• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil samson

Frank Row (1)
The Saga,

I believe your comments are extremely unfair towards Churchie. I think that it is extremely important to shake hands with the opposition at the completion of the game. At times I am sure in the excitement of winning a game the winning team may forget to do this and make there way to there supporters and there supporters going onto the field of play. ALL SCHOOLS HAVE BEING GUILTY OF THIS IN YEARS GONE BY. The other thing you need to be aware of is that it is the option of most,that Nudgee is the premier rugby school in Australia. It is not often you get a win against them and when you do you celebrate. First and foremost shake hand at the end of the battle. Then allow the boys to run on to the field and celebrate with there mates. To not allow them on to the field is a complete fast. I believe your comment "win at all cost attitude" regarding Churchie are very much a hint of sour grapes and nothing more.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
You can call it what you will RedsHappy. You saw the video; didn't look convincingly safe to me. And if your son was injured during the rush, YOU would be the first person onto the Nudgee Insurance company, wouldn't you?

No respect. Everything you said was refuted by the video. So some "do-gooder" may have a good point (for once!)? As Samoan No. 8 said and I agree "This is just plain ignorance and egotism from the Churchie supporters - disrespecting the efforts of the opposition and the nature in which GPS sport should be played." But then again what has changed? Churchie have had a win at all costs attitude as long as I have known. It was evident at the NC game this year.

Not happy with calling me a bad sport, your comments are now inferring that Nudgee College are bad sports...interesting. Well RedsHappy is everyone that you don't agree with a bad sport?

An old Dutch saying you may like:

One bag of humility is worth 6 bags of excessive pride and 12 bags of pretentiousness.

I agree with you Sage, the rule was made for a reason. There was not even enough time for the NC players to shake the hands of their oponents before they were swamped. Respect and sportmanship should be displayed in triumph and defeat by all. IMO the game is only over when the two teams have shook hands as they do before the game and then retreat to celebrate with their supporters.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Hang on is that another new boy from the Sunshine Coast in 12 - What position did he playing on Saturday 12???

Wow that is at least two 'rep players' added to the 14a squad in 2015.

;-)
Still plenty of "rep" players out there for GT to bolster their stocks for next years 15's...

Then again we might upset some parents if you bring in new players.
;-D

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Still plenty of "rep" players out there for GT to bolster their stocks for next years 15's.

Then again we might upset some parents if you bring in new players.
;-D

They do not need any more 'recruits" they have PLENTY in the pipeline.
School bus from Sunnybank Rugby Club and Wavell High School -- to GT will be ready term 1.Direct route from Cav Rd High school as well.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
The Saga,

I believe your comments are extremely unfair towards Churchie. I think that it is extremely important to shake hands with the opposition at the completion of the game. At times I am sure in the excitement of winning a game the winning team may forget to do this and make there way to there supporters and there supporters going onto the field of play. ALL SCHOOLS HAVE BEING GUILTY OF THIS IN YEARS GONE BY. The other thing you need to be aware of is that it is the option of most,that Nudgee is the premier rugby school in Australia. It is not often you get a win against them and when you do you celebrate. First and foremost shake hand at the end of the battle. Then allow the boys to run on to the field and celebrate with there mates. To not allow them on to the field is a complete fast. I believe your comment "win at all cost attitude" regarding Churchie are very much a hint of sour grapes and nothing more.

It's not unfair opinion of Churchie, it's my and others reality of the perception of Churchie. And I have, in my experience, not only played against them at the highest level, but so has my father and my son; so we have a bit of experience as a family with over 6 years at First XV level. In addition other rugby players from other schools I have know have made similar statements. Don't get me wrong that drive to win is a probably noble cause, but like everything there are lines that should be respected.

On the front that NC is the premier school, well there is a number of them in Qld, including GT, TSS & Churchie; and I'm sure that TGS and other schools have claim to their hero's. See to me it's not about being the best or whatever. It's being about learning the game of rugby and having a good time with your mates. If you have success fantastic, but winning is only part of the game.

