• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Couple of things.

1. AIG promoted the daylight a out of last years game. They were the ones who guaranteed the ABs the $1m appearance fee. They wanted to recoup that investment. Our game hasn't received the same level of promotion.

2. Houston has a surprising large Rugby community. Particularly at the youth level. Chicago does not. I could give you half a dozen cities that would draw more than Chicago regardless of overall population.

Well AIG also sponsor the US Eagles so it'd be in their interests for this to be a success too. But most importantly they had a playbook that could have been replicated better, even if AIG didn't pay for all of it this time. There was demonstrated ROI.

And do you have actual playing numbers in Houston compared to Chicago? It'd be interesting to see. Chicago has a big population (almost 10 million in the greater metropolitan area) and is an event city with a heap of sports fans. This is the sort of thing that people would go to if they knew about it.

I think a good idea for a last ditch effort to get a big crowd would be to offer discounted tickets to all the Chicago Bears season ticket holders.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well AIG also sponsor the US Eagles so it'd be in their interests for this to be a success too. But most importantly they had a playbook that could have been replicated better, even if AIG didn't pay for all of it this time. There was demonstrated ROI.

And do you have actual playing numbers in Houston compared to Chicago? It'd be interesting to see. Chicago has a big population (almost 10 million in the great metropolitan area) and is an event city with a heap of sports fans. This is the sort of thing that people would go to if they knew about it.

Yes, AIG sponsor USARugby but they also invested heavily in last years game. That's not the case this time round. As for player numbers. I'll try to run down the bloke I know who's involved in the Texas Rugby Union. Like I said, they have very strong youth numbers.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Qantas USA are now offering a deal on tickets 35% off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently ticket sales have just reached 20k. Hopefully there is a substantial media and promotional blitz in Chicago on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday as low 20's will look bad.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, AIG sponsor USARugby but they also invested heavily in last years game. That's not the case this time round. As for player numbers. I'll try to run down the bloke I know who's involved in the Texas Rugby Union. Like I said, they have very strong youth numbers.

According to people in Chicago I've spoken to there's been no visible advertising from AIG. It's a shame. This is an American national team, about to go to the World Cup!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Bears had a bye week when the All Blacks played there last year.

The Bears are playing a pre season match at Soldier Field in a couple of days time this year - not a huge gap between them playing and the Wallabies match.

Could that be having an impact on crowd numbers? Are the sports fans already satiated?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Start TPN. He'll get injured and Hanson comes into squad.
Logic: better now than at training 2 days before playing Poms or Wales

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Really excited about this game. Hopefully we put forward a decent side aimed at scoring tries.

No injuries please

Northfleet

Frank Row (1)
Maybe the empty stadium comes down solely to marketing or lack of Wallaby brand recognition, but I think there is more to the story.

1. I believe that SA, Aus, Eng, or Ire (Americans love the Irish) would have sold out last Nov. The All Blacks beat everyone to the punch. I mean, a full strength Tier 1 team playing in a major US sporting venue…awesome! The ABs have clout, but hosting elite rugby players in Soldier Field was what drew the US rugby community out (see #2). There were NO casual sports fans at the game in Nov, only rugby fans.

2. People from all over the country traveled to the ABs game. You can’t expect ruggers to spend $500-$1000 again on sloppy-seconds. You are solely relying on the Midwest this time, and it is NOT a rugby hotbed. Wisconsin has some nice participation and Chicago has many clubs, but going to Soldier Field twice in one year is over-playing your hand. Sports fans don’t buy tickets to unfamiliar events (wishful thinking). Rugby is increasing in popularity, but is still a niche sport in the Midwest. I thought Denver, Philly, or San Francisco would have been better choices for a second go-round.

3. It is a 3-day weekend in the US this week. You could argue that is incentive for rugby people to travel to the game, but Americans made their plans before the Wallabies were on the calendar. As a Wallabies sympathizer I would love to see this game, but I am booked. This is the last weekend of 'summer break'. Winter is cold and snowy, so people are attending other events or have long-standing plans. Nothing major happens in early Nov, so it was the perfect time for a one-off rugby game.

