• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon Speight would make a damned good 13 if he had the opportunity.

He was a great 13 when he filled in for TK during the season. He'll be electric .. So is To'omua still having head issues is that why his rested ?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He did a damn good job against the Cheetahs this year, but I reckon the USA would actually be a tougher opposition.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I really like this team. Gets a few guys some much needed game time, whilst also highlighting that we can field a pretty damn good second string team now. Hopefully we can score some points and put on a bit of a show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So is To'omua still having head issues is that why his rested ?

I don't think so. Seems to have been doing all the contact training. Just hasn't been selected (because Cooper is on the bench to presumably replace Foley).

I think this 9/10/12 combo of Phipps, Foley, Giteau is what we're going to see in our first RWC game against Fiji.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm really looking forward to seeing Beale at 15 this week. Last night I was watching the game from 2012? against SA on Fox. You'll remember the game because that's where Beale got his nickname "Gilbert" and where he kicked the 55m penalty to win the game. I remember it because of his play, particularly in the first half.

Beale played the whole game at 15 (pre-Folau) and I thought his running from fullback was absolutely sensational. Round that time he was considered the best fullback on the planet, better even than Dagg, though you wouldn't find a NZder who would admit it.

Now Dagg's not going and Beale is a bench option only. But if he has a blinder will we see calls for him to start? I'm assuming he will start against Uruguay, but if he plays like he played against SA ...?

That game was great for looking back at the young Aussie backline chock full of potential: Mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor), Genia playing fast, Cooper. Wonderful running rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ha, I was watching that one too. The biggest thing I took from it was Mitchell, he ran awesome lines and booted one from our 22 to about 10m from their line on the full (at altitude but still). He's going to be very important in the RWC with his left boot.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I like the team and agree that it highlights our depth.
One observation from this list is that there are quite a few players that haven't played much rugby of late;
All of the forwards have either played off the bench or are returning from injury or have not been in a 23 since the end of super xv.
All of the outside backs are in a similar scenario whilst the inside backs have been rotated.
I would expect a bit of a messy game from this team, but I think they will get home against the eagles.

Good pragmatic decisions from Cheika in naming this team.
The risk // reward here is; 2 losses in a row leading into the RWC v's resting some frontliners whilst giving some well deserved gametime to some second stringers.
Good learning for the Uruguay game to come from this.
I think Cheika can handle it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wouldn't To'omua be in the 'rested' group as he is a pretty important player for the Wallabies WC chances whether it be at 10 or 12?

It will be interesting to see how Speight goes at centre and whether the combination with Gits clicks. If he goes well he could be an ideal bench option for the big games to cover midfield and wing - assuming Tomane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) start

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Really curious as to why Cooper is not playing at 10.

Surely after the limited playing time he's had when uninjured, he should be getting as many minutes as possible to get him back into form?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Rebecca Wilson's children played rugby at Cranbrook. Didn't seem to change her rather narrow minded and prejudiced views that come out in her professional writings.

Russell Crowe is just showing that he can rise above petty inter-code parochialism and support Australia, and things Australian. Go you good thing.

T

Tip

Jesus, the amount of caps Slips has completely gotten away from me. Second highest capped player in this team and he's only in his mid 20's.

Is there enough time for Horwill to be slotted into the RWC squad when Douglas undoubtedly blows up from lack of conditioning?

He turned 26 in July. He's on 67 atm, and he'll be on 76 tests after the WC ;)
He hasn't missed a game through injury! He's phenomenal. (fingers crossed he's able to hold off the reconstruction needed on both shoulders until AFTER the WC!)
I think he'll be the first player to pass 150 test caps.

By the next World Cup, he'll be turning 30. He'll have been capped maybe 50-odd more times and pushing Gregans record.
Imagine if he has half the resilience of the Ox(duRant,38) and plays until he's 34 (the 2023 World Cup)... he'll well and truly have eclipsed All records and there will be a new GOAT!!!!!!!!! GET HYPE

Don't allow me to contemplate him playing until 38... he'll have 200 min. frothhhs

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He turned 26 in July. He's on 67 atm, and he'll be on 76 tests after the WC ;)
He hasn't missed a game through injury! He's phenomenal. (fingers crossed he's able to hold off the reconstruction needed on both shoulders until AFTER the WC!)
I think he'll be the first player to pass 150 test caps.

By the next World Cup, he'll be turning 30. He'll have been capped maybe 50-odd more times and pushing Gregans record.
Imagine if he has half the resilience of the Ox(duRant,38) and plays until he's 34 (the 2023 World Cup). he'll well and truly have eclipsed All records and there will be a new GOAT!!!!!!!!! GET HYPE

Don't allow me to contemplate him playing until 38. he'll have 200 min. frothhhs

Quick!! Tissues needed in aisle 6!

Northfleet

Frank Row (1)
Northfleet, I'm sure you have local knowledge, but are you certain of that? Approximately 15,000 tickets were sold locally in promotional schemes the week before the game, after a heavy advertising push by AIG.

Are you talking about the ABs or Wobs game? I would love to see what they call 'local'. It was a bit of hyperbole on my part. By casual, I meant your average American. Most of the people at the match in Nov were those of us lucky enough to have played the game. Everyone was in their club gear, which means they are/were players.

Status
Not open for further replies.