• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Because it actually offers more than just sport, which was my point, which you seem not to be able to grasp.
And yes, labelling schools as narrow in focus does them all a disservice. You see the headline, but cannot or will not read the fine print.
And the 2014 rankings were:-
SHS 6
SGS 11
SCEGS 27
TSC 52
TKS 58
SIC 64
SJC 72
NC 73

I appreciate these "rankings" are of limited benefit, but it seems to question your proposition regarding Scots being the worst school for HSC results.

Although if not all of your Year 12 students sit the HSC and/or don't get an ATAR it can make your results look better than they are. Nor do those results take into account the IB. The league table most quoted (probably the ones you have used) are the creation of the SMH and even they change their crtieria every couple of years.

So if your least capable students don't sit the HSC or get an ATAR, your results look better than they otherwise might be and if many of your most capable students sit the IB instead of the HSC, your results will look worse than they might otherwise be. That's before you even get into selective academic intakes, socio-economic status etc, etc, etc.;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Although if not all of your Year 12 students sit the HSC and/or don't get an ATAR it can make your results look better than they are. Nor do those results take into account the IB. The league table most quoted (probably the ones you have used) are the creation of the SMH and even they change their crtieria every couple of years.

So if your least capable students don't sit the HSC or get an ATAR, your results look better than they otherwise might be and if many of your most capable students sit the IB instead of the HSC, your results will look worse than they might otherwise be. That's before you even get into selective academic intakes, socio-economic status etc, etc, etc.;)

That's why I said "of limited benefit", but the IB numbers aren't huge in most cases, and the numbers at schools not sitting the HSC or getting an ATAR would not be likely to turn those numbers drastically on their head, I would think. I think the need to rank schools at all levels is not overly helpful, basing it in one criterion. Nonetheless, it was to show that the school in question was not the "worst performing GPS school in the HSC".
Just trying to throw some data in against the tide of "vibe".

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's why I said "of limited benefit", but the IB numbers aren't huge in most cases, and the numbers at schools not sitting the HSC or getting an ATAR would not be likely to turn those numbers drastically on their head, I would think. I think the need to rank schools at all levels is not overly helpful, basing it in one criterion. Nonetheless, it was to show that the school in question was not the "worst performing GPS school in the HSC".
Just trying to throw some data in against the tide of "vibe".

Although one GPS school has about 40 students sit the IB and their average ATAR was 97.35, so that would certainly impact their performance on the SMH league table (which only uses HSC). Another GPS school has a similar number of students who don't receive an ATAR or who do an alternate programme. In both cases about 1/5 of the year group, so enough to skew the table concerned.

I realise that you are saying the table is of limited benefit, it's probably less than that unless you are comparing like and against like, e.g. state selective v state selective, Christian Bros 5-12 v Christian Bros 5-12.

Just like NAPLAN, some (a minority) of schools have worked out ways to skew HSC results in their favour using various means.;)

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
So how many boys really end up playing for their country that played 1st XV for their GPS school that was on a bursary. Not many at all.

I have seen and know boys on bursaries at various schools, good luck to them and their parents. Some of these boys end up doing pathways and spending longer in year 12 than they should for the glory of rugby for their school trophy cabinet. And in some cases these boys don't sit for their ATAR for a good reason as the school doesn't want their HSC rankings effected.

So schools ask the boys to drop subjects that they want to do, as the school doesn't want the low marks effecting their ATAR school ranking.

Doesn't effect the bursary kids, but the school wants the full paying kiddies. For the full paying kiddie and parents there is even less chance of their son playing the highest level rugby, basketball, snow sports etc because the majority of places in the 1st whatever is taken up with kids on bursary.

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
atars rankings.jpg

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I checked into this thread about 400 posts ago and made some comment about not thinking this thread would achieve the magic 6000 posts..... Seems I was wrong. After 5891 posts the Morus Rubirosa is far from a ratty unkemp shrub in the corner of the garden..... In fact quite the opposite.... It seems to be in healthy bloom.... Apparently the nitrogen based additives that enrich the soil in this corner of the GAGR garden really do work.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I checked into this thread about 400 posts ago and made some comment about not thinking this thread would achieve the magic 6000 posts... Seems I was wrong. After 5891 posts the Morus Rubirosa is far from a ratty unkemp shrub in the corner of the garden... In fact quite the opposite.. It seems to be in healthy bloom.. Apparently the nitrogen based additives that enrich the soil in this corner of the GAGR garden really do work.
I'm starting to doubt your judgment on pies too: the question for this thread is how long until we get to 60k - if we can drag cyclo in no one can resist the siren's song

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If we are going to talk team number in rugby as opposed to soccer by school, we should at least try to establish the relative numbers beforehand.

From my research the numbers go something like:

Legend Total(Open/16/15/14/13)

Joeys
Rugby 41(13/7/7/6/8)
Soccer 16 (5/3/3/3/2)

Riverview
unable to find accurate numbers

Scots
Rugby 30(7/6/3/8/6)
Soccer 24 (9/3/2/5/5)

Kings
Rugby 29(10/4/5/4/6)
Soccer 37 (9/6/7/6/9)

Shore
Rugby 30(8/5/5/5/7)
Soccer 27(8/4/5/5/5)

Newington
Rugby 22(6/2/4/5/5)
Soccer 36(9/6/6/7/8)

Grammar
Rugby 13(3/2/2/3/3)
Soccer 36(8/6/6/8/8)

High
Rugby 10(2/2/2/2/2)
Soccer 33(10/5/6/6/6)

Armidale
unable to find accurate numbers

Whatever you want to say about the Doctor's methods and motivations, he has increased the numbers playing rugby at Scots.