On a side-note, Australians are overrating the celebrity of Jared Hayne. He is a great human-interest story during the doldrums of preseason. He had 1 week of press, but there are bigger stories in the NFL. He is, after all, a 3rd stringer at this point. He may be an amazing athlete, but he has not done anything jaw-dropping yet. #thrityjaredhaynes doesn’t mean much to Americans…might as well be #thirtyjamesstarks.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Maybe the empty stadium comes down solely to marketing or lack of Wallaby brand recognition, but I think there is more to the story.

1. I believe that SA, Aus, Eng, or Ire (Americans love the Irish) would have sold out last Nov. The All Blacks beat everyone to the punch. I mean, a full strength Tier 1 team playing in a major US sporting venue…awesome! The ABs have clout, but hosting elite rugby players in Soldier Field was what drew the US rugby community out (see #2). There were NO casual sports fans at the game in Nov, only rugby fans.

2. People from all over the country traveled to the ABs game. You can’t expect ruggers to spend $500-$1000 again on sloppy-seconds. You are solely relying on the Midwest this time, and it is NOT a rugby hotbed. Wisconsin has some nice participation and Chicago has many clubs, but going to Soldier Field twice in one year is over-playing your hand. Sports fans don’t buy tickets to unfamiliar events (wishful thinking). Rugby is increasing in popularity, but is still a niche sport in the Midwest. I thought Denver, Philly, or San Francisco would have been better choices for a second go-round.

3. It is a 3-day weekend in the US this week. You could argue that is incentive for rugby people to travel to the game, but Americans made their plans before the Wallabies were on the calendar. As a Wallabies sympathizer I would love to see this game, but I am booked. This is the last weekend of 'summer break'. Winter is cold and snowy, so people are attending other events or have long-standing plans. Nothing major happens in early Nov, so it was the perfect time for a one-off rugby game.

On a side-note, Australians are overrating the celebrity of Jared Hayne. He is a great human-interest story during the doldrums of preseason. He had 1 week of press, but there are bigger stories in the NFL. He is, after all, a 3rd stringer at this point. He may be an amazing athlete, but he has not done anything jaw-dropping yet. #thrityjaredhaynes doesn’t mean much to Americans…might as well be #thirtyjamesstarks.
Fuck that is depressing, even tho im not an aussie nor do I live in straylia.

Northfleet

Frank Row (1)
I was actually surprised the All Blacks played in Chicago. I didn't expect it to be as successful as it was. I barely crossed paths with anyone from the Midwest at the game. It was really quite amazing how many people came and how far they traveled.

I am not sure of the politics of the decision. Maybe the ARU pushed for Chicago?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyway. It's too late now to work about it. I assume that USARUGBY assumed it would be a slam dunk after the last game.

The game is live on TV in the USA and is closely followed by the RWC. It was a very genuine opportunity for USA Rugby to generate some further interest in the sport.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wallabies can't get a sold out in Melbourne or Perth. Why should be better in Chicago?
Or Brisbane.

On topic: it will be an interesting match, no doubt. The wallabies have a lot of players yet to lock down a starting spot. Very hot and humid by the looks of it too. Could be a lot of handling issues to deal with.

S

saulih

Labor day weekend was definitely not the best choice. I had the choice to go camping with this weekend (as a good percentage of families do (think of Labour Day in OZ)) , but convinced the other families going that we should have go later in the month - just so I could go to the game.

S

saulih

Why did Rugby USA want this game in Chicago if it wasn't ideal?

Easy city for people to fly in and out of. Chicago being more centrally located makes it more attractive for people traveling from the left and right coasts.

Playing matches in the Southern states at this time of year weather-wise would not be all that great either. You hear the Wallaby players complaining in the interviews about the humidity in Chicago - that is nothing compared to Houston or Georgia.

Also, the Wallabies can fly direct from Chicago to England on just a 7-8 hour flight.

Don't right off Chicago as a non-rugby town. Chicago has two teams in the Midwest Regional comp - the Lions and the Griffins. The mid-west cities have an active D1 competition that may not attract global attention, but what region of the US does?

Lets just face it, if you are a rugby guy from anywhere else in the world, would you pay money to fly and see a Wallabies match or an All-Blacks match? There is your major reason. Our brand of rugby has paled in comparison.

That's my thoughts on it anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.