I think it's very important to shake hands after the game and this just didn't happen. Whilst all schools may have done it in the past (run on the field), the rules have changed this year and NC has obeyed those rules. Why didn't Churchie? Look the rules are there (I didn't know of them); there must of been a good reason for that and I think at NC that decision was justified.

Sorry if I offended you with some of my comments, just seems to be my and others general feeling with how Churchie play.

Just of interest there was at least two occasions (in the most recent game) where I think the line was crossed. One I can provide a photograph the other is on video tape (and I can't reproduce), however I was probably 15m away from the incident when it happened. It was not good and involved one of your higher players. In finishing how many teams have had a red card for foul play this year?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I agree with Lindommer;

But Lindommer, the even more important statistic is how many have produced Wallaby's or even Super 15 player (of note)? And even more important how many are notable Wallaby's? And how many of them have won world cups?

The schoolboy experience is only the start of any rugby journey. This is why I don't get too excited at schoolboy level (even though the games are usually of high quality and nail biting). It's refreshing, it's vibrant but at the end of the day most of the players will ever be able to make a career of it (very few of them do) and a lot of really good schoolboy footballer fall by the weigh side, without "firing a shot".

At schoolboy stage, it's about fun and learning the skills well.

Impartial Observer

Bob McCowan (2)
The Saga,

phil samson, Today at 3:41 PM Report
#2147 Like

It's not unfair opinion of Churchie, it's my and others reality of the perception of Churchie. And I have, in my experience, not only played against them at the highest level, but so has my father and my son; so we have a bit of experience as a family with over 6 years at First XV level. In addition other rugby players from other schools I have know have made similar statements. Don't get me wrong that drive to win is a probably noble cause, but like everything there are lines that should be respected.

On the front that NC is the premier school, well there is a number of them in Qld, including GT, TSS & Churchie; and I'm sure that TGS and other schools have claim to their hero's. See to me it's not about being the best or whatever. It's being about learning the game of rugby and having a good time with your mates. If you have success fantastic, but winning is only part of the game.

I think it's very important to shake hands after the game and this just didn't happen. Whilst all schools may have done it in the past (run on the field), the rules have changed this year and NC has obeyed those rules. Why didn't Churchie? Look the rules are there (I didn't know of them); there must of been a good reason for that and I think at NC that decision was justified.

Sorry if I offended you with some of my comments, just seems to be my and others general feeling with how Churchie play.

Just of interest there was at least two occasions (in the most recent game) where I think the line was crossed. One I can provide a photograph the other is on video tape (and I can't reproduce), however I was probably 15m away from the incident when it happened. It was not good and involved one of your higher players. In finishing how many teams have had a red card for foul play this year?
I am an interested observer in this forum and it is on balance a great read and insight into the GPS Rugby program which each week I am blown away by the standard of rugby across all the A teams year groups but in particular the Firsts. But I think that you are way out of line in slandering Churchie as having some systematic attitude across the board across a number of generations as you assert - and that from a Nudgee person. If you want to get started on rowing we will need another Forum. Yes my son was a Churchie student that ran on the field after the win at Nudgee. Yes they now know that was wrong and have been told so in no uncertain terms - but they didn't know it at the time and it won't happen again. But for you to start bringing up some generational issues about Churchie Rugby at a time when Nudgee has lost the unloseable premiership to a team that wasn't expected to contend but got there on team spirit (and school spirit) is just sour grapes in my humble opinion. No doubt this will be my first and last post in this forum as I get persecuted for my comments. By the way enjoy your mid-table clash with GT on Saturday.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am an interested observer in this forum and it is on balance a great read and insight into the GPS Rugby program which each week I am blown away by the standard of rugby across all the A teams year groups but in particular the Firsts. But I think that you are way out of line in slandering Churchie as having some systematic attitude across the board across a number of generations as you assert - and that from a Nudgee person. If you want to get started on rowing we will need another Forum. Yes my son was a Churchie student that ran on the field after the win at Nudgee. Yes they now know that was wrong and have been told so in no uncertain terms - but they didn't know it at the time and it won't happen again. But for you to start bringing up some generational issues about Churchie Rugby at a time when Nudgee has lost the unloseable premiership to a team that wasn't expected to contend but got there on team spirit (and school spirit) is just sour grapes in my humble opinion. No doubt this will be my first and last post in this forum as I get persecuted for my comments. By the way enjoy your mid-table clash with GT on Saturday.