Looking at JoeysRugby Twitter & http://www.riverview.nsw.edu.au/sports-fixtures/, it seems that the figures for Riverview are:

Riverview
Rugby 35 (9/6/7/6/7)
Soccer 27 (8/5/5/4/5)
Aust Rules 2
<snip>

Armidale
Rugby 11 (3,2,2,2,2)
Soccer 7 (3,2,0,2,0) Possibly U16's are U15/U16 combined and same for the U14's.

http://www.as.edu.au/content/uploads/2015/08/Fixture-Information-v-Scots-15-.pdf
http://www.as.edu.au/content/uploads/2015/04/Staff-Allocation-winter-2015.pdf

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Was Guy Porter (OS 2014) on a scholarship? I believe he performed very strongly in the HSC and ended up with an ATAR around 99 (all of his subjects were accredited). If so, Scots could obviously claim it was an academic scholarship, he'd be top 5-10 at any GPS school bar Grammar and High.

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
Any news or speculation on new talent being parachuted into any rugby programmes for next year?? I previously posted info in regard to ISA player switching to the CAS however forum gods decided to delete.

Daniel Bothma

Frank Row (1)
Hi, new to the forum (and Australia in general).

This might not be the best post to ask this , but...

I have a son who played his first year rugby last year, and showed a lot of promise. His team went on to win the U11 Northern Beaches comp in Sydney.

I would like to consider putting him in a good "rugby" school to help him develop his talents, but am finding it very difficult to decipher the various websites that have anything to say about rugby schools in Sydney.

From what I have gathered so far, it seems you have to go to a private school (assumption correct?), and that playing for a club team (e.g. Waringah) won't help you (assumption correct?).

So, having said that, does anybody have suggestions as to what would be the best (or at least good) way to approach this?

Thanks for help a rugby mad Canuck family

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hi DB/ "mad Canuck family "

Welcome to the Sydney Rugby Scene and welcome to GAGR.

I assume your son is in year 5 at a Public Primary School on the Northern Beaches?

You reference a Nthn Beaches Comp so I assume that was some form of school based comp for Northern Sydney Zone?

In Primary school (other than these type of tournaments/gala days) the only schools that play regular season Rugby are the Private Schools. Through Primary School, notwithstanding the parents view, its all pretty relaxed and is about participation rather than winning a cup.

If you want to play a regular Rugby competition in 2016, you should join a local Junior Rugby Club and play in the SJRU competition which plays 14 week regular competition season in Winter on Sunday. Here is a link to the ARU site that has a find your local club tool http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/Playing/U6-U12.aspx

The Age Groups are determined by the age your child turns in the year he is playing. So I assume he would be in under 12s in 2016.

If he's good enough he can trial for Junior District Reps which is a whole other level. Warringah it appears would be your district. They play the State Championships on the June long weekend.

Big fan of supporting your local village club as its a great way to integrate into the community. Standard of competition will vary depending on the size of the club. If you want a larger more competitive club, Harbord Seaforth and Newport are stronger clubs on the Northern Beaches but he should play with his mates from your local community.

Club Rugby is the best way to get him greater exposure to the game to see if you really want to select a school on the basis of the Rugby pedigree :rolleyes: . He can also play Junior Club Rugby up to U18 so he doesn't have to go to a Private School.

I would suggest you search the GAGR forums for a run down on any school you are considering to get a feel for their Rugby "prowess". Rest assured you will discover which schools are doing well and those that aren't!

Schools fall into a number of different sporting associations; GPS,CAS,CHS, and ISA. Again search GAGR forums to get a greater understanding of each competition. As you will discover there is a mountain of debate of which school is the strongest school across competitions!

Enjoy and good luck!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi, new to the forum (and Australia in general).

This might not be the best post to ask this , but.

I have a son who played his first year rugby last year, and showed a lot of promise. His team went on to win the U11 Northern Beaches comp in Sydney.

I would like to consider putting him in a good "rugby" school to help him develop his talents, but am finding it very difficult to decipher the various websites that have anything to say about rugby schools in Sydney.

From what I have gathered so far, it seems you have to go to a private school (assumption correct?), and that playing for a club team (e.g. Waringah) won't help you (assumption correct?).

So, having said that, does anybody have suggestions as to what would be the best (or at least good) way to approach this?

Thanks for help a rugby mad Canuck family
The best rugby is played in the independent (private) schools, but some public schools play rugby. The problem you will have is finding an enrolment vacancy at one of the top rugby schools. So it might be a case of what schools are available for a late intake rather than what school you would like. fees vary greatly between schools also will depend on religion. So for Catholic on North side of the city, Oakhill, Riverview, St Augustines and St Josephs are all very strong rugby. Anglican & uniting, Knox, Barker & shore (but you have no chance of a place at Shore) I am sure others will have suggestions

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Good summation NIS

So for Catholic on North side of the city, Oakhill, Riverview, St Augustines and St Josephs are all very strong rugby. Anglican & uniting, Knox, Barker & shore

Not sure which Public Schools play in a regular High School Rugby competition.

I would add St Pius at Chatswood to that list of strong Catholic Rugby Schools and St Aloysius as another Catholic Rugby school.

Other alts are additional GPS Schools; Kings, Newington, Scots, Grammar?, High? but all are a distance to travel.

Agree biggest issue will be getting in. Admissions are tight/impossible albeit you are an expat so they may be more accommodating. Grammar and High have academic admission criteria as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.