeavour Hills & Rebels, 11 Rising caps)
11. Stacey Ili (Melbourne Uni, 1 Rising cap)
12. Lloyd Johansson (Harlequin, 11 Rising caps)
13. Leo Taliu (Harlequin, 2 Rising cap)
14. Justin Marsters (Harlequin, 1 Rising cap)
15. Jonah Placid (Melbourne Uni & Rebels, 9 Rising caps)
16. Mitch Andrews (Melbourne, 1 Rising cap)
17. Tom Moloney (Brothers) *
18. Matt Onesemo (Melbourne Uni, 1 Rising cap)
19. Sam Jeffries (Melbourne Uni & Rebels, 10 Rising caps)
20. Pom Simona (Harlequin, 10 Rising caps)
21. Maradona Farao (Harlequin, 1 Rising cap)
22. Sione Tuipulotu (Southern Districts, 2 Rising caps)
23. Filipe Vilitati (Box Hill, 1 Rising cap)
Tom Moloney has been brought down from Queensland, Bahbahs players miss again give the short break, with Big Fereti starting for the first time.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like Mike Tyler has been given a 'rest'. The front row got pumped last weekend, so probably a chance to try some new blood.

Can any of our banana bending friends tell us more about Tom Moloney?

As Mr W pointed out earlier, I'm surprised to see that Jonah recovered from a decent head knock to back up for this weekend. Nice one.

Other than that, not too many surprises for me. Nice to see another Mexican lad getting a start in the front row.

Dene

Frank Nicholson (4)
The option to view the stream isn't appearing on the Fox Sports on demand site, for me.

Anyone having this problem?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Josh Holmes' flat pass is working wonders.

Correct you cannot stream the Thursday night game although it will work on Foxtel Go/Play platforms.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
rising leading by 24 at the half 40 - 16.

it would seem Placid got knocked out again in the opening play

T

TOCC

rising leading by 24 at the half 40 - 16.

it would seem Placid got knocked out again in the opening play

Was he knocked out last week as well?

That'll be a couple of weeks forced rest if he has been knocked out twice in two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
8 points per converted try. Scores certainly increase quickly, and teams can catch up pretty quickly.

20 points seems to be the minimum safe margin.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Got away with that one.

They got one back in the 2nd half, then we kept trying to force the ball, which eventually got us a try, but gave up another 2 against.

Thought the 1st half was good in general, 2nd half poor, Shield backs played well, but obviously all had a couple of poor things too (Ili kept overrunning the ball, the 13 is a little bit defensively suspect, Marsters offloading wasn't great, Vilitati handling).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah far too many pushed passes from the Rising
Still a lot of upside with the BaaBaa's players and Timani &
AhNau to come back.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Very impressed with the Rising's structure in attack in the first half. Things started to go bad for them when they changed their approach and started kicking the ball in the second half.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Just watch the replay.

WAY TO GIVE ME A FUCKING HEART ATTACK!

Don't know if it was the silly card for Lloyd, the conditions or some apathy that almost lost it for us. Perhaps a combination of those elements.
Regardless, we have the chocolates. Good work team.

Backrow humming, good midfield defense, some decent wheels out wide and JD kicking well. Few lineout worries and I think we got stiffed in a few Scrums. what's nice to know is we have about 5 Super Rugby players coming back - things can only get better from here.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
JD motm for me. Think he threw the last pass for every Rising try except Meehan's and his own, but also threw the second last pass for Angus' try for the Rays. Mostly, a good kicking game, except for about 15 minutes in the second half when the Rising seemed intent of gifting possession to the Rays at any cost. But his game management is very good and he can break the defence himself or set up a support to do it.

Colby was immense also, and Ili really looks the goods out wide.

Rising will be there when the whips are cracking I believe.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Scrum was solid when he was on, yes. The problem for me is we're playing Duncan Chubb out of position. He is clearly a more natural LHP and looked more comfortable there when Ferti was subbed off. There is the old adage that the first position you pic is THP, so I hope we can get this sorted soon enough. The new guy from Brothers RC looked fairly handy night, despite a questionable scrum collapse call against the pack in the 2nd half.

Putting my Rebels hat on, I am very excited about Rycee Hodge. Looked really good last night, composed run/kick game and opened a few holes when Lloyd was cooling his heals. He might have a few sore bones after getting bounced by Vilatiti early in the second (I saw the favor was returned a few minutes later).

I hope Jonah isn't seeing stars this morning. The weeks break will probably do his recover wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.