yeah agree with the generational issues... but "unloseable premiership' to a team that wasn't expected to contend? Says who? You're clearly reading into the opinions of a few posters on this forum. Remember this forum is the only place to read anything about the GPS rugby comp, but it's important to put it into context- it's the opinions of a very few rugby tragics (including myself) who may or may not know what they're talking about.

Ask anyone at Churchie, and I'm sure they were definitely expecting to contend. Ask anyone at Nudgee- it certainly wasn't a premiership taken for granted. To win a 1stXV premiership, or any premiership in any sport for that matter, requires a lot of things to go your way. Congrats to Churchie- it was their year, they won a number of tight games which could have gone either way. They managed to keep their stars on the park for every game... well played.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
They do not need any more 'recruits" they have PLENTY in the pipeline.
School bus from Sunnybank Rugby Club and Wavell High School -- to GT will be ready term 1.Direct route from Cav Rd High school as well.

If schools are going to "invest" in rugby talent they also need to invest in coaching.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Given we're talking about GT v NC 1st XV match I'm going to predict GT get smashed. NC will be hurting and the GT firsts look aimless this year.

Even in their win against TGS I thought they were poor, just seemed to be getting away with soft options. I'd have been furious if I coached TGS.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Given we're talking about GT v NC 1st XV match I'm going to predict GT get smashed. NC will be hurting and the GT firsts look aimless this year.

Even in their win against TGS I thought they were poor, just seemed to be getting away with soft options. I'd have been furious if I coached TGS.

Maybe aimless isn't the right word. 3 wins and a 2 point lass to Churchie isn't aimless.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe aimless isn't the right word. 3 wins and a 2 point lass to Churchie isn't aimless.

An good win against IGS yes, a fumbling win over BGS that should have been easier, a soft win over TGS, and Churchie played terribly against GT.

You can play aimless rugby and not get punished for it. That's why I'd have been furious with TGS against GT.

But we'll see if my prediction comes true, I'm just backing my judgement to date.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Probably didn't expect the mighty Light Dark Blue to come in at 9th.

Attachments

• Schoolboys.png
    Schoolboys.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 420

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
I would like to preface this weeks tips by saying that last week was my worst tipping week ever! Only BBC did the right thing by me, the rest of you - thanks for nothing! Nudgee what was going on? State High what team did you put out there and where was that all season? It’s a good thing I didn’t have some exotic multiples going on Sportsbet on GPS rugby, or I would have lost my shirt. Penultimate round tipping as follows:
Nudgee VS Terrace
The State of the Mick, The Super Mick, The Great Mick Off, The Biggest Micker, Master-Mick, The Mick Hotplate whatever you call it - it’s on and it’s so important they even have a lunch the day before with even more Micks eating and drinking with 400 hundred more Micks.
There’s even people who aren’t Micks, but who wish they were Micks going along.
In all seriousness though it will be a great day of GPS rugby across all age groups as both these schools have some serious depth.
In the Firsts, Terrace won’t have the firepower. They’ll have the passion but not the cattle. The Blue & white Micks to beat the Red & Black Micks for me.
Nudgee by 12
BBC Vs Grammar
Righto you boys in Blue - thanks for proving me wrong last week and ruining my tipping record just so you can chalk up a win! (nah well done - I’m happy for you).
Not sure if you will have a full strength BBC team coming at you on Saturday either, so you might well be entertaining another upset on Saturday.
However, I can’t see BBC being as bad as a disinterested Ippy side last week. In fact I’ve seen more interested people playing pokies at the Bundamba RSL on a Monday morning than what ran out in the red & white last week.
BBC have the bye in the last round and I’m pretty sure they won’t be heading up the range to play the Badlands - so this is it. It’s the final countdown and swan song for the green white and black and I can’t see them stumbling at this hurdle.
BBC by 15
Southport Vs State High
Alright what’s happened at State High? Is it a rumor or were Stephen Dank and James Hird really spied on the High sidelines last week? I want a stewards inquiry and swabs for all.
Southport you better watch out because (whatever substances are on board), State High have discovered the winning recipe. Albeit slightly late in the season. If there is another upset on the cards this weekend - then this is the game where it could happen.
Southport dads let's not go for a boogie board together before the game - get down there early and support your team and take it seriously - TSS could end up in tie 4th with State High if they lose it!
And who saw that as a possibility at the beginning of the season?
My heart says flat cap, but my head says MIlf in glow mesh.
TSS by 8
Ippy Vs Toowoomba
Righto it’s the real farmers vs the pretend farmers. The Winnie Reds vs The Rollies. The Landcruiser Vs The Pajero. It could be a great game - both teams can play and have some good forwards. As usual I think Ippy will look pretty good for the first 15 minutes and the thought of offloading the wooden spoon to Grammar will be more appealing than an unlocked car outside of the Redbank Plains KFC. But I can’t help but think the T-Ba boys will have a bit more to play for and they should get away with it.
TGS by 18

Whatsthefuss

Bob McCowan (2)
BBC 14A Team list v TSS Round2, 2015.

1.M Basil
2.H Barnett
3.R Bowyer
4.C Doe
5.H Middleton
6.L Bourne
7.L Plazibat
8.J Gallagher
9.H Walker
10.Carter Gordon
11.D Hulme
12.T Payne
13.M Stirling
14.S Ma'afu
15.E Coulston
Hang on is thatanother new boy from the Sunshine Coast in 12 - What position did he playing on Saturday 12???

Wow that is at least two 'rep players' added to the 14a squad in 2015.

;-)
Brave and Game - you probably still have the CIC Programme when these boys were in Grade 5 in 2011 - can you please check - someone's Mum told me that BBC had a boy play who knew another kid who's Dad met Jonah Lomu - and they didn't tell anyone !!
Move on people - these kids are 13 and played a terrific game. Pretty sure the boys aren't as interested in this nonsense as much as their over-invested parents seem to be !

phil samson

Frank Row (1)
Firstly I should have said that Nudgee "is one" of the premier rugby schools in Australia. Please accept my apologies all. Secondly The Sage has some really issues with Churchie the way they play there rugby. His father his son, and he himself all experienced the win at all cost attitude from Churchie. I played against Churchie and found the way they played there rugby was very similar to the other GPS schools. Your blanket statements are not worth while commenting on. You should never argue with one who is so narrow minded. Maybe it's a family trait.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Brave and Game - you probably still have the CIC Programme when these boys were in Grade 5 in 2011 - can you please check - someone's Mum told me that BBC had a boy play who knew another kid who's Dad met Jonah Lomu - and they didn't tell anyone !!
Move on people - these kids are 13 and played a terrific game. Pretty sure the boys aren't as interested in this nonsense as much as their over-invested parents seem to be !

I love how supporters from some schools like to the point the finger and make (friendly) jibes about the 'new' boys at other schools and get their noses so out of joint and try to deny it when it is reversed. Embrace your recruitment they're doing a wonderful job.

For the record I love the fact that the GPS competition is sporting the best talent available and really could care less HOW those boys arrive, I am just glad they do and I get to watch games like last weeks 14A GT V BBC.

But then something tells me I am not taking this as seriously nor am I invested nearly as much as you are??

But most of all enjoy the Rugby this weekend, I know I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.